PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughs on future development

Jekky
04-26-2014, 09:17 PM
I see a lot of potential with this, especially the modding side of things, it's already great, though i think there are areas which could be improved on:

Camera controls:
The camera controls seem a bit too complex, and they seem to lack some of the actions i would like to be able to perform. I would probably suggest something like the following:

W/A/S/D: move camera on the same plane as the table top (probably X/Z)
Q/E: rotate camera left/right
Mousewheel: zoom camera
Hold right mouse: free rotate/tilt (with sanity limits, camera tilt limited to between looking directly down and looking horizontally across the table)

any other camera control is likely to be un-needed, or only used rarely, so could use CTRL/ALT versions of the ones described above.

Scripts:
I'm not sure about the ability of Unity to handle user scripts, but i assume there is a way (using Mono.CSharp.Evaluator, might be possible to use c# for scripting, there are probably LUA bindings available, etc).

Scripts would be very useful as a way to extend the game (see modding), and as a way to implement rules for games (though i understand that not all players would want enforced rules as it might detract from the open sandbox nature of the tabletop). If scripts allow access to the UI, they could also be used to allow modders to provide extra buttons for functionality specific to their game modes.

As a base, scripts would probably have to provide a startup and shutdown function.. everything else would probably be basedo n handling events from the game engin (object picked up, object placed, card dealt, button clicked, etc, etc).

Modding/Game Modes:
The current system has a lot of limitations (you can only add textures, not objects, and the textures loaded from URLs are not cached, if the web server hosting the images goes down, the mod will not work).

I would love to see a more full featured modding system, something along these lines:

A "mods" folder in the game directory (or more likely my docs or appdata (or /home) or somewhere else without so many permission issues). Each mod then gets either a folder or a zip file (easier for users to install if they don't have to unzip stuff) inside the mods folder.

Each mod containing the following:

*Manifest file (probably XML?) detailing all of the following items, giving the mod a name, description, author, etc.
*Custom table (3d model + texture), if not supplied, use one of the default tables (manifest can specify which one to use)
*Custom game pieces (3d models + textures), listed in the manifest with categories, names, etc so they can be added the the spawn items menu
*Custom card decks (textures), again, manifest can specify details (number of cards in texture, maybe the size of the cards too)
(side note: options for 2-sided cards might be nice)
*Scripts (see above), a script file specified in the manifest which can be used for detailed custom setup and/or actions (for example, rather than using a saved state with pieces laid out for every player, a script could create pieces/chips/money/etc only for the players actually in the game)
*Rules (textures) - a series of textures which can be displayed as a "rule book" for the player.