Thread: Mod management - caching, organising

Mod management - caching, organising

Hello, greetings from Poland.
    I recently purchased TS and have few observations about it.
    Most of trouble for me is caused by mod management. Putting all cached mods to one folder seems to be a bit messy. Probably idea is not new, but my suggestions abut this are as follows:
    1. Making separate folders for each mod cached locally. This will make more easy backups for chosen mods.
    - would be great to name folders by name of the mod, but the Workshop ID number would be sufficient.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. English is not my native language.

edit:
    This post has been changed. I will split my ideas to separate messages.
    Last edited by Majoris; 07-06-2015 at 06:44 AM.

+1 for everything, especially mod-named folders.

Since objects can be saved to chest and moved in and out of different saves, if I separated everything into folders there would be a lot of duplication.

Quote Originally Posted by Majoris View Post
    Hello, greetings from Poland.
    I recently purchased TS and have few observations about it.
    Most of trouble for me is caused by mod management. Putting all cached mods to one folder seems to be a bit messy. Probably idea is not new, but my suggestions abut this are as follows:
    1. Making separate folders for each mod cached locally. This will make more easy backups for chosen mods.
    - would be great to name folders by name of the mod, but the Workshop ID number would be sufficient.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. English is not my native language.

edit:
    This post has been changed. I will split my ideas to separate messages.
    Majoris, if your largest concern is backing up, try this https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopsim...predownloader/

Developer is always right . Joke.

em - thank you for the link. Small tool and works like a charm! Does the job!

Symbolic links to files in mod folders

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    Since objects can be saved to chest and moved in and out of different saves, if I separated everything into folders there would be a lot of duplication.
    Couldn't you make the chest and saves use symbolic links to the separated folders, and that way keep the organization without duplicating the files? You'd want to change the uninstall procedure to exclude linked files from deletion, or have uninstall replace the links with the files and have some duplication, so that uninstallation wouldn't result in dead links, but otherwise it would be pretty doable, I think.

Cheers!

--holtje

I must admit, that TTS Getter has solved my problem. This is still thrid party soft, but does the job. I have backed up ~400 mods that I'm interrested, or I plan to be . This is all well organised in separate foldes, so in case of need for backup I have the easy to find source.
    Of course it would be much easier to use this feature within the game itself but for now I'm sattisfied.