Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Character Sheet Input

Character Sheet Input

Chris_Walker said

I'd put in my vote for importing PDF, HTML, JPG, PNG file upload (with customizable) aspect ratio, size & thickness, and some kind of writing utensil in the game to mark on the sheet (and on other surfaces too ).

Course, if cards would allow customizable aspect ratios, we could just use those, and really the only thing we'd be lacking is the Pencil/Marker/Paintbrush side of this.

True, an image plus some sort of write- on mechanic is all that we need. If we can 'attach' these 'sheets' to objects, all the better. It would have the roguelike allure of pressing 'examine' on an object to get all the information you need. Got a destructible wall? Throw a blank jpg on there and scribble 'Health 10/10'. I'd probably use scraps of paper on individual tiles for something like that anyway, so to me it simulates surprisingly well the 'real' mechanics I would use at a tabletop.
    Edit: By 'attach', I mean something that functions like the ALT command on cards. If you hover over while holding ALT or somesuch button, it brings up the attached data/character/info sheet.

Character Sheet Input

I'd personally prefer editable pdf forms. With the ability to import any that you'd like not just one that is generic.
    So I agree with all the people above who said the same. ^^

Character Sheet Input

It would be nice to have it so, if I pick up a character sheet and it has cards, tokens, or markers on it, that they all stay on the sheet.

Character Sheet Input

Here is a character sheet I made up to enable Dungeons and Dragon play online but it can be edited for anygame and it uses no copywritten images so you are free to use it. The design isn't as pretty as I'd like it to be, but I built it a few years ago.

Here is a bit of an explanation of the sheet I did up to help people use it.

And here is the character sheet to download: Here
    It have the main sheet as shown above and a few "Power" sheets which again can be edited for anything.
    This character sheet also allows for saving and editing of information.

I have also done a mini initiative order card for use in an initiative system..

I could probably do a better design now as this is a few years old as well. it was initially designed for the Initiative system I coded for this project but I was waiting for some more multiplayer knowledge before I bothered with an update... But I think my update will have to wait as I can't wait to get my hands dirty in TTS making mods.. or contributing to the project any way I can.

I figured I'd add these images of Item and Monster Cards I also did for the same project...

Character Sheet Input

For this project only, PSD files are available if needed.

Character Sheet Input

I really like the look of MWMdragon's suggestion as it does have a clean feel to it and is easily read, I have a worry though that the character sheet will take up the full screen blocking any vision as to what is happening on the board, ideally whatever is set up would only take at most half the screen which I see as a huge undertaking as to all that needs to go into a character sheet being brought down to that size.

Character Sheet Input

There can always be an "Initiative Card" style of image on the side of the screen for each players character that allows for basic stat editing while playing and then a "View Full" button to allow the full sheet to be viewed and edited.

These "Initiative Cards" can be on a flyout panel from the right side of the screen that can be hidden down to a little tab on the right side of the screen.. kind of like some tool tabs in Unity.

This system not only makes the best of the space available, but allows for a real Initiative system to be added later using the exact same dynamic if desired.

If you require a layout or mindmap of an initiative system just let me know.

As for the character sheet, I can come up with a more generic RPG version if needed. I initially designed this to be printed and used by kids learning to play.. I have some ideas to streamline it even more including some basic color coding to help the noobs looking to get into Tabletop RPGs because of the options TTS gives them with their online friends.

As for jay_rab's suggestion of being only half a screen in size.. I could design that with just a touch of modularity.. I could easily have just as much information in a tiny space. In fact if you look at the "Initiative Card" there are little circle buttons on the bottom.. each one could be a downward flyout section containing a section of the character sheet that were not able to be edited on the little Initiative card..

Example:
    Button 1: Ability Stats
    Button 2: Backpack
    Button 3: Equipped Items
    Button 4: Skills
    Button 5: Feats
    .. and so on

That would contain an entire character sheet into a very very small portion of the screen.. issue solved
    ( I used to work for a software company doing GUI design.. most boing job ever.. however when applied to fun.. I'm loving it lol )

Now.. for a look at blanket RPG coverage, all in the name of TTS:

To give the best customization with least amount of headaches.. There should be a language file.. a plain editable txt file that can be used to load the test used to label each field on the character sheet.. not just so it can suit any language.. but so it can suit any RPG system.

Example:
    Playing DND: Dexterity can be "Dexterity" in the character sheet text file.
    Playing a War Game: Dexterity can be edited in the txt file to "Terrain Limit" in the character sheet file.

Not only do you now have a very low visual footprint with maximum stat space but also the ability to suit any game type.
    Playing a Space game: Ddexterity can be edited in the txt file to be "Retro Thrusters" in the character Sheet file.

Crude Visual:

Character Sheet Input

jay_rab said

I really like the look of MWMdragon's suggestion as it does have a clean feel to it and is easily read, I have a worry though that the character sheet will take up the full screen blocking any vision as to what is happening on the board, ideally whatever is set up would only take at most half the screen which I see as a huge undertaking as to all that needs to go into a character sheet being brought down to that size.

My concern is flexibility. As soon as you introduce a generic template there will be infinite situations where it'll be too small, too big, not enough columns/categories etc. This is where a PDF or jpg upload and some way to type/draw onto the boards provides for much more flexibility, it'll accommodate MWMdragon's template and infinite others.

Character Sheet Input

I think the best way to do this is to attached extra info to objects in the scene than you can bring it up kinda like how ALT works right now.

Character Sheet Input

Knil said

I think the best way to do this is to attached extra info to objects in the scene than you can bring it up kinda like how ALT works right now.

That would be amazing!

*Hovers over custom deck*
    "Munchkin Deck"
    *Hovers over another deck*
    "Munchkin Expansion Deck"

How would you go about editing it though?

Character Sheet Input

Knil said

Good to hear. Will this extra info be limited to text or have you not decided such things yet?
    Either way it'll be fun! Can't wait!

Character Sheet Input

QQuixotic said

Knil said

Good to hear. Will this extra info be limited to text or have you not decided such things yet?
    Either way it'll be fun! Can't wait!

Most likely initially just text.

I'd love to support PDF right out of the gate for everyone, but Unity's PDF support is non existent and would basically force me to write a PDF reader from scratch.

Character Sheet Input

Knil said Most likely initially just text.

I'd love to support PDF right out of the gate for everyone, but Unity's PDF support is non existent and would basically force me to write a PDF reader from scratch.

hmm sounds like there is a nich'e there then, if it hasnt been made elsewhere it could be a tabletop sim only feature.

Character Sheet Input

Knil said

Most likely initially just text.

Being able to mark things up with text in-game will be a hugely useful feature,

Good to know about unity & PDFs. Honestly adding pdf support doesn't sound like it'd be worth it any time soon then, especially since we can compensate with images (jpg & png etc).

Character Sheet Input

Chris_Walker said

jay_rab said

My concern is flexibility. As soon as you introduce a generic template there will be infinite situations where it'll be too small, too big, not enough columns/categories etc. This is where a PDF or jpg upload and some way to type/draw onto the boards provides for much more flexibility, it'll accommodate MWMdragon's template and infinite others.

This is exactly my thought too.
    Customizablility is the most important feature of a game like this.
    If you make just 1 template for a sheet, then people must conform into the preset and there will always be exceptions, games that require certain non-standard style sheet and then you will have to say "But the template wasn't designed for such game, so tough luck."

One thing to note: I used the in-game text notepad, but it doesn't work as expected when the text is copied and pasted onto a .txt file outside the game.
    I don't know why but for example, at first I copied and pasted onto Notepad++ and all my Japanese text got broken in the text file, I tried a few encoding selections but couldn't salvage that piece.
    Then I made a .txt file on a folder, copied and pasted using the windows default notepad and it worked but the "tabs" and spaces don't hold the same in-game and out of the game.
    These finicky behaviors of the in-game texts should be fixed when you implement a larger character sheet thingy.
    But, thank you for allowing us to chat in Japanese, make notes in Japanese, and generally allowing us to use 2 byte characters inside the game, this is a rare treat for us that can't be expected from other English based game devs.

Character Sheet Input

I've thought a little bit about a way that would be easy for the developers to implement character sheets that would also provide customizeability for users and content creators, and I think using HTML as the format for character sheets could work well. When first importing a character sheet you'd be given a prompt much like the one to import a deck, asking you to provide a URL or local file location (and, optimally, a menu allowing you to select recently used files). Once imported the sheet itself would appear as a card-like object on the table and display a static image of the html file generated by the game, thought the context menu you would be able to open up a browser-like window and interact with the html file directly, making changes as the file itself allows, and upon closing the window the game would render a new static image from it and apply it to the in-game character sheet object.

This system, or one similar to it, would allow you to offload most of work of designing character sheets onto the community, and would allow pre-existing online character sheets to be used. Also, by using static images instead of the HTML directly it should greatly save on system resources involving lots of character sheets, as they wouldn't be interactive in the normal sense.

More general suggestions for character sheets that would be nice in any system:
    • Players other than the host should have the option of saving character sheets locally so that they can be imported into later games.
    • You should be able to associate a character sheet with any object that is also a figurine, such that you could hover over the figurine and press a button to view the sheet.
    • Once a sheet is associated with a figurine, you should be able to remove the 'physical' sheet on the table without breaking that association.
    • For long character sheets, you each time you flip it, the sheet would display the next page of the sheet until reaching the end, at which point it returns to the beginning.

Character Sheet Input

Honestly, I think the best option is to just use custom cards (or something functionally identical) as character sheets. Lots of games ALREADY do this (see: Betrayal at house on the hill), you just need a way to mark them.

I suggest having a new import option for Character Sheets, that works pretty much identically to the current deck import, except its just a front image and a back image, and that's it. These function exactly like cards, except they don't stack with each other.

Then add a "Write on" feature to both cards and character sheets, which will bring up a small editor with just 3 tools. Text Tool (adjustable font size maybe?), Pencil Tool (Red, Blue, and Black versions), and an eraser that doesn't erase the card, only edits to it. After that, you now have... a piece of paper you can type on. Which is really all we need to start with, after that, sure tweaks can be made (maybe stuff like layering, shape drawing tools, or moving text after placing it), but thats really all the basics of what a character sheet is in real life, and all we really NEED in TTS.

And I do think it would be nice to be able to write on cards as well, just because that means we could totally play 1000 Blank White Cards, which is a great game.

Character Sheet Input

why not just a sheet of "paper" that is really a frame that loads an editable pdf?

Character Sheet Input

tehdevil said
    why not just a sheet of "paper" that is really a frame that loads an editable pdf?
    Most likely because of what is said in this post. "Unity's PDF support is non existent and would basically force me to write a PDF reader from scratch."

Character Sheet Input

I was thinking more along the lines of a form creator built into the program similar to googles form creator.

Character sheets can be created from that. That's not an easy thing to throw together but the end result would allow for a lot of meta data to be passed from forms back to the game play of tts giving mod developers a lot more control to link information. Dice rolls that automatically calculate damage for example.

Character Sheet Input

found a link about this:
    http://www.francescogallorini.com/2011/02/unity-sharp-pdf/

hope this helps!

The main thing is for them to be configurable for any system. Probably the best idea would be to bring in another image as a blank character sheet; as suggested a PDF, JPG, HTNL, etc. And then allow writing on top of that, both with a pencil and a typing tool of some kind. Of course as the program won't know where the lines are to type into, it will have to be pretty open as to where you can place the cursor, and point size of the typing.

Now that the tablet has been released, this takes care of the character sheet issue as people can create their own however they want. I'm closing this topic since it's now void. Thanks for your input!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12