Thread: Generic money?

Generic money?

I was thinking some built-in generic money bits would be nice to have. We have poker chips but those give a different sort of "feel" to a game, plus it doesn't come in the lower denominations many games use.

I don't know if people would want large card-like paper money or smaller token money (like Arkham Horror, for example). Personally I like the token style.

And just for fun I whipped up an example texture. Just have the same face on both sides:

Generic money?

idolminds said
    We have poker chips but those give a different sort of "feel" to a game, plus it doesn't come in the lower denominations many games use.

While true, it doesn't take a genius to divide by 10.

10 = 1
    50 = 5
    100 = 10
    500 = 50
    1000 = 100

Having said that, if your game uses a lot of money (like monopoly) using the cards does make it easier to manage.

Generic money?

I like them! I like them so much, I decided to make a Zimbabwe edition!

(but seriously, thanks for the contribution).

Generic money?

Hahaha xD Really like the Zimbabwe edition!

But to be more serious I really like the idea and I do think you have done a nice job with the textures, looks really great! I would really like to see this in-game.

Generic money?

I would like to see a "balance" for each player, rather than using paper money. In addition, there would be a bank or house balance that would be independent of any players.

Players could withdraw from the bank and give money to other players at any time, with a banking history box on the screen whenever the bank is active. (This would show all of the transactions since the host started the game. The host could also override all transactions and balances, allowing for a full reset and to quickly deal money to each player.)

Generic money?

tomxp411 said

I would like to see a "balance" for each player, rather than using paper money. In addition, there would be a bank or house balance that would be independent of any players.

Players could withdraw from the bank and give money to other players at any time, with a banking history box on the screen whenever the bank is active. (This would show all of the transactions since the host started the game. The host could also override all transactions and balances, allowing for a full reset and to quickly deal money to each player.)

I am fond of this idea, because it means dealing with very imprecise amounts would be easy (instead of quick and easy denominations). Things like LP in YuGiOh would be well suited to this system. On the other hand I wanna keep as much stuff as 'board game' as possible. I totally see pros and cons.

Generic money?

I like that idea. The "bank" would just become a UI element which would make it easier to trade and see who has what. Though no harm in having both methods and leaving it up to the players to decide which one they want (for games that have a "pot" the physical bits might be better). I would say the developers should implement the UI version, while "paper money" could easily be added as a mod by users.

Generic money?

I don't think we should incorporate a bank into a UI element; if we do, at least keep it in a simple notepad. I think having too much handled by the computer detracts from the experience of board game simulator; there should be a bit of awkwardness involved, just like in real life.

Generic money?

Cheesesteak said

I don't think we should incorporate a bank into a UI element; if we do, at least keep it in a simple notepad. I think having too much handled by the computer detracts from the experience of board game simulator; there should be a bit of awkwardness involved, just like in real life.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm all for expanding TTS as a tabletop augmented with the features only a computer can allow (especially when it fixes an otherwise shortcoming of using a computer instead of physical pieces) but a specialized UI feature such as a bank I don't think fits too well. A more generic, counter or bar style functionality would be more fitting, as it would simply be emulating in an enhanced way what we would be putting on paper.

Generic money?

QQuixotic said

I'm inclined to agree. I'm all for expanding TTS as a tabletop augmented with the features only a computer can allow (especially when it fixes an otherwise shortcoming of using a computer instead of physical pieces) but a specialized UI feature such as a bank I don't think fits too well. A more generic, counter or bar style functionality would be more fitting, as it would simply be emulating in an enhanced way what we would be putting on paper.

That's a good point, generic stuff would be fine. To that end, maybe a generic, simple calculator could be included too. Because for a real board game, we might bring a pocket calculator or use our phones, and we would still need to punch all the numbers in manually so it would be fitting.

Generic money?

Cheesesteak said

QQuixotic said

That's a good point, generic stuff would be fine. To that end, maybe a generic, simple calculator could be included too. Because for a real board game, we might bring a pocket calculator or use our phones, and we would still need to punch all the numbers in manually so it would be fitting.

I was going to say I didn't see the need for this since pretty much every computer comes with a simple calculator program, but then I realized that not everyone plays the game in windowed mode like I do and tabbing out to use the computer calculator could be really annoying.

Generic money?

NightCrest said
    I was going to say I didn't see the need for this since pretty much every computer comes with a simple calculator program, but then I realized that not everyone plays the game in windowed mode like I do and tabbing out to use the computer calculator could be really annoying.

In theory, it makes sense to assume a feature complete Tabletop Simulator would have all of the features necessary to not require tabbing out while playing a game for calculations, chat, or third party resources (like a character sheet or rulebook), while still retaining the feel of an enhanced tabletop.