PDA

View Full Version : New forum/subforum request

Zamorak789
05-13-2014, 11:38 AM
First off, I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong place. Please feel free to move it, but I didn't see a suggestion area for the forums themselves.

Anyway, onto my suggestion/request.
We have a large roleplaying community, at least from what I've seen. I think it'd at least be worth a shot to create a subforum for forum roleplaying. I know I'd be active in it, and even willing to help you guys with rules for the subforum as well as helping out others to make forum roleplays.

I'm an active roleplayer on several forums. It's something I immensely enjoy, and would like to do here, as I think our community would benefit and enjoy it. Thanks for your time, and if not, no hard feelings. Love the game, more than I could've ever asked for to begin with!

Hey guys, if you'd like this, please comment below! Enough support = this getting made. Many thanks!

jay_rab
05-13-2014, 12:53 PM
in the past the http://www.berserk-games.com/forum/looking-for-players/ has been the jumping board for the roleplay community and then how they interact with one another as far as story and working out details has always been done privately. I know a couple times I have also posted some exscripts in the off topic board of some of our adventures ( http://www.berserk-games.com/forum/anything-goes-1/171/ ) but ideally what would you feel the community would be posting that it would be better fit in a forum of its own?

Zamorak789
05-13-2014, 01:31 PM
jay_rab said

in the past the http://www.berserk-games.com/forum/looking-for-players/ has been the jumping board for the roleplay community and then how they interact with one another as far as story and working out details has always been done privately. I know a couple times I have also posted some exscripts in the off topic board of some of our adventures ( http://www.berserk-games.com/forum/anything-goes-1/171/ ) but ideally what would you feel the community would be posting that it would be better fit in a forum of its own?

I don't mean DnD. I mean forum roleplay. Text only.

QQuixotic
05-13-2014, 04:01 PM
I have to admit I'm actually rather partial to forum rps- but I'm curious if they'd fit our current forums. I can certainly see their use if enough users are interested in them, so perhaps this should be left to a poll.
I recommend updating your OP with either a poll or telling users interested to post in this thread to voice their opinion.
An rp subforum would help generate interest in the forums and build community, so if we can get enough interest it would be worth looking into!

Kimiko
05-14-2014, 08:27 AM
I'm totally fine with adding a roleplaying sub-section. I know text roleplaying is pretty popular and sites I've run in the past were big on it. Just give me some suggestions on what you'd like to have and I can get it setup if the interest is there.

Mark
05-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Would a roleplaying forum really fit here though? This is a game-specific forum. Unless the thread is to do with roleplaying in-game (i.e. Dungeons & Dragons) then it's not really necessary. Roleplayers can go elsewhere on the web to do that kind of thing. Plus it would attract people who don't play the game, and don't plan to play, into the community. Personally I'd just find that annoying.

EDIT: This is coming from someone who used to forum roleplay.

Zamorak789
05-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Mark said

Would a roleplaying forum really fit here though? This is a game-specific forum. Unless the thread is to do with roleplaying in-game (i.e. Dungeons & Dragons) then it's not really necessary. Roleplayers can go elsewhere on the web to do that kind of thing. Plus it would attract people who don't play the game, and don't plan to play, into the community. Personally I'd just find that annoying.

EDIT: This is coming from someone who used to forum roleplay.

Users who don't play can be attracted, and thus through the attraction buy the game. Tons of forums do this, and a couple were done by me in requesting it.
Examples:
The Dead Linger forums
Minecraft forums
Starbound forums
Terraria forums
And many, many more.

Also, how do I add a poll? I was looking under the edit thing, didn't see anything for that.

QQuixotic
05-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Zamorak789 said
Also, how do I add a poll? I was looking under the edit thing, didn't see anything for that.

To be honest, I wrote that on the phone and have no idea if the forums actually support polls. I guess not. Either way, this thread is the appropriate place for users to express interest. Kimi has already said it sounds like a good idea if users express interest for it (in this thread).

Zamorak789
05-14-2014, 12:31 PM
QQuixotic said

Zamorak789 said

To be honest, I wrote that on the phone and have no idea if the forums actually support polls. I guess not. Either way, this thread is the appropriate place for users to express interest. Kimi has already said it sounds like a good idea if users express interest for it (in this thread).

It's all cool, man. And I added that just now.

jay_rab
05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
If we are dealing with a single subforum for a forum rp section I think it would be a bit misplaced, though I greatly enjoy forum roleplays most users who do paragraph+ length roleplays are wanting a full forum to themselves and not just a single section as you will want to deal with different areas, different stories, and character creations, on top of currently with how this forum is set up there is no way for the original poster to moderate their own forums which could be an issue if someone just wants to comment or joke around in their post. In the case of the forums that were suggested as an example though moderators are managing it on behalf of the users, which if the community wants to invest in the same way as the suggested examples then I have no issues helping out in that regard, I just see this as something very limiting for those who are wanting to forum roleplay.

Zamorak789
05-15-2014, 09:24 AM
jay_rab said

If we are dealing with a single subforum for a forum rp section I think it would be a bit misplaced, though I greatly enjoy forum roleplays most users who do paragraph+ length roleplays are wanting a full forum to themselves and not just a single section as you will want to deal with different areas, different stories, and character creations, on top of currently with how this forum is set up there is no way for the original poster to moderate their own forums which could be an issue if someone just wants to comment or joke around in their post. In the case of the forums that were suggested as an example though moderators are managing it on behalf of the users, which if the community wants to invest in the same way as the suggested examples then I have no issues helping out in that regard, I just see this as something very limiting for those who are wanting to forum roleplay.

Well I would expect one of the rules for the subforum being that you aren't allowed to post random things to an IC thread of a RP, especially if you aren't a part of it. Usually a RP forum would consist of users making an OOC (Out of character) post for the story, applications, and et cetera, then the IC (In character) post where everyone actually RPs. If someone wants the dedicated paragraph+ kind of RP, they simply make it a rule for their own RP in their OOC. Although I don't think you'd get much that way. I'd be willing to moderate the subforum, not that I think it'd happen xD

jay_rab
05-15-2014, 03:33 PM
So to clarify the request is to have a single forum, users will dictate whether the post is (IC) or (OOC) in which one RP will only have a single IC and a single OOC thread.

And in that regard there wont be a need for a moderator just to be over the single area, it would just be included as a general moderator task

Zamorak789
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
jay_rab said

So to clarify the request is to have a single forum, users will dictate whether the post is (IC) or (OOC) in which one RP will only have a single IC and a single OOC thread.

And in that regard there wont be a need for a moderator just to be over the single area, it would just be included as a general moderator task

'Twas a joke. Anyway, yes. Go to the starbound forums and look at their RP forum. It's very well laid out (Also you'll find me and several of my RPs there xD) and well, perfect really. As long as certain rules are set (Such as keeping IC threads strictly IC) it would work out well.

Kimiko
05-16-2014, 06:15 AM
We can have an RP section and it can have a couple areas in it. One for general OOC chat and one strictly for RP.

Zamorak789
05-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Kimi said

We can have an RP section and it can have a couple areas in it. One for general OOC chat and one strictly for RP.

Fan-tas-tic! I'll type up something in the OOC section when it's up for new roleplayers and various tips.

QQuixotic
05-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Kimi said

Text-based murder, here I come!

Zamorak789
05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
QQuixotic said

Kimi said

Text-based murder, here I come!

I know, right? Can't you just feeeel it? xD

Kimiko
05-27-2014, 07:43 AM
I *almost* forgot about this, but I need some ideas for names before I do this. I need a name for the Category of the forum and then the names for the 2 sub-forums. Make it good! http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

jay_rab
05-27-2014, 10:52 AM
My suggestions:

Category name: Dungeon Keep
Out of Character: Party Prep (setup, discussion, DM and rules)
In Character: Roleplay Dungeons (Story threads)

Zamorak789
05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Kimi said

I *almost* forgot about this, but I need some ideas for names before I do this. I need a name for the Category of the forum and then the names for the 2 sub-forums. Make it good! http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

I like this immensely.

Kimiko
05-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Alright, I'm going with what jay_rab put... although Party Prep... haha http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

QQuixotic
05-27-2014, 11:41 AM
jay_rab said

My suggestions:

Category name: Dungeon Keep
Out of Character: Party Prep (setup, discussion, DM and rules)
In Character: Roleplay Dungeons (Story threads)

My vote would for Out of Character is 'The Tavern' (because all good adventures meet in a tavern)!

Kimiko
05-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Alright, new section is up (with The Tavern!)

Zamorak, I've made you moderator of that section, so have fun with it! Might want to bring some people in too to get it going xD

Zamorak789
05-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Kimi said

Alright, new section is up (with The Tavern!)

Zamorak, I've made you moderator of that section, so have fun with it! Might want to bring some people in too to get it going xD

Woo http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
I shall!

QQuixotic
05-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Zamorak789 said

Woo http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
I shall!
Congrats! I expect neat things coming out of that subforum- so make sure to throw some good RPs. http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Mark
07-20-2014, 12:17 AM
So this forum was a huge success then *cough* not *cough*.

I can imagine why you'd think it would be a good idea, but there are alot of other places where it's probably easier to roleplay than here on the Tabletop Simulator forum. No-one's going to search in "roleplaying forum" in Google and come to this site are they?

There's been a few character sheets but other than that it's been hugely inactive.

Kimiko
07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I think for now it's going to be removed since it hasn't been used at all. I'm going to be putting another sub-forum in its place which will be used more efficiently. I agree that this place is probably not the best place for roleplaying, but it's always worth a shot http://www.berserk-games.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Zamorak, you can PM me if you'd like to discuss this later. ( I saved the messages in the forum for you )