Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character Sheet Input

Character Sheet Input

Hi guys!

We're looking into getting character sheets into the game, and we'd like your input on what kind you'd like. If you can post your ideas/suggestions and maybe even some sample sheets, that'd be great. We're looking for something universal that would work for multiple scenarios.

Thanks!

Character Sheet Input

Here is a program that is helpful for designing some of the character sheets for GURPs: http://gurpscharactersheet.com/wiki/

and here is a couple of character sheets from that program:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mfaezdm52YUlB1dmlZTlJTS00/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mfaezdm52YSWlIQXBsQ3hyQjA/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mfaezdm52YbUxkSEx4dWR1cm8/edit?usp=sharing

GURPS is likely going to be one of the heavier one as far as details go, the critical elements that are actively looked at almost every turn for GURPS is Skills and Attributes for the players, and for the host they will be looking highly at Advantages & Disadvantages, and any notes along with the stats the players are looking at as well.

but the weight, what the character is carrying are looked at from time to time, and the Fatigue/Hit Points would be more important if they were included as then we would keep track of health and actions points in game.

Character Sheet Input

I think that regardless of systems, most character sheets need the following:

* Specific area to write down name, race, level and other things (that would be important enough to feature on the top of the sheet)
    * Attributes/Stats that can be designated and given a numerical value (with a maximum value as well as a temporary value, e.g. for HP and MP and the like)
    * A way to tally up various numbers into a final score (See AC and Saving Throw areas on the example picture)
    * Lists for things such as skills and equipment
    * Freeform text tab for backstory and general notes

Example of D&D 3.5e character sheet:
    http://www.gamespek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DD-Character-Sheet.jpg

If possible, it would also be nice to have some kind of "paperclip" feature, where you can swap between multiple "tabs" of sheets. Would help keep things tidy, and some systems have so much info for characters that the info can't fit on just one sheet. Heck, if possible, you could even drag and drop several sheets together to keep them from being all over the place - this would be great for DMs as well, that sometimes need to have sheets for enemies.

Character Sheet Input

OK, so let's think about this…

Offering the ability to host and track multiple editable files that can hold the important data of a character sheet ( or anything game / player related) would be very beneficial.

But the idea of crafting a unique, stylized character sheet specific to TTS seems like a huge undertaking. It also hints at the idea that you are developing some kind of RPG ruleset that will be the official Table Top Simulator RPG. That's way too much work, unless it is the direction that you guys want to go. In which case, I'd hire some seasoned paper/pencil game makers and release something awesome.

Character Sheet Input

Rather then creating anything most character sheets are predone outside of the game and put into pdf's, if you dont mind taking the feature to edit character sheets away you could simply make a in game browser that can load pdf's with tabs for each character.

you will also have to take into account that each player may want to look at a different sheet at the same time as another, so it wouldnt work to have it like the notepad, and if you did it like the private notepad then we couldnt see each others sheets which at the very lease all sheets should be seen by the host.

another option for templates is to have the ability to import custom character sheet templates, you would just have to program a layout for us to follow and then we could create the labels and import them and since we dont need to do search functions on them you could make all the fields memos so we dont run out of text space.

Character Sheet Input

Kimi said

Hi guys!

We're looking into getting character sheets into the game, and we'd like your input on what kind you'd like. If you can post your ideas/suggestions and maybe even some sample sheets, that'd be great. We're looking for something universal that would work for multiple scenarios.

Thanks!

The character sheets for the game I most want to play on TTS look like this. All I'd need to make them mostly usable is the ability to upload cards that are about 4 times the size of a standard card. Bonus for having a 'ring' object that I could put over the numbers at the bottom to mark where they are each turn. Or a transparent, but colored, chip to highlight them, or a stamp that we can change each turn. I do realize the character sheets for the game I want to play are different from what RPGs usually have, but you asked for samples and what we're looking for ourselves to give you ideas for what you implement, so there you have it. =)

Character Sheet Input

em said
    The character sheets for the game I most want to play on TTS look like this.

You want the rpg character sheets to look like the character cards in Arkham Horror? Visually those look excellent but as far as the detail we could fit on the card it would be extremely limited to those who play with any rpg rulesets.

Character Sheet Input

In more ways that one, the ultimate character sheet would just be something tandem to an excel sheet. If there was an easy way to simulate a Wiki with that HTML asset, that might be best.
    A character sheet must have a few notable properties: Be editable, be able to contain text and at least one picture in an editable format, and able to convey basic stats.
    The character sheet form an RP I was a part of a while back can be found here. It's just a quick and dirty wiki page that served me perfectly.

Additional, very handy features would include the ability to link a character sheet to a token on the field (ALT+hover would show you the sheet, I suppose), basic excel-style formulas (excel is wonderful for Character sheets. Google Drive integration would totally nullify most components an RPG would need, though I know that's impossible), and stat bars (either basic bars like Health and Mana that only appear on the sheet, or bars that appear over a linked token).

I wonder what your display plan is. You could do a sheet, a card (personally I like this), or something akin to the alt text on cards. Any idea on how users will be viewing the data?

Character Sheet Input

I'd say PDF sheets are definitely the way to go, since PDFs allow for editable text fields which can do calculations automatically and modders could simply design the PDFs as needed. Essentially you'd import a "blank" (no info filled in) version of the PDF to act as a template, from which you could add as many of that type of sheet to a play session as needed.

Display is definitely a bigger question...

Players should be able to make sheets private (but still visible to the host/DM, if an appropriate setting is turned on. I could see it being abused if there wasn't a clearly visible setting and the host was simply another player)
    Having sheets tied to a token would be hugely helpful for quickly accessing the information for that particular character/creature/whatever.
    Also having a menu listing each player's sheets (maybe with a lock or other icon next to the private ones), which you could easily scroll through to find whatever you need.
    For some games it may be necessary to add some sort of team implementation so that sheets (or cards, for that matter) can be visible to everyone on your team, but not players on the other team(s).

Character Sheet Input

JDavis said

I'd say PDF sheets are definitely the way to go, since PDFs allow for editable text fields which can do calculations automatically and modders could simply design the PDFs as needed. Essentially you'd import a "blank" (no info filled in) version of the PDF to act as a template, from which you could add as many of that type of sheet to a play session as needed.

Display is definitely a bigger question...

Players should be able to make sheets private (but still visible to the host/DM, if an appropriate setting is turned on. I could see it being abused if there wasn't a clearly visible setting and the host was simply another player)
    Having sheets tied to a token would be hugely helpful for quickly accessing the information for that particular character/creature/whatever.
    Also having a menu listing each player's sheets (maybe with a lock or other icon next to the private ones), which you could easily scroll through to find whatever you need.
    For some games it may be necessary to add some sort of team implementation so that sheets (or cards, for that matter) can be visible to everyone on your team, but not players on the other team(s).
    I really like the pdf solution (and was advocating specifically this for a while), but historically I've had a lot of trouble saving a fillable pdf with the spaces filled, which is why I didn't recommend it for here. Is that something normal for pdf files, or is it something that's unique to the pdfs I have been trying?

Character Sheet Input

QQuixotic said I really like the pdf solution (and was advocating specifically this for a while), but historically I've had a lot of trouble saving a fillable pdf with the spaces filled, which is why I didn't recommend it for here. Is that something normal for pdf files, or is it something that's unique to the pdfs I have been trying?

it is based on the program you have, if you are just using the reader then that is simply all it is, a reader.

Character Sheet Input

jay_rab said

QQuixotic said I really like the pdf solution (and was advocating specifically this for a while), but historically I've had a lot of trouble saving a fillable pdf with the spaces filled, which is why I didn't recommend it for here. Is that something normal for pdf files, or is it something that's unique to the pdfs I have been trying?

it is based on the program you have, if you are just using the reader then that is simply all it is, a reader.

I tried another program and it did indeed work- you are correct.
    I'd like to redact the Wiki stuff. If we could import .pdf files, modify and save them, that would be most ideal.

Character Sheet Input

PDFs would also work well for non-RPG games that use documents to keep track of things. Like the "Detective Notebooks" in Clue. You could just make a PDF with all the things listed with check boxes next to them (and maybe a text field next to it for notes), and gave each player their own private instance of that template.

Character Sheet Input

I've just run into this project and I'm really impressed. The whole killer feature here is that the sandbox is completely generic and you just play games. Character sheets should follow the same idea.

If I want a character sheet that recalculates things for me and handles the game mechanics, I'll use something like Hero Lab, or one of the billions of Excel spreadsheets that do that for me.

What you really want to do here is to mimic the pencil-and-paper character sheet, by which I mean character sheets in Tabletop Simulator should be dumb.

As a "GM" thinking of actually using Tabletop Simulator to run a game, all I want from character sheets is (1) the ability for players to see and edit their own sheets, (2) the ability as the GM to see everyone's sheets, and (3) a notification when a player edits their sheet (so I can double check it).

The way I envision this is to just avoid any game mechanics or complex layout in the engine. If you want a pretty sheet, going with PDF as already mentioned would be perfect. If you want something editable in the game, might I recommend that character sheets really only need:

• Freeform text fields (Name, Race, Gender, Weapon Proficiencies, etc)
    • Numerical fields (stats, AC, HP, Skills, etc)
    • Optionally, a Dropdown field (Less flexibility on Race, Gender, etc)
    • Optionally, a List of Freeform text fields (Inventory, etc)

I don't think you should try to replace the domain specific character sheet management apps. Adding a new engine to Hero Lab or configuring game rules for something like RPTools can be fun for some, but I find it distracting from the game. What I want to do is to be able to set up a game in Tabletop Simulator and set up a "generic character sheet" for my game engine in five minutes or less. Name. Race. Agility, Smarts, Spirit, Strength, Vigor (Numerical). Inventory list. Skills list. And then trust the players to make sense out of that. If they want to use some outside tool like Herolab to make it easier to level up and manage inventory, that's cool. But in Tabletop Simulator, I really just want the ability to track some basic data.

Doing it that way will make it easier to build personal games, like in the demo video. Upload an image for the board, set up a "character sheet" (Player Name, Money, Property List) and then just play. No complex math, just syncronization and notification for the referee.

Extra stuff, like edit permissions (the banker can edit "money" on character sheets), complex fields, background images, whatever, can be built on top of all that. But I think with the generic features above you could play 90% of table top games that require character sheet in an ad-hoc session with just minutes of preparation. If you want to spend more time than that, you'll be using RPTools or one of the many other overly complex tabletop applications.

Character Sheet Input

Thanks jay_rab to show me this thread!
    Here is an example I've made for Pendragon RPG on Fantasy Grounds (in French, sorry):

There are so many sheets available, doing one in particular seems to me useless: each player/Game Master will have to possibility to edit/change his sheets, and the are too many TableTop RPG available to provide a full set for each.

What is basicaly needed:
    - blank sheet, with the possibility to put a *.jpg file as background and/or as picture of the character. This picture should also being exported as a token quicly.
    - Text editable and plain
    - Ratio button, checkbox, mainly for Hit Points and other kind of related stats.
    - As JeffDeaf said, multiple tabs are mandatory. Paper sheets are bigger than the one available online.
    With those simple elements, everybody would be able to create quickly any Character Sheets and you will not have any Copyrights issues. The community in TableTop RPG is really active and helpful, there will soon be a lot of homemaid sheets, trust me!

The best will be a WYSWYG editor to create the sheet for placing elements directly without any coding skills required. The top would be the possibility as (Roll20 is doing) to bind a stat directly to a roll ; if I have 35% in brawling, a double-clic (or anything else) can provide a direct dice throw of 2D10 on the table.

I'm really interest in this mod of the TableTopSimulation, and I'm pretty sure you have a great opportunity with the tabletop community. I will be please to help, do not hesitate to ask if you wish to.

Character Sheet Input

This is the official Character sheet for D&D 3.5
    http://www.theagencystar.com/download_files/Interactive_DnD_3.5_Character_Sheet.pdf
    The most popular Edition of D&D.

Character Sheet Input

I would like to see something more generic: rather than trying to reproduce various character sheets (some of which are Copyrighted), I would like to see a generic character sheet editor, perhaps something that uses a single background image for the form and then lets the users click on the sheet to add or edit text.

When a user clicks in an empty place on the form, an input box will appear on the page, allowing the user to type text on the page.
    When the user clicks an existing text box, the user will be able to edit the text or delete the box entirely.
    Also... add "white out" feature, so players can scan in existing filled-out character sheets, then erase and overwrite parts of the page as their character changes throughout the course of the game.

Character Sheet Input

Make a sheet a table with a customizable number of rows and columns. Then have a basic option that literally just lets you write down text in the cells (maybe with some basic rich text editing like bold/italic/underlined) and an advanced option that lets you, either via ingame editor or just plain code (XML, HTML, maybe something like WPF), put certain items in the cells like radio buttons, checkboxes, dropdowns or images.

Depending on how much work on this you guys think is worth it you could even skip the table outright for the advanced option and straight up allow for basic HTML or "XAML" (but with the Unity GUI behind it instead of WPF) which would alllow you to pretty much create or replicate any character sheet in existence.

I suppose if you go balls deep with that you could even add ID's/Names for individual cells, allowing their content to be displayed at other places via a macro/placeholder. So to quickly look up information or have it displayed in the notepad you could enter something like #PlayerRed.HealthPoints#.

Character Sheet Input

just add white papers to the game that can be edited like docx files.
    So everyone can create there own charater sheets.

You should also add charactersheet-"books" for the GM and Multipage-Character sheets.

Character Sheet Input

Editable sheets would be good like Ultra said, or maybe just a selection of generic sheets ranging from the different manestream types of games, so D20 modern, GURPS, DnD4E etc etc. Or a mix of the two would be best, some pre-made for beginners, and a blank option for those experienced or who want a highly customized campaign.

Character Sheet Input

If I like the idea of 'character sheets' I would feel better to actually have specific attributes such as HP, MP, etc. linked directly onto any RPG figurine or game item rather than being stuck with one global sheet, or multiple sheets for multiple characters.

For me, it should be as simple as:

Admin:
    + Right-Click on item
    + Add Attribute
    + Add attribute tooltip info (desc)
    + Set Value
    + Add icon picture of attribute
    + Save / Save & Lock

Player:
    + Right click
    + Edit value
    + Save

Also, I do not agree with others. PDF is not the good way to go. We are not working in an office, and we shall note use proprietary solutions. It sounds heavy for what needs to be done.

Character Sheet Input

I agree it would be nice to attach individual stats to figurines on the board, but I don't think they should solely be stored there.

If you store the stats in a sheet, in whatever way really, then you just "attach" that sheet to as many figurines as many times as necessary.

Heck, I suppose once a sheet is attached you could just show the sheet if somebody hovers over the figurine with ALT instead of just showing a closeup of the figurine from a weird perspective. That way everybody could easily watch any stats associated with a figurine.

That said, having the option to add single variables to figurines would still be nice, as I suppose you'll often just want to add something like a "Current HP" stat to certain figures without having to set up a whole sheet for them.

Character Sheet Input

I also agree that having characters sheets is good for atmosphere, but it is also obviously limited to a small number of characters.

You can have board games with monsters, and even items in the environment that can need variables. Will you make a character sheet solely for the HP of that wall that you need to demolish?

With RPG heroes figurines (and then what workshop will bring us) I keep thinking that having a right-click to see the information of a piece is better than having a paper sheet on the board. It minimizes space, and nothing forbids to make proper tooltip box that would include a background or other design. It also permits to keep edition content in-game, and not have to rely on other specific programs.

And, honestly, development wise, I am not certain it would not be easier to add custom properties to an item rather than struggle with PDF integration. The game is only waiting for that, honestly.

Character Sheet Input

I've been thinking about how to do character sheets, and, honestly, with SteamWorkshop support, and a standard format (such as html), I believe that it shouldn't be an issue for almost any type of character sheet to be built. The only thing that would need to happen with them is:

1. Make it so character sheets are stored by the host.
    2. Have a switch so that character sheet changes are only able to be made by the host.
    3. Have a switch which allows only the host and the player who is assigned the sheet to view the sheet.

I think that with those caveats, and the ability for player-created editable sheets, there should be no character sheets that could not be replicated.

Character Sheet Input

I'd put in my vote for importing PDF, HTML, JPG, PNG file upload (with customizable) aspect ratio, size & thickness, and some kind of writing utensil in the game to mark on the sheet (and on other surfaces too ).

Course, if cards would allow customizable aspect ratios, we could just use those, and really the only thing we'd be lacking is the Pencil/Marker/Paintbrush side of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast