Thread: Some minor suggestions to make TTS better

Some minor suggestions to make TTS better

As Kimiko suggested, I am reposting this from Steam. Thank you for making one of my favorite things, by the way.

Just a few smallish changes that I think would be improvement, for your consideration:

1. Tokens with two different images/double sides.

2. The ability to use paint/vector/text tool on objects, particularly boards, tiles and tokens.

3. A "remove all physics" command, allowing for the complete placement and locking of objects without having to worry about jointing bouncing models and other problems. I know the Point tool is supposed to help modders along these lines, but I think this would be very useful as well.

4. Text tool Fonts?

5. Some kind of anti-mess security option. Like if a player creates lots of commotion on the board, they would be autokicked from a game. Most games don't require a whole lot of component movement, but public games are full of griefers and trolls. To address this, we have to quickly make the games private, except that this has an impact on teaching games and it makes the community less open and inviting, and it means extra work if we lose players from a game crash since throwing all the pieces of a game around can cause people to drop connections. If there was an option that let me automatically kick people who move too much stuff around, that would be great.

6. Some more mods in global chat to keep the racists/neonazi/phishers/horrible people out. I have very thick skin but there's a lot of kids on and stuff, and it sometimes derails actual conversations about TTS and games. I'm sure you guys already have plans to deal with this, I just thought I'd put it out there.

1. The "Custom Tiles" has the ability to use 2 different images on each side.

2. If you lock down an object, such as a board/tile/token, you can use the vector tool to draw on it. the Pixel draw tool still only draws on the table surface.

3. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but an option that has been there for a while called "Semi-Lock" is able to get rid of physics in terms of collisions. So if you have Semi-Lock enabled, and you have several things out on the table(say a bunch of chess pieces), if you grab one and try to knock the others over with it, you will not be able to. Semi-Lock is located in the top menu bar under Host -> Options, and it's right at the top.

4. Good idea. +1.

5. If you right-click on a player's name in the player list, there are options to kick or ban a player. So if he/she is causing trouble you can do that.

6. Totally agree. I've seen some of the idiots in there that you speak of. They totally ruin the atmosphere. And yes, there's always the chance of a child seeing that stuff, and it's not good.
    Last edited by TheRaven81; 01-04-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    2. If you lock down an object, such as a board/tile/token, you can use the vector tool to draw on it. the Pixel draw tool still only draws on the table surface.
    Regarding that part - there is still one problem it can't solve. For example, I have a game and I don't like its scale. I would like to have larger playing field, for example. Its mechanics allows to achieve that by simply copy-pasting its set of tiles 2-3 times. But now you have a problem. You have 2-3 duplicated tiles on your board what sometimes may force you to resolve ambiguity, like rolling the dice. But how will you decide to which of same 2-3 tiles to apply the result, in what order to count them? So you need to mark them somehow. You could first assemble your field, lock it then mark them, but you will need to do it every time again, no way, no one will do that. So you need somehow permanently mark it and make it a part of your mod. Otherwise you will have to launch your photoshop and create another 1-2 sets of tiles with correct markings, then import it to the TS the usual way (I'm at it currently). I know there is ability to apply custom colour to tiles, but it doesn't work well for them, you just can't see it most of the time. It would be great if there was ability to apply some very distinct mark to any objects, something like a sticker of variable size, which would permanently be attached to it, or mb even would blend into its texture.

In the scenario you've described I'd personally be either using a set of stickers made from a thin mesh and collider and using the Joint tool to add it to the tokens you want to highlight (which is pretty straight forward) or incorporate a separate material into the tokens face mesh so when you colour tint your tiles/tokens only this material ( in what ever shape takes your fancy) is coloured and the rest of the face is left untouched leaving a nice distinct mark.

which method to use just depends on where you want to spend your time ..

I'm not sure I'm following. Do you suggest to create my custom 3d-model for tiles? I don't think I'll be able to accomplish that

Ah.. yes I was sorry

If your limited to using just what's available in the Simulator and other existing Mods then I do see your problem.

Being able to mark an object and have it remain in place on the token/tile even after you move it would certainly ease you gaming.

Do you suggest to create my custom 3d-model for tiles? I don't think I'll be able to accomplish that
    Don't sell you self short either, simple modelling for tokens and the like is defiantly do-able even for a complete novice.

whilst it might be a little out of your comfort zone at the moment there's many on the forum who started with Zero experience and went on to produce some pretty impressive mods.

if you ever fancy giving it ago there are plenty of people around the forum happy to talk you through it.. myself included.

<---Snip--->
    You have 2-3 duplicated tiles on your board what sometimes may force you to resolve ambiguity,
    <---Snip--->

Would right-clicking and giving them different names in the Name field be enough?
    That way when you point at them with the mouse you'll see which is which...

If you need help with 3d modelling, I can help you if we are talking about something simple.
    Lucky Seven is absolutely right that modelling is very do-able by anybody.
    I'm one of those who went to 0 talent to talent enough to create simple stuff to TTS.
    It's easy to do basic stuff once you get the hang of it.
    ( Totally unnecessary Brag-link: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2809...?size=original)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    1. The "Custom Tiles" has the ability to use 2 different images on each side.
    Here's the problem I am having: If I use Custom Tiles to get front and back images on a tile/token, the built-in tile collider(s) don't allow for the tiles to be near each other (except for stacking). Any close proximity skews the tiles and they won't abut. However, if I create Custom Tokens there is no problem getting the tokens to touch. But alas, I don't get 2 different images. So I too would like tokens to have unique front and back images :-) unless there is some way to fix the tile colliders. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks!
    Cheers!
    F>

Hey Francois.V welcome to the Community

Is this issue specific to the round and hex tiles or are you having issues with the square one as well, as I don't think that ones box collider should be giving you issues.

As to your problem if you give me a Shape, grid size and thickness to work to I'll dig you out a OBJ and a corresponding UV map template .PNG for the tokens you need that will fix your current predicament, till something better comes along that is

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it in the future, but for now I can make do.

I've attached a picture of the issue. The problem seems to be with the "Stacking" feature. The hexes in the foreground do not have stacking enable but the problematic ones do. Also, the squares and circle tiles have stacking enabled but don't have the proximity problem. Therefore, the hex shape has a proximity issue when stacking is enabled.

2016-01-23_130424.jpg
    Cheers!
    F>