Thread: Tabletop Miniature Discussion

Tabletop Miniature Discussion

Okay, so I for one am really excited about the potential for TTS to be used for tabletop miniature games. So I wanted to throw this out and ask opinions on the sort of features that would make it work really well.

Here's some ideas I'm thinking:
    Ruler - Self-explanatory, one click is an anchored starting point and you can stretch it out as far as you want.

Custom colours on the models - this one is a bit of a long shot but it would perhaps involve a model with multiple textures attached to different parts and those textures could have their main colour individually tweaked to make them personalized.

Option to make a model static (non-physics/rigidbody) - particularly I'm thinking for scenery.

Throw out more ideas!

The ability to group multiple models would make moving them a whole bunch easier, or just a 'tray' model to sit the models on then move the bunch.

Line of sight has always been an issue in these kinds of games, perhaps a 'laser pointer' kind of tool?

maybe an adjustable point of view? If that's not already a thing.

Tray and LoS are good ideas. I don't know about adjustable POV right this second but I see no reason why it couldn't be a thing.

A laser pointer-type tool that lets you display a straight line between two points without physically affecting models would probably do the trick for determining line of sight.
    The most important thing would be accurate and easy to use measurement tools, for sure.

that's pretty good and yeah, i agree on the measurements

I think they ability to just draw squares and different shapes on the map would be helpful that way if you just need a quick box for a simple room you can make it quickly.

We'll definitely have a measuring tool for you guys!

I'm looking to get the bigger table made soon what kind do you guys recommend? It will need to seat 8 people, if you have any cool design feel free to post them in the topic.

On a side note about tables: do you think you'll implement free movement or do you want to stick to 'im at a virtual table and this is where i sit'?

I'm not sure you mean by that you can freely rotate the camera around in any direction with WASD or Right Mouse Button. Or do you mean you want to change where on the table you are sitting?

You could possible have a DnD style table where players would be locked to one side and the DM locked to the other. That would you could have the DM screen where the DM can hide things like figures and dice rolls.

Probably the best way to do that is to make it so that anything in the DM's table area / behind the screen is invisible to the players outright, similar to the existing hand concealing mechanic. Locking the camera could get really annoying.

Knil: sort of. Either moving around the table or being able to move anywhere over the table.

Concerning table size, if you had four people playing say, the miniatures war game Warhammer 40K. The table would be about 48 inches and maybe 96 wide, for a decent sized game anyway. The average infantry miniatures for the afore mentioned game are about 1.5 inches tall.

So, maybe double that for eight people? It's been a while since I've played tabletop

And more tools:
    -A way to store your force organisation (and load it into a game somehow, maybe a drag and drop system?)
    -A scenery bank, maybe use a drag and drop system to place
    -A way to designate a units statistics, eg. how many more hits it can take, other stats, armaments ect...

Beside a ruler, other 3d objects that would be nice to include are 'area of effect templates' These would normally be circular blast radius templates, triangular firing arc, or flame thrower templates. The key thing (like the ruler) is that you want to turn off the physics with the templates so they don't scatter the minis all over the table.