Thread: HELP! Trying to setup an RPG dungeon and having snapping issues

HELP! Trying to setup an RPG dungeon and having snapping issues

The tiles that come with the game's RPG set snap together really well. I've downloaded a few tiles from the workshop that look better for the dungeon I'm creating. I can't figure out how to make the tiles I downloaded snap together like the default tiles do. I've messed with the various snap settings but they don't line for some reason. When I drop the tile next to another of the same tile, it snaps too high or too low or too far apart. If I turn off snapping, I can line them up manually but it's very tedious and time consuming. Any suggestions?

Hey Paierwon, welcome to the community.

It will most likely be something of nothing causing you grief and I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

A Couple of questions to help narrow down this issue your having.

1, when you say snap. do you mean grid snapping or snap points.

2, When you turned snapping off was that in the objects custom menu or the global settings.

3, Are these new tiles exactly the same size as the old tiles

4, Is the Global grid set to centre, lines or both

5, Does the grid size match your object size.

6, does anything have custom colliders.

if you can point us towards the objects your having trouble with we can take a look at them for you and give a better answer ..

My responses under each question. Thank you for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Hey Paierwon, welcome to the community.

It will most likely be something of nothing causing you grief and I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

A Couple of questions to help narrow down this issue your having.

1, when you say snap. do you mean grid snapping or snap points.
    I'm using grid snapping. Not sure how to make snap points work.

2, When you turned snapping off was that in the objects custom menu or the global settings.
    When I spawn in the tile I want to use, I right click on it and the same toggles are on as the default RPG tiles. Grid, Snap, Auto Raise, Sticky are checked.

3, Are these new tiles exactly the same size as the old tiles.
    No. They seem to be different...even if I scale them up or down, they don't match the default RPG tiles. Is it possible to adjust the tiles to a specific size other than just the +/- button?

4, Is the Global grid set to centre, lines or both?
    I've tried each and it doesn't seem to help.

5, Does the grid size match your object size.
    How can I determine this?

6, does anything have custom colliders.
    I don't know what that means. Sorry.

if you can point us towards the objects your having trouble with we can take a look at them for you and give a better answer ..

O.K looks like it could be a couple of things though I'd need a link to these tiles to be 100%

if the tiles are bigger than the Grid size you have set, then the collider that acts as the physical body of the mesh wont have the space to sit next to another tile as the grid will define the fixed location of each tiles centre. When this happens the tile could jump to the nearest free spot or over/under lap the tile next to it.

In the global grid settings make the grid visible and increase the grid size with the slider till it matches(best a hair larger) the size of one of these problem tiles and then try and place them side by side.

if you want the tiles exactly the same size as the RPG ones, we would need to resize the OBJ file outside of the T.T.S This on its own would most likely fix your issue and I can help you with that if you'd like.

Custom colliders are a way of changing the underlying shape of an object without affecting its visual appearance think of the diffuse image as a hologram and the collider as a force field the hologram is covering. Custom colliders allow these two things to be completely different shapes. but can give odd visual results when you place them next to each other.

This is all a best guess with the info to hand. A link to the problem tiles would be needed to be sure.

I was able to make this work playing around with the grid size. Once you have the grid size set to the size of the object you're using it works fine. I was over-complicating the thing. Thank you; your responses led me to the resolution I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    O.K looks like it could be a couple of things though I'd need a link to these tiles to be 100%

if the tiles are bigger than the Grid size you have set, then the collider that acts as the physical body of the mesh wont have the space to sit next to another tile as the grid will define the fixed location of each tiles centre. When this happens the tile could jump to the nearest free spot or over/under lap the tile next to it.

In the global grid settings make the grid visible and increase the grid size with the slider till it matches(best a hair larger) the size of one of these problem tiles and then try and place them side by side.

if you want the tiles exactly the same size as the RPG ones, we would need to resize the OBJ file outside of the T.T.S This on its own would most likely fix your issue and I can help you with that if you'd like.

Custom colliders are a way of changing the underlying shape of an object without affecting its visual appearance think of the diffuse image as a hologram and the collider as a force field the hologram is covering. Custom colliders allow these two things to be completely different shapes. but can give odd visual results when you place them next to each other.

This is all a best guess with the info to hand. A link to the problem tiles would be needed to be sure.

Glad to help Plaierwon

If anything else gives you issues I'm always happy to help out