Thread: Regarding Special Combat Card

Regarding Special Combat Card

Hi Everyone.

So, I just had my first game of Scythe. First I want to say that this is the most remarkable DLC yet. The customized room with game's artwork, the rulebook on the table for reference, the quick guides in multiple languages, the multi format objects for the player mats... they are all great ideas and they are all working perfectly. It trully shows how far Tabletop Simulator has come since the humble beginning, and we can only imagine how much far can it go with scripting and future updates, not to mention more experience from developpers.

All that being said, here is my question: I've noticed that every faction has a "Special Combat Card" in their power dial. It says that it can only be used on the power dial and it is not discarded. So far, so good. My problem is that there is no mention at all about this card on the rulebook, so I got a little confused. I got more confused when the Crimean faction unlocked one of his mech's skills that allowed them to steal a combat card before combat begins. Can this special card be stolen?

At first we ruled in our table that it couldn't be stolen, since the actual owner of that card should always have it available to bluff when going into combat. However, we didn't find anything anywhere that could corroborate with this idea, and the Crimean skill says "Steal one random combat card from the enemy". If it is random, maybe we shouldn't be able to ignore the special card and it could be stolen.

Can anyone help me on this? Where did this card came from? And do someone know the answer to my question regarding the Crimean's Mech Skill?

Thank you very much in advance, best regards to you all.

Hi Jonnymaxx,

I can answer this. the Special Combat card is there to smooth over one of the Game Mechanics that would otherwise be a little cumbersome to implement in TTS,

According to the rules the Total Number of Combat cards in a players hand is public knowledge for the majority of the game except when combat is occurring.

At this point a card can be Secretly added to the power dial if the player so wishes to boost the combat total. As this would mean a player would have needed to move his whole hand to a hidden zone that covers the power dial to hide whether or not a card was being added a Zero rated card was implemented to achieve the same game rule.

As this Zero rated card always stay with your hand (except when being added to the power dial) your opponents will not be able to tell whether you have added anything to the power dial..... as you will always be adding something to the power dial (which I think you suspected)

As its common knowledge that every one has this card all players still know how many cards a players hand truly holds during the the game.

and as such it should Not be swipe-able by an opposing player

Thanks for the answer! This is exactly the argument I was using to say that the card could not be stolen and why I said it was not in the gaming rules. I did understand that the card was there to allow for a certain secrecy while playing the combat cards.

Thanks! I'll use this answer in my future games.