Thread: Infinite Bag Stacking

Infinite Bag Stacking

Much fun was had when I put an infinite bag inside an infinite bag.

Anyways, while putting an empty infinite bag inside another infinite bag is completely harmless itself, the "fun" begins when that first infinite bag isn't empty. What happens is the object (Let's say, a die) inside the first bag becomes smaller, which is to be expected, but is raised far above the first bag, instead of sitting neatly inside the first bag like it is doing inside the second bag. More fun is had when this infinite bag squared becomes an infinite bag cubed. Now it likes to wobble a lot. And once it becomes an infinite bag tesseracted (to the 4th), all hell breaks loose, and it starts flailing around. I haven't gone any farther than that, but I'm sure I can make it go farther.

Quite obviously, this shouldn't happen with this, at least not before tesseracted stage (You could always leave that in as an easter egg). And believe it or not, this can be a problem, particularly if you want a Bag of Infinite Bags of Infinite Dice.

I can't provide video or screenshots, but it's quite easy to replicate.

I got some annotated images of the bug now. Surprisingly, I was able to head to the sixth iteration instead of the fifth. I wonder if I can get to the seventh iteration.

Anyways, this is the first set of images. Got 17 of them, so will need to make 4 posts.

Set 4 of 4

Bump?

Hey, ShylockVakarian Whilst this is clearly a thing.. is it in any way affecting gameplay ? That's to say in what scenario is the infinite bag being put into an infinite bag being put into an infinite Bag..etc.....etc.....etc anything other than a way to push the limits of the program ?

Is there a situation your dealing with that this is causing you a problem ?

Just to help highlight why this needs rectifying sooner rather than later.

The main problem is aesthetics in the unlikely, but very much possible, situation that you need a Bag of Infinite Bags of Infinite Something (e.g. dice, tokens, etc.)

It's fine if it's just a low-priority thing, I just wanted to make this bug known.

EDIT: As a suggestion, when this does eventually get sorted out with the height-above-the-previous-bag thing, you should have a more solid weld to the bag, if possible. I'm presuming this runs off of Source, and thus may be difficult, but I believe this is already being done with things like decks of cards and stacks of chips, so perhaps using something similar would prevent bags from freaking out past a certain iteration. Then again, those seem to be entirely new objects, so that may not be feasible, unless you find a way to get the program to create models on the fly. Again, this is most likely a low-priority thing, and I won't be mad or sad at all if you don't even try, it's just a mere suggestion. That said, you might be able to make it shake around less violently by including several welds in different locations. A triangular weld facing perpendicular from the plane of the table will help keep the object inside from moving too much laterally, and a triangle of welds parallel to the plane of the table may help keep items from moving vertically as much. Keep in mind, these would have to be practically about one hammer unit each away from each other in order to accommodate small items, and these welds would have to be generated on the fly, ideally using rays to determine where to put the endpoint for each weld (And ideally, the rays would stop searching after a certain point to prevent accidental welds to other things).

And as a request, could we please have an achievement called Infinite Bag˛ (Or Infinite Bag Squared, if a superscript 2 isn't allowed in Steam), with the description being "Much fun was had when I put an infinite bag inside an infinite bag"? Pretty please? The game's practically begging for it, what with the other achievements being just as silly.

EDIT2: And you spelled my username wrong. No C. :P
    Last edited by ShylokVakarian; 01-22-2016 at 08:52 AM.

EDIT2: And you spelled my username wrong. No C. :P
    Garrh...Sorry about that... in my defense you have picked a forum name that resembles a bad hand of scrabble..
    and I'm a terrible speller to start with.

And as a request, could we please have an achievement called Infinite Bag˛ (Or Infinite Bag Squared, if a superscript 2 isn't allowed in Steam), with the description being "Much fun was had when I put an infinite bag inside an infinite bag"? Pretty please? The game's practically begging for it, what with the other achievements being just as silly.
    You know I think that's a cracking idea it would certainly get my vote I just love the daft achievements some games seem to revel in.

Like The Stanley Parable, with Commitment (Play the game for the entire duration of a Tuesday), Unachieveable (Which was literally made impossible to achieve after someone managed to find a way), 8888888888888888 (888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888) , and Achievement (Where you literally turn on achievements in the options menu)