Thread: Obligatory Oculus Rift thread

Obligatory Oculus Rift thread

Berserk Games has backed out of their Oculus Rift deal, due undoubtedly to the Oculus Rift being bought out by the notorious assholes of social networking: Facebook. Zuckerberg has already mentioned things like 'served advertisements' and 'social platform', more or less skipping the coffin and throwing Oculus Rift into a roughly dug grave.
    Well, I don't blame y'all for pulling out of Oculus Rift, but I have to ask if you have any future plans for VR. Any chance you'll be looking into other indie solutions as they crop up, or maybe Sonys own solution (if it's open to modders and development)? What would Facebook need to do to show you that OR isn't dead and reinstate the support?

There's still always a possibility in the future. And when you think about it, Oculus Rift support wouldn't have come for some time anyways. With that in mind, we're always open to the idea of VR in general, so we'll just have to see what happens in the future. We still have all the stretch goals before Oculus Rift as well, so we'll focus on those first and then we'll see what's to come. It's still really early to decide.

Kimi said

There's still always a possibility in the future. And when you think about it, Oculus Rift support wouldn't have come for some time anyways. With that in mind, we're always open to the idea of VR in general, so we'll just have to see what happens in the future. We still have all the stretch goals before Oculus Rift as well, so we'll focus on those first and then we'll see what's to come. It's still really early to decide.

I would of never supported the idea of having Oculus Rift for this game if I knew that facebook was going to do this, personally i am ok with taking a step back from it till the equipment comes around that is suitable for tabletop simulator, this also explains why sony starting making their own VR kit as there were dev teams who were working on playstation games for use with the Oculus Rift, glad they are able to get away from it and I hope Kimi and Kril can find something else as well.

I never cared for the direction of that stretch-goal to begin with. Jus' sayin'.

Djemps said

I never cared for the direction of that stretch-goal to begin with. Jus' sayin'.

I personally disagree. Upgrade the panorama to something cooler and you've got yourself a bitchin' setup. Like Knights of Pen and Paper, imagine as you play you're transported to the appropriate location. Role playing on a pirate ship? Your table is in a pirate ship. Move to a dark and scary dungeon? Make it look like you're playing in a dark dungeon!

Djemps said

Honestly, I can kind of see where you're coming from. I personally think it would be more of an inconvenience than it's worth to strap that thing to my head every time I wanted to play a simple table top game. Also I'd rather click and drag the camera than have to move my head around to rotate around the table.

I mean, who knows, maybe they would have (or will?) make it in such a way that I'll change my mind, but I just can't really see myself ever using it.

NightCrest said

Djemps said

Honestly, I can kind of see where you're coming from. I personally think it would be more of an inconvenience than it's worth to strap that thing to my head every time I wanted to play a simple table top game. Also I'd rather click and drag the camera than have to move my head around to rotate around the table.

I mean, who knows, maybe they'd would have (or will?) make it in such a way that I'll change my mind, but I just can't really see myself ever using it.

generally these tools are played with a controller of sorts, so turning the table likely would of been something that the controller would of done not the head controls, were the head unit would come into play would be you taking on the role of player in how he sees the world now so much how he controls it.

jay_rab said

NightCrest said

Djemps said

I mean, who knows, maybe they'd would have (or will?) make it in such a way that I'll change my mind, but I just can't really see myself ever using it.

generally these tools are played with a controller of sorts, so turning the table likely would of been something that the controller would of done not the head controls, were the head unit would come into play would be you taking on the role of player in how he sees the world now so much how he controls it.

In that case, my issue would be that rotating the camera via traditional controls might be a bit of an immersion breaker (your head is now rotating all on it's own) which would sort of ruin the point imo. If all it is is a screen that fills my entire vision, I think I'd prefer my computer screen.

I can understand if the acquisition is a game-changer here, still I think it's too soon to simply write it off and a no go. With Oculus rift (or some other VR support) it would only make the game more immersive for those who choose to use it and have the necessary equipment. I have to admit though, that I'm even more excited about the potential of AR.

I honestly don't care about FB buying Oculus one bit. It has no negative effect on anything, at least not in the short-term. All I care about is VR succeeding to become a thing.
    And every time a dev says "I'm canceling Rift support because of FB" I lose all respect for them (Notch). It shows ignorance of the situation, and seems rather childish.
    Don't promise VR, and then cancel it because of something like this. Until VR is a successful industry, the Rift is the ONLY VR available. And games canceling Rift support means VR has less games, and less a chance at success.

Worry about companies and their morals, After VR is here to stay, and we have competition to choose from. That wont happen until VR proves itself, which it can't do without games.

Amantis said

Thankfully that wont happen. And by the time anything remotely like that might, we'll have competitors to choose from.
    Oculus wont be changing their branding to FB, and they wont close off the system like that. DK2 and CV1 will arrive the same as Oculus originally intended, without any harm by FB. If anything, FB will speed up the process, and afford them better parts, that's it. Anything else would do more harm than good, and they know it.

OkinSama said
    Worry about companies and their morals, After VR is here to stay, and we have competition to choose from. That wont happen until VR proves itself, which it can't do without games.

the issue here is that would be like saying which do you want to pick Google or Yandex for your search engine, ofcourse there is a good deal that will pick Yandex, but overall the market share is going to be going to google. companies agreeing to support facebook are agreeing to the direction that facebook wants to take the tech in. if we are really supporting competition then it is not in the gaming market if we allow facebook to bring us into that age.

also why is it bad that companies are pulling out of something they dont support, we did it with the xbox one as customers and they made changes to get some of their userbase back, rather this is a move to say "hey this is were we stand, if you want to have me you better show me something" and that is the stance of the devs here, they havent said no to the idea, it was way in the future anyways this is just a fyi to the userbase that this may not be the best route for them to take.

jay_rab said
    the issue here is that would be like saying which do you want to pick Google or Yandex for your search engine, ofcourse there is a good deal that will pick Yandex, but overall the market share is going to be going to google. companies agreeing to support facebook are agreeing to the direction that facebook wants to take the tech in. if we are really supporting competition then it is not in the gaming market if we allow facebook to bring us into that age.

also why is it bad that companies are pulling out of something they dont support, we did it with the xbox one as customers and they made changes to get some of their userbase back, rather this is a move to say "hey this is were we stand, if you want to have me you better show me something" and that is the stance of the devs here, they havent said no to the idea, it was way in the future anyways this is just a fyi to the userbase that this may not be the best route for them to take.
    The difference here is that VR is still a very fragile new thing, that has failed repeatedly in the past, partly because it didn't get enough software support.
    Pulling out of Xbox One doesn't kill the whole gaming industry, or even just the Xbox.. But enough devs backing out of Rift development could kill the entire VR industry's chances for good.
    Sure, I'm probably exaggerating.. But that's how I'm looking at this.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. Not because I would have backed down, considering I made my pledge before the OR stretch was announced. However I did still hope for OR support and that was granted with the stretch goal. I'm not mad about the team is pulling out either. Though I do feel like it's a quick reaction, a bit too quick. Which an awfull lot of people did when it was announced. No one really knows wether the deal is good or not, but either way it's a bit silly to pull out before knowing. Especially when it's a promise made to the backers, and when a lot of backers pledged due to the fact of there being OR support at some point in time.
    (I know that it's been stated above by a dev that there is always a chance of resubmitting and make support in the future. But wouldn't it have been better to wait and see if it was actually bad before leaving a ship that might not be sinking?)

I don't follow these forums very often. Infact this is the first time I'm posting here, so Hi! everyone.

However what I'm disappointed about is that I had to find out about this via a reddit post made today. (10-04-14 Europe)
    It's kinda a big deal considering it was a Stretch Goal. The only update was a comment. That feels a bit sloppy. The least the team could have done was to make a proper update to the kickstarter page, or send out a mail to the backers about this. Not hating, just saying. ^_^'

jay_rab said

The different is that the Xbox One backlash was over features of the system. The Oculus Rift pullout is a reaction to one company they have no relation to acquiring another company they have no relation to with no changes made to the end product.

Karmond said

jay_rab said

The different is that the Xbox One backlash was over features of the system. The Oculus Rift pullout is a reaction to one company they have no relation to acquiring another company they have no relation to with no changes made to the end product.

the differences is it was also based with customers and not companies, there are a tons of differences that ether of us didnt state to make them far from relating to one another, we can call this not comparing apples to apples but the example was to help understand a business practice not a situation and fairly complex one at that ^_^ we deal in a market that deals less with real figures and more with predicted outcomes and we make choices in that market based on how we feel it is moving and we dont buy low just because its low in stocks but because we believe that its outcome will turn out higher in the same way business' like facebook are being feed information that they will have to act on or willingly not act on, and they have to make a bet, companies backing out on them makes the bet much more risky and means there may be room for them to work with us, but leaving them to their current merits will mean that they will shape how VR looks in the future.

Thank you for your time.

First off just like the majority of you (oh yes I was here the days after the announcement) we were very emotional to find out about the decision of the FB acquisition. I made a snap decision to cancel the order for the Rift as many people were doing that same day.

The following couple of days after things had a chance to cool off the Rift team asked for an email confirmation to cancel the order. I did not respond so the Rift was never actually canceled. The failure here was to communicate this fact with the backers. I'm not going to make an excuses that we had 5 patches since the campaign ended and Steam Early Access is around the corner. My apologies for not conveying this properly. We are NOT abandoning the Rift Stretch Goal.

Knil said

We are NOT abandoning the Rift Stretch Goal.

Huzzah!

OkinSama said

I honestly don't care about FB buying Oculus one bit. It has no negative effect on anything, at least not in the short-term. All I care about is VR succeeding to become a thing.
    And every time a dev says "I'm canceling Rift support because of FB" I lose all respect for them (Notch). It shows ignorance of the situation, and seems rather childish.
    Don't promise VR, and then cancel it because of something like this. Until VR is a successful industry, the Rift is the ONLY VR available. And games canceling Rift support means VR has less games, and less a chance at success.

Notch canceled the deal with OR because his deal with with the team at OR. I agree with him that he didn't throw down $10,000 to fund a Facebook start-up.
    Facebook is known for privacy lawsuits, misuse of user information, and shady (sometimes illegal) gathering of information on users. 'Users' of Facebook and Facebook products are the product being sold, and the people in the VR community don't wanna be sold.
    Facebook has shown time and time again to have the reverse-midas touch. It's fine for parents or kids just looking for something to flip through, but anyone serious to any capacity will NOT touch anything Facebook touches. It's simply not worth it.

Knil said
    We are NOT abandoning the Rift Stretch Goal.

Honestly an unexpected decision. I am happy to hear it, as I'm still very interested in the future of VR, but still.

I am very excited about the Oculus Riftt, and I don't see anything bad coming out of the Facebook buyout. The Oculus Rift is hardware. Not software. All of the software side of the Rift is drivers and the like. The Oculus is like a monitor or controller. I just don't see what information Facebook could take from it. Anything Facebook makes that utilizes the Rift will be optional. All this stuff about Farmville VR is dumb. You don't have to play Farmville. The Rift is used in other game engines such as Unity(Which is what Tabletop Simulator uses), Unreal Engine 4, and Cryenigne 3. The founders of Oculus have clearly stated that any kind of infringement by Facebook will make them leave immediately.

When Facebook bought Oculus, they instantly started hiring a good number of people. Sounds like good news to me.