Thread: Position of Player Names should be moved

Position of Player Names should be moved

We discussed this in the Bugs & Suggestions thread for the Scythe DLC, but I thought it deserved it's own thread in the proper place, so it wouldn't get lost within the conversation we were having.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    As well as make it possible to place a players name anywhere you wanted without it interfering with the other active player hands
    I think the best solution, would be to move it off the table entirely by default, and have it floating in the air above or below your avatar that appears. This way you have full use of the table without worrying about not being able to see the names.
    I think the best solution, would be to move it off the table entirely by default, and have it floating in the air above or below your avatar that appears. This way you have full use of the table without worrying about not being able to see the names.
    I like that a lot as an idea. Names on the table worked fine initially but it feels like we've moved a long way since this was instigated. The Mods people create generally have increased in sufficient complexity that the way it works now is just starting to get in the way a little too often.

This one gets a somewhat Unsurprising +1 from me

That would be great. +1

Yes please.

While I agree, this is a great idea, I would like to also suggest if this is done, there should be some indication where the player's hand is positioned around the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaxo View Post
    While I agree, this is a great idea, I would like to also suggest if this is done, there should be some indication where the player's hand is positioned around the table.
    Normally, the players hand(and name) is located in front of the player's avatar. So if the players' name is moved to above or below the avatar and the avatar is not moved, there shouldn't really be an issue there as it'd still be in front of you.

I'll vote for this one too

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    Normally, the players hand(and name) is located in front of the player's avatar. So if the players' name is moved to above or below the avatar and the avatar is not moved, there shouldn't really be an issue there as it'd still be in front of you.
    Normally, yes. But there are many instances when they aren't, but that wasn't my point.

When playing most games, the view is at such an angle or zoom level that avatars (and in this case, names) wouldn't be visible without tilting the camera down or having to zoom out. A visual indicator of some sort for a player's hand should still be there, whether it's some kind of zone-like shading (like hidden zones) or just a color rectangle around the hand area so ownership of the hand can be seen without having to move the camera to view the above floating avatar/name.

Or, at the very least, the host option to turn hand/player indicators on or off, or to set name position to under hand or under avatar.

You can do this yourself now by deleting existing Hand Zones and create new ones where you want. So if you want the name to be off the table, create the zone there first. But if you also want your card hands to be on the table, then draw a second zone of the same color in front of the other on the table.

Now when you deal cards, they will only go to the one on the table, but your name will be off the table along with your avatar.

edit: I updated this info in our Knowledge Base: http://berserk-games.com/knowledgebase/hand-zones

[QUOTE=Lucky seven;9003]
    my thought about this is that it would float above or below the avatar, but in the same orientation, viewed vertically, instead of horizontally flat along the table plane.
    20160504234612_1.jpg

The problem with floating names is you wouldn't be able to see names that are on the same side of the table.

HI Kimiko. I can't get this to work with version 8.7. I have deleted all hand zones and I do as you suggest and create the hand zone off the table with my name, then I create another on the table where I want the cards to be dealt. However when I hover over a deck and tap a number on the keyboard for that amount of cards to be draw, the cards go off the table to the hand zone with my name. Is there something I'm not doing correctly.

Hey Digger welcome to the community

Its most likely a line of site thing. When you draw or deal a card it travels whatever is the shortest distance in the straightest line to the nearest of your Hand zones.

you'll either need to move the hand zone with your name a bit more, or use the new Gizmo tools to shrink down the Hand zone that currently holds your name to a small cube to reduce its footprint on the table.
    You'll have to play with the exact size as when it gets very small (a couple of TTS units) it may stop showing your name.

EDIT: Just had a thought....Which table are you using ?

Awesome thanks for the welcome and the speedy reply Lucky seven. To answer your question I am using the custom rectangle table. However your suggested solved my problem.

Thanks again much appreciated.

there comes a situation that there should be some indication about hand the position of the player. if the players' name is moved to above or below the avatar without moving the avatar there should not be any problem.

or use the new Gizmo tools to shrink down the Hand zone that currently holds your name to a small cube to reduce its footprint on the table.
    The new Gizmo only works with hidden zones, not the Hand zones. You still must edit the .JSON to change those to specific values.

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    The problem with floating names is you wouldn't be able to see names that are on the same side of the table.
    The problem with hands on the table is you wouldn't be able to see names that are covered by cards. Maybe it would be a good idea to have both.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-23-2017 at 09:10 AM.

The new Gizmo only works with hidden zones, not the Hand zones. You still must edit the .JSON to change those to specific values.
    Your Right, that ones blindsided me for sure

The Hidden, Random and Scripting Zones are all alterable with the Gizmo Tool.

So I just assumed the Hand Zone would be as well....Guess its true what they assumptions

The Gizmo tool will work on the Hand Zones in the next update, thanks!