Thread: Bugs and Suggestions for Improvement

Bugs and Suggestions for Improvement

Just finished our first game of Scythe over TTS. Really enjoyed it, but there were some bugs and annoyances.

Bugs:
    • The engineering playmat has an issue with at least one of the upgrade boxes pulling blocks from adjacent upgrade boxes when dropping the blocks (it was the second or third section, I can't remember now). We only noticed this on the engineering card.
    • Cards go through the playmat and table with the default hand boxes. They have to be remade when the game is loaded so they are above the mat and table.
    • Viewing the book version of the rule book with the Alt key for about 10 seconds causes the game to crash. I crashed 3 times because of this. Twice, it was while I was viewing the book. The other time, another player was viewing the book with the Alt key, but I crashed.

Suggestions:
    • Attach the combat dial to the card below it and have the card below it unlocked so it can be lifted out and shown to all players, not just the one you're fighting. Having to change colors for another person to view it and change it back is a bit of an annoyance. Led to a few accidental deletions of hidden zones as well.
    • There are two hand zones in front of each player. There doesn't seem to be a reason for this and one could be removed.
    • Hidden zones need to be moved slightly away from the board. Twice our encounter cards vanished briefly into the purple player's hidden zone.
    Last edited by Quaxo; 03-03-2016 at 06:58 AM.

The Hand bug is weird because even if you redo the hands and save it and reload it, then the cards will be again in the playermat.

Okay i hear a lot of people discribing what you are with the combat dial. But i just remove the hidden area. That is the quickest way and i think the way that was intended. Afterwards you just create a new one.
    The 2nd hand is just to place your name and picture i believe.

I know there's that little section on the playmat where the cards are supposed to go, but we found it works better just putting a single zone in front of the player off the playmat works best. The cards still (on a rare occasion) go through the table as well, but not nearly as much as the mat. It seems like the hands are trying to place cards at the actual glass table level and not the wood "table" level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gikerl View Post
    Okay i hear a lot of people discribing what you are with the combat dial. But i just remove the hidden area. That is the quickest way and i think the way that was intended. Afterwards you just create a new one.
    The 2nd hand is just to place your name and picture i believe.
    I suppose redrawing it is an alternative, but I still think it would be easier to just be able to lift it out and show, then put it back. The card below is large enough for the wheel and the combat card. As for how it was intended, the instructions that pop up when you're over that lower locked card actually say to press F4 (zones tools), then T, then select the player's color that your fighting.

Good Feed Back Quaxo,

•The engineering playmat has an issue with at least one of the upgrade boxes pulling blocks from adjacent upgrade boxes when dropping the blocks (it was the second or third section, I can't remember now). We only noticed this on the engineering card.
    looks like a couple of Misplaced rotational snap points. is the issue here...

•Cards go through the playmat and table with the default hand boxes. They have to be remade when the game is loaded so they are above the mat and table.
    This is an annoying one. for some reason the Hands don't load up correctly on Initial Load up. To fix it quickly once its loaded go to HOST>GAMES and load the DLC a second time. and the hands will load up correctly. Frankly I'm baffled as to why it loads perfectly the second time but not the first but its something that's being looked at.
    The issue seems to be connected to the Hands being higher than the surface of the glass table that's underneath. So lowering everything by around 1.5 TTS units will avoid the issue. but not get to the bottom of why its happening.

•Viewing the book version of the rule book with the Alt key for about 10 seconds causes the game to crash. I crashed 3 times because of this. Twice, it was while I was viewing the book. The other time, another player was viewing the book with the Alt key, but I crashed.

This sounds a real nuisance. I tried to replicate this but couldn't get the game to crash myself...perhaps something specific to your system...what are your system Spec's ?

•Attach the combat dial to the card below it and have the card below it unlocked so it can be lifted out and shown to all players, not just the one you're fighting. Having to change colours for another person to view it

As it happens you can do this right now if you so wish, the dial is Jointed to the base card underneath it. If you unlock the base card you can lift the whole thing in and out of the zone, without affecting the joint, You will just need to be carful which bit you grab when you want to move it. You will need to make sure you take hold of the base and not the dial otherwise the two parts are likely to spin whilst your moving it.

I think the this all boils down to us not quite having the necessary nuance in some of tools yet to do this set of actions in a truly seamless manor.
    If you move the dial you need to stop it turning as you do so.
    If you erase the Zone to expose it you need to re-draw it again afterwards.
    If you change the zones colour so you opponent can see it no one else can see what's going on.

I'd personally like to see some form of Non destructive quick reveal function added to the Hidden Zones

http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...n-Hidden-Areas

•There are two hand zones in front of each player. There doesn't seem to be a reason for this and one could be removed.
    That second thin Hand Zone behind the first is purely there as a placeholder for the Players name. If its removed the player name appears across the centre of the larger hand zone and due to the light nature of the matt and the faction logo in the centre it makes it quite hard to read especially the lighter coloured white and yellow players names.

The Big zone could be pulled back off the mat till the name appears on the darker table, but it would be a shame not to have your cards positioned in the spot allocated for them...
    Having raised it, do you find the second hand zone is having a detrimental effect on game play ? or is it something you just noticed in passing ?

•Hidden zones need to be moved slightly away from the board. Twice our encounter cards vanished briefly into the purple player's hidden zone.
    I agree, its the hidden zones next to the card Decks that are the worst offenders so getting them shaved back a bit is probably a good idea in the long run.
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 03-03-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Hey Seven, thanks for your feedback to my feedback!

I didn't go into the snap point thing, but I'll load it up this evening and see if it was a one off thing or if it is indeed a misplaced snap point. I forgot to mention that I was able to lower the block while hold it (right mouse button while holding left mouse button) and release it in place as a work around.

Thanks for the tip on doing a second load to fix the hands, I'll keep that in mind. Since we're on the subject of hands, I'll address your question about that now. I wouldn't say anything was really detrimental about anything on the game. Nothing was completely game-breaking, per se. Just some little annoyances that could be improved. However, once in a while if you are manually moving cards in your hand to reorder them or move them into the hand, if you're not careful and clip the name placeholder hand, it will pull the card out of the main hand.

As for the dial, I was going to try what you suggested next game. I think it's just easier that way. No need to switch tools, no chance of accidentally messing up zones.

And finally, as for the books, I can understand it causing an issue for me when I'm using the Alt key, but not why someone else doing it would crash me since that should be something handled on their client end, shouldn't it? (Unless me being host has something to do with it?)

It should be mentioned that this happened with both the standard and Automa books. I use Alt zoom all the time in game, but it wasn't until these books that it has caused crashes.

Nonetheless, here are my specs:
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 4GB GDDR5 (Gigabyte)
    16GB HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi PCI-E
    Creative Tactic 3D Omega
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

A bit dated, but still runs anything at full detail without issue.
    Last edited by Quaxo; 03-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.

All being well things like those duff snap points and hand height bug should get fixed during the next periodic patch so a lot of these should only be a temporary inconvenience. (crosses fingers)

I think doubling the distance between the players main and name holder hand zones would probably be a good idea as well, to stop cards accidentally migrating between the two so easily.

Currently we have a global function where we can disable all hands (without destroying them) if we could select whether to disable/enable/invert a hand on an individual bases it would be extremely useful for situations like this. That would open up some interesting possibilities... you could have hands holding cards that everyone can see and hands only you could see on the table at the same time. As well as make it possible to place a players name anywhere you wanted without it interfering with the other active player hands.

It should be mentioned that this happened with both the standard and Automa books. I use Alt zoom all the time in game, but it wasn't until this books that it has caused crashes.
    This is a bit of an odd one isn't it there is nothing particularly special about the books. which are created using the state function. Might I suggest an experiment.

The player mats are similarly made using the state function. if you pick one then go into its custom menu and temporarily change its Type from board to generic (so ALT zoom will work on it) see if ALT viewing it for a similar length of time also causes a crash.

Nothing in your spec leaps out as an issue the only thing I'm not sure about is Windows 10 as I've not made the jump yet from windows 7 so don't know if its a quirk of that operating system that's somehow causing this to happen.

I'll try that tonight when I get home. It is indeed odd, seeing as I've never had this issue before.

Another friend I play a lot of games with has an almost identical system to mine, the only difference is she has 8GB of the same RAM and a 750, not 760. (I selected the parts for both systems a couple years ago.) She hasn't crashed from it yet. We play a lot of games in TTS (Superfight, Magic, Netrunner, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Eldrich Horror, Star Trek CCG 2E, Three Dragon Ante, The Captain is Dead) and in most of them (especially the card games) Alt zoom is used extensively and never caused an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaxo View Post
    Just finished our first game of Scythe over TTS. Really enjoyed it, but there were some bugs and annoyances.

Bugs:
    • The engineering playmat has an issue with at least one of the upgrade boxes pulling blocks from adjacent upgrade boxes when dropping the blocks (it was the second or third section, I can't remember now). We only noticed this on the engineering card.
    Update on this: It is specifically the engineering placement at the white player location. I looked at the snap points and they are offset.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=637381747

As for the book causing a crash, I tried what you suggested and I did not crash. I went back to the book and couldn't get it to make me crash either, so maybe it was just a temporary thing?
    Last edited by Quaxo; 03-03-2016 at 09:29 PM.

While I was never able to get it to crash again from looking at the rule book (yet), something I have repeatedly been able to do is crash it by flipping the table and waiting a minute.

We also played with the dial card unlocked and lifted it out instead of changing color on hidden zones. It was a lot less frustrating, all can view, and it's quick and easy to lift it out, show it, and then put it back. Don't know why this wasn't in the plan from the beginning because it makes so much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    As well as make it possible to place a players name anywhere you wanted without it interfering with the other active player hands.
    I think the best solution, would be to move it off the table entirely by default, and have it floating in the air above or below your avatar that appears. This way you have full use of the table without worrying about not being able to see the names.

I think the best solution, would be to move it off the table entirely by default, and have it floating in the air above or below your avatar that appears. This way you have full use of the table without worrying about not being able to see the names.
    I like that a lot as an idea. Names on the table worked fine initially but it feels like we've moved a long way since this was instigated. The Mods people create generally have increased in sufficient complexity that the way it works now is just starting to get in the way a little too often.

I was happy to see most of this was addressed in the last patch. The hidden zones are more tolerable now, snap points are fixed, and the hand zones are in better positions now.

I still think the dials should be unlocked by default, but it's easy enough to unlock them. We find that so much easier when we're playing, especially since our group is growing and this weekend's game should be full and there's going to be a lot more combat than when there is 2 or 3 of us.

Hi!
    Bought scythe yesterday to play The automa. I didnt want to pack up my whole game to play solo.
    A ting that bothered me was that the resources for oil and wood looked the same when they were pulled from the chest.
    Besides that i am so pleased with the conversion.
    Im not to great at the controlls yet but im geting there.

I just noticed this, after all this time.

Anna & Wojtek's name is missing a space on the tool tip. It shows as "Anna &Wojtek".

Good eyes Quaxo

One for the next round of fixes I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Good eyes Quaxo
    Good eyes? I've had this DLC since March and I just noticed it! I've even played as that character a few times! lol

Lol, fixed in today's update, thanks!