Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [OFFICIAL] TTS Deck Editor

I like the idea! Would the custom text normally be in the same or in a different position for each card?

Same position through the deck, but ideally the user of the tool could specify margins, font and color for the heading, then again specify different values for the body. It would be great for prototyping. Possibly the user could specify a footer as well, with a different font, for numbers like strength/hit-points etc. And maybe a card number at a specifiable location?

A bit like...

AWESOME CARD!

Some text blah
    blah blah

(3 stars down the bottom - better would be some Unicode stars)

And behind the text, for every card in the deck, the same background.

Actually Froghut, if you are feeling generous, what would be good is if people could make a simple text file like this:

<background.png>
    <heading-font = "Whatever">
    <heading-size = "10">
    <heading-color =
    etc..
    Then for the individual cards....

<1>
    <h>AWESOME CARD HEADING</h>
    Some text...
    <f>☆ ☆ ☆</f>

<2>
    <h>ANOTHER CARD HEADING</h>
    Some text...
    <f>☆ ☆</f>

And when I import the text file, I get a deck.

This is similar to what I already do with my own deck builder, but mine is coded within another more complex application, and I have hard-coded the fonts and colours because I was not trying to create a generic solution for others.

Building a new deck would then be a matter of editing the text file.

Cheers,

Arcuate.

I was thinking about adding kind of like a "visual editor" where you could add and position "text boxes" with a visual preview, and then add text for each card. Do you think something like this would be needed or is the approach you described the one one would normally prefer?

Can I be greedy and suggest both? I can imagine a production process where the first card is made in a visual editor, seeing the effects of font and color changes immediately, and then the user chooses an option that means: "make 50 more cards like this". Positioning text boxes would be good for the first card, but then it would be nice for the positioning to be locked in and all the other cards just to copy the first. Dummy text is put in place for the other 49 cards, and the program spits out a text file that can be edited in a simple text editor. All the text can be refined while the game designer is just thinking about the wording, without bothering about the cards themselves. Then the new deck can be created. After some playtesting, one or two cards could be edited within the visual interface. Some users would prefer the visual interface, and others would prefer the straight text approach - a bit like some people would prefer to write a webpage in raw html and others would like a graphical tool. Other users could switch between the two approaches.

But you should probably ask other potential users what they want. For my own purposes, I already have a java program that spits out decks for me, so I probably wouldn't be a major user of your tool even though I think it would be a great help for others.

While we are discussing it, the other idea I had would be for the card designer, working in GIMP or whatever graphics program they like to use, to simply save their images with a common naming convention, like "Spell1.png", "Spell2.png", etc, and a tool just combined all the images into a deck after being given the template "Spell*.png". I already do that for a couple of my decks, but working directly from the java code rather than bothering with any interface, since in my case it is a one-user tool.

It would also be possible (and maybe better) for the text file to contain the text for each card, and nothing else, with all the visual decisions about font sizes and so on kept within the visual interface. Then the user could simply click an option to "import card text" and the program updated the text on all the cards. The imported text file could then be kept very simple, just a series of:
    <number>
    <h>heading</h>
    text
    <f>footer</f>

or whatever tags you think people would find easiest.

Yeah, I think you're right, having both things makes a lot of sense.
    Do you think it would still be "usable" if both the definition as well as the text would be inside of an XML, something like this
    <texts>
    <text font="Arial" size="16" x=50 y=100 w=300 h=150>
    Card Text
    </text>
    </texts>
    Or should text and "visual definition" be seperated? I'm also thinking about putting the xml into the deck save file that already contains the location of the card images, dimension of the deck etc. just to have it all in one file instead of having multiple files per deck - but since a deck already consists of multiple images that might not really be necessary. What are other peoples thoughts on that? Have just one file or split this stuff up into multiple ones?

Regarding your idea of being able to import cards with a common naming convention, this feature is actually already implemented and can be found under File->Import Card Set.

Good to see you implemented one of my suggestions before I made it... Great service.

My personal preference for number of files would be:
    - one png file for each graphical import (initially background, but maybe icons later)
    - one deck-building recipe file in plain text for putting those graphical elements together. XML is a good idea for this as it can be viewed with syntax highlighting etc in an XML editor...
    - one file just for card text and nothing else

This approach would separate form and content.

People who find XML too taxing could do all the card arrangements in a graphical interface and then refine the card text in a very simple text file. Those who wanted to edit the XML could do that. Designers could fiddle with the layout without touching the text and playtesters could change text without worrying about the layout. Two decks could be built with different layouts but the same card text, to see which version playtesters preferred, and when the card text needed updating it would only be a single file to edit, which then appeared in both of the layouts with no extra editing.

Hi Froghut,

Just like Andrew's Deck Builder, I'm getting a virus detected from Microsoft Security Essentials. I dl'd from NexusMods per your link and version 1.5.2. Anybody else getting this?

Capture.JPG

I'm 100% sure that that's just a false positive, see the virustotal analysis that does not show a single detection.
    I'll investigate and will try to find out what exactly MSE finds so offensive.
    Edit: I reported the file as a false positive on the MSE report site, I'm not 100% sure what the result was, either it will be updated in a future definitions update or the false positive is already removed in the current definitions, so perhaps try updating the MSE definitions.
    Last edited by Froghut; 03-01-2016 at 09:26 AM.

I uploaded 1.5.4 with the new Text on Cards feature. It can be found in the 'Edit' menu. It's still a work in progress, for example undo/redo does not yet fully support cards with texts, also I'm pretty sure I have not fixed all the bugs yet, but I still wanted to release a first version with it to see if it's usable for people or if some things have to be changed.
    Text Templates and the Texts themselves are saved into two new files, 'deck_text_templates.yml' and 'deck_texts.yml'. They use the YAML format which is more human readable than XML or JSON.
    Feel free to try it out and give me feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Froghut View Post
    I'm 100% sure that that's just a false positive, see the virustotal analysis that does not show a single detection.
    I'll investigate and will try to find out what exactly MSE finds so offensive.
    Edit: I reported the file as a false positive on the MSE report site, I'm not 100% sure what the result was, either it will be updated in a future definitions update or the false positive is already removed in the current definitions, so perhaps try updating the MSE definitions.
    Thanks for the time and effort you've put into this tool, it is really appreciated! I just added it as an allowed item for now. One more thing, unless I'm missing something, I can't specify the individual card sizes (ex. 335 x 525) like in Andrew's tool. This results in cards scanned that stack from different decks being slightly different sizes due to cropping post-scan. I'm aware that the decks in TTS will resize once stacked but my OCD won't stop bugging me that the decks are slightly different sizes when I save them as objects. If I'm missing something, let me know and, if not, a feature suggestion?

Again, thanks the tool and all the best.

I will add that to my todo list, should make it into the next version

There appears to be a minor bug in how it writes the save file, it's adding additional \'s to the file path every time I save. Doesn't cause any harm other than and extremely slight file size increase each time.

Also, maybe I'm missing it somewhere, but is there a way to adjust the card width / height? Currently it just gets whatever the dimensions are of the first card you import, after that I'm opening the save file to edit it manually if I want different dimensions.(which is how I noticed the above mentioned bug)

Keep up the great work!

EDIT: Never mind on the width/height, just noticed someone already posted that!

I just uploaded 1.5.5 with the fix for the multiple '\' in save files, more fixes for texts related undo's and the ability to manually set card size.

• Pressing the "Background Colour" button results in an error.
    • Importing a group of cards comes up with a message saying that I have to "replace the first image" as apparently there's already an image there. It skips the first image and puts the images in one by one starting from the second image in the first slot.
    • Pressing undo after importing cards results in an error.

Fix these issues please, thank you for the continuing improvements Froghut!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-24-2016 at 09:15 PM.

I'll try to get a fix online as soon as possible, thanks for reporting the bugs!

When I Export with upload on dropbox file (Also upload back image, enable Max Deck size: 4096), execute exception:
    ************** Текст исключения **************
    Dropbox.Api.ApiException`1[Dropbox.Api.Sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsEr ror]: shared_link_already_exists/..
    в Dropbox.Api.DropboxRequestHandler.<Dropbox.Api.Bab el.ITransport.SendRpcRequestAsync>d__0`3.MoveNext( )
    --- Конец трассировка стека из предыдущего расположения, где возникло исключение ---
    в System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowF orNonSuccess(Task task)
    в System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.Handle NonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    в TTS_Util.Hoster.UploadManager.<UploadToDropbox>d__ 1.MoveNext()
    --- Конец трассировка стека из предыдущего расположения, где возникло исключение ---
    в System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.Handle NonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    в TTSDeckCreator.frmDeckCreator.<UploadGetLink>d__60 .MoveNext()
    в TTSDeckCreator.frmDeckCreator.<exportToolStripMenu Item_Click>d__59.MoveNext()
    в System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilder Core.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Загруженные сборки **************
    mscorlib
    Версия сборки: 4.0.0.0
    Версия Win32: 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    TTS-Deck-Editor
    Версия сборки: 1.5.6.0
    Версия Win32: 1.5.6
    CodeBase: file:///S:/Work_Archive/CardGame/TTS%20Deck%20Editor/TTS-Deck-Editor.exe
    ----------------------------------------

No Back image upload, but itself image upload.

Thanks for reporting, I will have a look at this.

There seems to be a weird bug happening when importing cards by dragging images into the screen.

Select 3 x 2 Deck Size, drag six images into the slots, watch as some images appear on one tab and some other images appear on the next. s:

well, right now when you drag&drop multiple cards in there the last card (the back) will not get filled - the idea was that people would normally drag the card images in and put the back card in separately. I guess I can change it so also the back card slot gets filled, this might be more like the expected behavior now that I think about it.

I was experimenting with the text options of your deck editor today, and I hit a roadblock - not sure if it would bother anyone else, but there's no possibility for simple formatting of part of a sentence, like if I wanted to italicize or bold a few important words in the text. So, like for example, I couldn't make a sentence like this:

"What do you think Smokey the Bear does when he's not fighting forest fires?",
    or
    "Discard Items worth a total of 500 Gold. If you can't do that, then discard your whole hand instead."

But with the current system, each sentence would have to be it's own template with separate sections denoting each section of words with a single format of the text, and I'd have to attempt to line up each section so that it matched that sentence and still looked halfway decent, and currently that would be a pain in the butt.

Yeah I know it's not the best system, but for partially formatted sentences I could no longer use the "easy" way to write the text to the image I'm using currently.
    I will have a look and see how much work it would be to add that feature, but it might be too much work for the near future.

Hey Froghut! Good to see you back

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast