Thread: Books!

Lightbulb Custom Game Manual

Many of the mods I have played use either notecards or the notebook to explain game rules. It occurred to me that including a "game manual" as a custom object might fit the ticket for that extra bit of authenticity. This is of course a low priority, there are other far more important suggestions, additions and fixes to address. However, I love the idea of flopping around a manual while explaining the rules to my fellow players. I look forward to having many Wacky Waving Flappable Page Flailing Game Manuals in my TTS future.

Any additional related comments or suggestions are welcome.

I already asked for this. Just import a .pdf as a kind of "flickable" book, as the iOS versions of Kindle etc. or that old, first book on the first iPhone called Bamboo something where you saw the virtual page being turned over when you flicked the page with your finger (here mouse).

My +1 again

Lightbulb Books!

Title says most of it really. Adding books with flippable pages would be very useful, mainly for rules. I would take one pdf format with all pages and merge pdf pages two by two to make double sided pages. It would be very useful add a tool to input a page number. I got the idea when I say "the big book of madness" on steam and thought it was a shame that the main element of the game was rather a series of tablets than a book. It would be very useful for rpg's.

+9001 up this. Bar none excellent idea as far as I'm concerned. Best way would be to have you upload/link to a .PDF, .SVG or .DOCX file.

This would be great! All they'd have to do is use the existing code we use for making card decks and put those images on to a flippable book. Then we could use the number keys to switch to specific pages when hovering and pressing, so pressing the 2 key on the book would send me to page 2.

And the possibilty to create games like this one :

Lost Worlds

or this one (more complex, aroun 300 pages...)

Ace of Aces

This would be a a really neat addition. Would add some variety other than note cards, and would open up the game possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by McCheesyThePuff View Post
    This would be a a really neat addition. Would add some variety other than note cards, and would open up the game possibilities.
    It would also eliminate the need to go online just to lookup a rule, let alone from multiple sources.

This but only if you can add bookmarks

You can use the new States feature to create a book, flippable pages, etc. We use it for our rules in the Battle For Souls DLC.

That would definitely work for me. Maybe we can have a couple of hotkeys to switch states up and down instead of right clicking and hitting a number? It might make rulebooks easier to flip through.

Quote Originally Posted by jmricker View Post
    That would definitely work for me. Maybe we can have a couple of hotkeys to switch states up and down instead of right clicking and hitting a number? It might make rulebooks easier to flip through.
    There are already hotkeys, they work the same as the dice do. You hover over a die, type a number in, and it flips to that face. Same goes for the stated objects. Hover over the object with states, type a number in, and it will switch to that state.

Maybe we can have a couple of hotkeys to switch states up and down instead of right clicking and hitting a number?

You can change states without right clicking to gain access to the object menu first.

just hitting a number whilst your mouse is over the State "Group" works equally well. But I agree whole heartedly that adding a pair of Hotkeys to cycle up and down the numbers would be of real benefit to this feature For two reasons.

1, It gets a little cumbersome to move between states when you have over 9 objects grouped together.

2,cyclicing hotkeys would allow you to turn pages whilst your in ALT Zoom mode, something you can't do right now as ALT and a 0-9 are currently used for saved camera positions.

I like this idea a lot.

+1 from me

EDIT: Ninja'd by the Raven
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 02-16-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Ninj'd :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    You can use the new States feature to create a book, flippable pages, etc. We use it for our rules in the Battle For Souls DLC.
    I've seen this in a couple mods, and it's neat, but there are a couple of problems with it. First of all, it only works for up to 10 pages, and most manuals I've seen number in the teens. The second thing I don't like about it is that you can't have a straight-on view of it no matter where you are on the table (kind of like you can with a PDF on the pop-out browser from the tablet).

First of all, it only works for up to 10 pages,
    You can actually have a lot more pages than that, just type in the number above 9 and it will jump to that state.
    I've made books with page numbers well into the teens without any problems,

I've got it in my head you can go up to 64 but can't remember where I heard that so citation is needed I think

can't have a straight-on view of it no matter where you are on the table
    As long as the object your looking at has its origin point the middle and near its surface the ALT Zoom function will give you a head on view of the state your looking at, though that's not to say there isn't room for improvement

Fair enough Seven, didn't know you could go higher than that. I was misinformed.

However, my other argument still stands: You still have to see the object to Alt zoom it. I would rather have it up on screen so I can look at it and interact with the game at the same time without having to jump back and forth. The pop-out from the tablet with a website or a PDF works for this, but I've yet to find a way to resize it and it takes up way too much of the screen to use that way.

Sorry Seven, not trying to be a pain, I'm just hard to please sometimes. I know we can't all always get all the features we'd like in a game.

No problem Quaxo

Your quite right what we have now certainly can be improved. Persistent rules on screen would be very, very useful so you'll hear no complaints from me if it gets added at some point in the future.

Personally I'd like to be able to lock a camera Save on to an object (Locked so if you move the object the camera move with it) and then have the ability to open a second scalable windowed view that I can bring up other camera views on..... that way I could have more than one book on the go and switch between them just by changing the camera view in the second window....

While we may have another option for books later in the future, for now the States feature is a great way to create books as long as you have some kind of template to work with. You can read about States in our Knowledge Base: http://berserk-games.com/knowledgebase/creating-states

Lightbulb Booklet

Greetings! Before must to sorry for my english, it’s not perfect but I hope you’ll understand core of idea.

Idea is just about one little thing called booklet that can be used mainly for rulebooks and other things. Booklet can be created in custom models menu. For importing can be used pdf files where first and last pages will be used as booklet cover, other pages of pdf is pages inside the booklet. If any player press “F” key on first cover page or pages on right side then booklet flip on next pages, if player press on last cover page or on open pages on left side then pages turn back. Booklet flip on any combo (like shift + F) pr long press F.

Yeah, rules can be read on tablet but it’s not so comfortable, webpage can be lost e.t.c And booklet will add more tabletop atmosphere.

Thanks in advance.

Drawing directly from a PDF might be a bit tricky what with them often being a mix of Vector and Raster.

But a semi automated way of making a book like Object would certainly be a nice addition

For the moment you can pretty much achieve the effect you've described using "States" but it does take a bit more effort.

A vid of states in action.

And some links to previous threads about this idea of an in game book builder.

http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...highlight=book

It would be nice to have a "book" object which you could feed multiple images to. Each images would correspond to a single page of the rulebook and the book would display 2 of them at a time. You could set it to make the first image in the list the "cover" of the book. It would essentially BE an object with different states (wouldn't need animations when switching pages for example) but be part of a nice model.

Should be decently easy to implement since it could be similar to state objects. Plus some new UI work, but i hear that now's a good time for that stuff

3D Models and textures

Hello,

Where can I read up on details for how the pages are setup to flip/change in this youtube video?

In particular, is there just one model for book or is it a book model with a page model sitting on top of book? And*how are the book textures handled? is this a standard 3d model texture mapping with all the parts of book and the pages combined into one map or is there one set of UVs for the book details and one set of UVs for the pages?

Thanks in advanced,
    -David
    There is no terrible way to win. There is only winning.
    —Jean-Pierre Sarti (Grand Prix - 1966)