Thread: 3D animations

3D animations

Is there a program (open source hopefully) that is some what user friendly that I could try and make some 3d characters for a Heroclix project I'd like to try?

Thanks

Hey acctingman,

I'd strongly suggest going with BLENDER

Its a completely free and very powerful piece of software, the latest stable version of which can be found here.

https://www.blender.org/

Youtube is packed with instructional Blender video's to get you started and it contains all the tools your going to need to make assets for TTS.

The learning curve is a little step to begin with. but as others on the forum can no doubt attest too, its well worth putting in the effort

Hope that's of some help

What I'd like to do is create a D&D like tabletop environment for Heroclix, but with ZERO modeling experience I'm wondering if it's even possible.

Oh well, I can try I guess

Thanks Lucky

It may sound terribly clichéd but we all started with Zero modelling experience

Once you've got a handle on basic controls start by playing around with some of the assets other people have made as part of their games, working and altering existing items will be an easier start than working with a completely blank canvas... at least until you feel more comfortable with what you doing.

What your aiming for is well within a novices reach and any time you find yourself a bit stuck, just post your modelling questions on the forum and Someone will talk you through it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's more of an issue of time. Married with 3 kids, so I don't know if I have the time or patience for it

I could, however, use 2d paper stands for my figures, I guess? I've some mods in Steam where people have used the 2d images for D&D figures.

Do one of the front page tutorials go over how to import images like that into TTS?

I'm not even sure how to get 2d images to put into TTS

Thanks again Lucky

If you want to start off with standups then yes the Video Tutorials Kimiko narrates will take you through the basics of putting images onto the blank custom figurine thats part of the custom object menu, whilst they don't cover any of the host of new features TTS has accumulated recently they do make a good gateway for a complete beginner and I'd recommend anyone looking to get started giving them a go.

Then that's were I'll start!

If I get stuck on something or want to see if I can make something happen, I'll post here.

Thank you again!

I Must say you are doing really a great job and taking too much effort in developing game. The open source program for making 3d characters for a Heroclix project are available on blenders. I had discussed your problem with one of my friend who is game developer. He suggested to go for blender or you can try-out Instant-gaming for the demo of how to make 3D characters for Heroclix project. Full information is available on the site just by inspecting the element.

Quote Originally Posted by scottcrowan View Post
    I Must say you are doing really a great job and taking too much effort in developing game. The open source program for making 3d characters for a Heroclix project are available on blenders. I had discussed your problem with one of my friend who is game developer. He suggested to go for blender or you can try-out Instant-gaming for the demo of how to make 3D characters for Heroclix project. Full information is available on the site just by inspecting the element.
    Do you have a direct link to this demo?

Thanks

I have been through the site of Instant gaming and after inspecting element I got many things which is very useful for Animating 3D characters.

Thanks for the information.

Blender, Hexagon (from DAZ) and Anim8or are some free options (although I head Hexagon may not longer be free if you did not "buy" it when it was available for free).

In my opinion, Blender is the most common free source but I also find it the hardest to work with...in my opinion it is not user friendly. I think that Blender can be the fastest to use one you learn it because all functions are available through keyboard hot keys.
    In my opinion, Hexagon is fairly easy to use.
    In my opinion, Anim8or is ancient from 95 and updated in 97. It is not too difficult to learn/use if you read the fairly short manual but the GUI is more dated than other, more modern, software. Although the interface is old and it has less bells & whistles it still has a lot crammed into a program that is one Windows EXE file which is under 6MB (including manual). That is not a typo 6MB! No installer just the one EXE and, as far as I can tell, no dependencies such as .NET Framework (except what is normally in Windows).

Out of all the free packages available, I still prefer to use Anim8or for my 3D construction needs (such as my Reallusion Marketplace Store for 3D Content).

If you are looking for some generic figures (i.e. ones that don't need an exact look) and you are not planning on selling your game commercially then your other option may be to skip the modelling process altogether and just find some existing sites that have the type of figures that you are looking for. There are many websites (such as ShareCG) which only require free signup in order to download lots of content. Some of the content has further usage limitations but almost all of the allow "for personal use".