Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TTS Mod Backup tool

Puzzling myself about some of what the tool's read-out means:

What does it mean when the app indicates, through the numbers and orange highlights, that a Mod or a Save has "missing files" while others don't? Missing from what - my own download/save of it? How would they become missing? I'm not sure why any of these orange-highlighted items I can see would be missing anything - TTS (and this backup app) both say that the mods are "fully updated", so how would items become missing? I see that hitting "Download" apparently corrects this by downloading the missing items - what did it download that was not there before, and why wasn't it there?

I'm sure these questions sound daft, but I don't know anything about the inner workings of TTS myself.

I guess I have to add some more / better tooltips, I'm not very good with UI / naming stuff.
    Missing files means they are not in the TTS cache - where files get downloaded to if they are loaded by TTS (by loading a mod, or by pulling them out of bags). So if you have played a mod but for example have not pulled everything out of every bag it can happen that some images that are part of the mod are not downloaded to the cache. If the image then gets taken down you won't be able to get it anymore - that was the whole idea behind my tool, that you can download and backup the whole mod including all contained files so you can still play if files get removed or so you can send backups to friends that have problems downloading assets (for example people in china). I hope my explanation makes sense

Many thanks, that explains it fully.

As a suggestion for any further updates to the tool - the ability to make multiple selections from the list of Mods, Saves or Urls, before issuing a Backup, Delete or Download command. At present you can only do multiple selections by doing the whole list with the Backup All, or Download All option - it would save a lot of time on some occasions if I could highlight a dozen or so selections of my own choice, then issue the command to do them all in sequence.

Now that I think about it it seems like an obvious thing to do... I will implement that, thanks for the suggestion!
    Edit: Uploaded 1.7.2 where multiple mods can be selected to be downloaded / backuped / deleted.
    Last edited by Froghut; 11-27-2015 at 03:04 AM.

Can someone explain how this works exactly? My friend in China could play X-Wing after using the Backup-tool, but he can't play Imperial Assault, some stuff is loading, some doesn't. Especially the .obj files of some 3d objects don't work, although I sent him the whole mod. How does Tabletop Simulator check for already "downloaded" files? Why are object files different?

So theoretically the tool should download really all files, images and also .obj model files - perhaps you found a bug. Are you talking about the "Star Wars Imperial Assault" mod in the workshop?
    Also what does the mod in the list say in parenthesis? In the case of the mod from the workshop it should say (132/0), that would mean there are 132 fils in the mod and 0 are missing.
    TTS checks if files contained in the mod are already in the cache - but my tool download and saves them the exact same way TTS would. In general object files do not differ at all from image files regarding how they are saved/loaded.
    Last edited by Froghut; 12-01-2015 at 05:23 PM.

I have another suggestion for any future updates you might be planning for your tool - when you Backup multiple Mods/Saves, if there is a Mod or Save with an identical name to one previously processed it brings up a notification asking if you want to overwrite the first, because they would have the same .ttsmod file name. An option to backup the additional Mods/Saves anyway, but with slightly adjusted titles (like adding a numeral to the end, or 'Copy' to the end), would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny View Post
    I have another suggestion for any future updates you might be planning for your tool - when you Backup multiple Mods/Saves, if there is a Mod or Save with an identical name to one previously processed it brings up a notification asking if you want to overwrite the first, because they would have the same .ttsmod file name. An option to backup the additional Mods/Saves anyway, but with slightly adjusted titles (like adding a numeral to the end, or 'Copy' to the end), would be useful.
    Good Idea, I will add that to the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by Froghut View Post
    So theoretically the tool should download really all files, images and also .obj model files - perhaps you found a bug. Are you talking about the "Star Wars Imperial Assault" mod in the workshop?
    Also what does the mod in the list say in parenthesis? In the case of the mod from the workshop it should say (132/0), that would mean there are 132 fils in the mod and 0 are missing.
    TTS checks if files contained in the mod are already in the cache - but my tool download and saves them the exact same way TTS would. In general object files do not differ at all from image files regarding how they are saved/loaded.
    My friend will be in China again in 3 days, I will test it with him then. All files from one hoster were missing, maybe they were already missing when I was packaging the mod because the hoster was down, I don't know. Will tell you in a few days!

I clicked Download All but I wasn't it expecting it to take nearly this long.

Could you add in a way for it to stop without me having to open Task Manager and force it closed (possibly created a corrupt image in the process)?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I clicked Download All but I wasn't it expecting it to take nearly this long.
    Maybe if you weren't subscribing to every single thing you see, you wouldn't have such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    Maybe if you weren't subscribing to every single thing you see, you wouldn't have such an issue.
    But I want all the mods.

Hm, I will add a cancel button for the download all process =)

I have a few more suggestions!

I'd like a faster refresh method (when you have 2000 mods, refreshing takes FOREVER, and it has to do it every time I download or delete a mod).

I'd like the ability to sort mods with missing assets to the top or bottom.

When I right click on an asset, I'd like to have the option to copy the URL (because sometimes when you open remotely, the URL swiftly redirects to something else, making it difficult to report to a mod author).

And most importantly, I'd like the ability to 'blacklist' a mod from Download All until the file changes. Example: I know a mod is broken, and I've notified the author of missing assets. I'd like to be able to mark the mod as 'broken' so the program doesn't try to download assets from it when I click the Download All button. HOWEVER, if the author fixes the mod, I want the program to be able to recognize it (noticing the file has changed) and remove the broken flag.

Also, the program does get stuck on downloading certain assets that a browser won't get stuck on, here's an example: http://img2.goodfon.su/original/2048...a-tekstura.jpg

Thanks for your hard work! This tool is awesome.

Another suggestion: Can it place a special mark next to custom table and custom background assets, and sort them to the top?

Thanks for the suggestions, I like all of them and will add them to the next version
    Also I will check out the problem with asset downloading, thanks for reporting!
    Edit: 2000 Mods? thats insane ;P I don't think I can really speed up refreshing (but I will check), but I can make auto refresh an option so you can switch it off and only refresh when you click the button manually.
    Edit2: Hm, perhaps add sorting the urls by "type"? custom background, table, cards, model textures etc?

Sorting by type would be good, but I think Background and Table should be sorted at the top or the bottom.

Disabling Auto-Refresh sounds like a great compromise.

Also, sent you a PM.

I have a question:

When deleting mods, does it delete the assets as well? If so, does it know to avoid assets that other mods are using?

Yet another suggestion: Automatic detection of when a URL is too long. When this happens in TTS, it downloads the asset but it doesn't save it in the cache. It'd be nice if the program knew to not even to try to download this and maybe report it as an error in the JSON file.

Noticed a bug. I have some savegames of DLC and it lists the assets as say, <Superfight>blue_normal.png and it will try to download it as if it were a URL.

Sorry to heap another request on, but I've noticed an awful lot of these in my Images directory: http://i.imgur.com/removed.png

If you could have TTS Mod Backup throw those out when downloading assets I'd appreciate it.

Another small suggestion for any future updates you might be planning - a file-browser for setting the directory you want .exe backups to unzip to - at the moment you have to copy/paste the directory in.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to heap another request on, but I've noticed an awful lot of these in my Images directory: http://i.imgur.com/removed.png

If you could have TTS Mod Backup throw those out when downloading assets I'd appreciate it.
    Not certain I agree with that - it might make it more difficult to realise that your assets are incomplete. Realising things are missing would be an important point for many projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny View Post
    Another small suggestion for any future updates you might be planning - a file-browser for setting the directory you want .exe backups to unzip to - at the moment you have to copy/paste the directory in.

- - - Updated - - -

Not certain I agree with that - it might make it more difficult to realise that your assets are incomplete. Realising things are missing would be an important point for many projects.
    I think you're confused, I want the Backup Tool to not consider images that match http://i.imgur.com/removed.png an asset and simply refuse to download them. Right now it downloads them.

I think you're confused, I want the Backup Tool to not consider images that match http://i.imgur.com/removed.png an asset and simply refuse to download them. Right now it downloads them.
    No confusion - if images match that then it means an asset from the mod is missing from it. See such an image in the download and you can see at once from the backup directory that assets are missing, and repair them if practical by adding your own.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast