Thread: Cheers & What Exactly Have I Gotten Myself Into Here? lol ;p

Cheers & What Exactly Have I Gotten Myself Into Here? lol ;p

Cheers All,

So I bought this game thinking it'd be fun to whip up a quick Hollywood Gin simulator (basically a messed up more difficult version of Gin Rummy) by Father's Day. We grew up playing this game and since I never get a chance to see the bloke now... Seems simple enough considering the complexity of some of the games, but honestly navigating the interface thus far? Sheesh!

Would *love* (as in gladly pay someone to...) some direction/links to an actual tutorial or template for basic cards as the entire process of where to start here is pretty confusing for a new gamer. While I'm quite familiar with c++ vb.net html & concepts of programming, the layout of new-age games such of these or like even smart-phone app/texting technology is quite beyond us old-timers (OK early 40s... still not really a "gamer").

Again, hello all/Kimko and look forward to plugging something out quicklike, as well as joining the community here ;p

- Eliot

PS - useful links could include:

* link to current basic card mods
    * link to card mod tutorial
    * instructions on how to start
    * is there a list of current game mods I could browse online? couldn't find it if so!

Btw, since I see this as basically writing a new piece of software I'd gladly Paypal one of you pros the income to buy some friendly beers for the time put in tutoring or even completing the project/template to show my appreciation *wink*

Do you just need a standard deck of cards to play your game? Sounds to me like you need help with the basics more than anything else. On my phone right now, but unless someone beats me to it, I'll try to get some sort of tutorial put together to help you (no charge -- will just be happy to help).

Mostly just need to know what you need to play your game (as in, components).

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Foil View Post
    Do you just need a standard deck of cards to play your game? Sounds to me like you need help with the basics more than anything else. On my phone right now, but unless someone beats me to it, I'll try to get some sort of tutorial put together to help you (no charge -- will just be happy to help).

Mostly just need to know what you need to play your game (as in, components).
    Hey yea I've found a lot in last 2 hrs and yes you hit nail on head. For example found Steam Workshop, and couple tutorials on U-Tube. Still working tho... PM or hope to steam chat soon.

FYI - I'm still new to the Steam *** tech things you can do too, lol ;p

- E

PS - and you gotta let me buy you a beer at least mate!

And yes, it's a standard 52 deck of playing cards. Nothing freaky like I said. (Tho in the *future* this client would be perfect for mimicing some of the old-school Steve Jackson games I grew up playing out of those old Dragon Magazines come to think of it!)

Misread...

All need is basic deck of playing cards, but also ability for either of us to "see" the scoring sheet which one of us (decided) would be doing w/a mock pencil/paper on the side. Hollywood Gin is unique in that "three" games actually being scored at once... we always added the house rule too that if a math or card scoring mistake was ever made (but sometimes not caught) there would be a penalty, adding for a bit more of the bluff aspect and thus fun!

Perhaps adding some insult/sass buttons along the side could click on if not using voice or that would randomly go off? Clearing of the throat, cough... or a random change of background? Spilled cup of coffee or gin/tonic chance? Lol... whatever man

Hello and welcome!

First thing you want to do is play the mini tutorial in game and then check out the control scheme menu for the full list of keys/commands. There's so many though that we're running out of room! Press the ? or / key to bring this up.

The next thing you want to do is go through our video tutorial series, which you can find here: http://berserk-games.com/wiki/tutorial-series

There's also the Wiki with some info: http://tabletopsimulator.gamepedia.c...Simulator_Wiki

And some great guides on the community hub: http://steamcommunity.com/app/286160/guides

Modding and such would be under the part 5 video tutorial "Custom Content".

A list of mods can be found on the Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/app/286160/workshop

Hope that helps get you started. Thanks!

Thanks Kimiko

Took a couple hrs after some errands and yes, this all got me started just great Kimiko! Btw, it's so great to see a talented female dev get some respect out there in the public putting out a great program like this. Such a captivating voice in your UT tutorials too, props from a new fan!

Experience w/modding going back 20 yrs (old enough to remember MUDs?) so got a template dealing req #cards made before had to pick the kid up. Having other obligations, still thinking might put request to pay for a real-time TS "mod tutor" on this forum, even a 1-hour steamchat session while I whip the rest of this relatively simple game idea out would help me get back to real life if you catch my drift. Just basic stuff like how to force a discard pile stack to stack but NOT necessarily stack neatly or how to rearrange your dealt cards w/out them stacking on top of one another. Seriously, looking at the Workshop, the project I'm making is child's play. Would it be a conflict of interest me posting such a request on these forums?

No biggie if so. I'd be happy to click something to your "donate" button too btw if you have one (already told a few I know about this)! I've never seen a software idea like this before, very cool and incredibly open-ended tool for creative minds to use... Cheers for now, Eliot