Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint tutorials

Right some tips working with Gimp are probably in order.

First thing you should do when you open it up is expand the tool box option bar till you can read the " You can drop dockable dialogs here" text on the bottom half of it.

then go to the top row of tabs and select Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Tool Options..... in that order.

when the Tool options window pops up left click and hold your mouse over the little tab in the Window that reads Tool options now without releasing the left mouse button drag and drop the tool Options tab into the space at the bottom of the tool box your expanded earlier.

This will make controlling everything in Gimp that much easier...Trust me

Now to the task at hand. try this as an alternative method to remove all the white you don't want.

first using the top row of tabs select Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha channel. (your importing a JPG so it will need this adding)

Then select the bucket tool in the tool box and in the "tool options" below change the mode to Colour erase.

make sure your colour is set to white, the "fill similar colours" button is checked and adust the threshold slider to say...45 ish to start.
    then whilst still in the bucket tool mode click on the sections you want to remove...and if you've done it right you should remove only the sections you want to remove.

you might have to tweak that threshold setting a bit to get the best effect. but the process is simple and easily repeatable if you've a pile of these to do in a hurry.
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 05-19-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks Lucky Seven.....I'll play around with it tonight/tomorrow and report back.

Can't thank you enough

I for some reason cannot see " You can drop dockable dialogs here" text

But I can get the little tool box window to open, get it set to color erase, but I can't see where I set the color to white or see any threshold slider.

So, the above procedures you've listed will make that white portion transparent while keeping the text and icons still white and visible on the black dial top?

Thank you

I too, am a user of GIMP, so I'll hand off a few tips:
    So, first, this is probably what you see here: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103303
    The first thing you'll wanna do is get it all organized and go up to the Menu Bar in the Image editor box. Go to Windows > Single-Window Mode. http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103304
    This will take the Toolbar, Graphic, and Layers windows, and just merge them all into one single window, and you'll end up with your view like this: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103305
    And if you look in that photo, where the Pointer is, you'll see the "You can drop dockable dialogs here." text in the Toolbar area to the left. Then in that same "Windows" menu, go to the 2nd option, which is "Dockable Dialogs", and right at the top, is "Tool Options". http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103306
    So click on it, and then you can take the box/window that appears, and drag it over to "dock" it where it says "You can drop dockable dialogs here.", and it will become a little tab underneath all of the tools in the Toolbar area:
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103307
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103308
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103309
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103310

And now the Task: You said you were able to get the bucket set to color erase, but not able to see where you set the color. If you look here: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103312
    where my pointer is, under the toolbar, you can see 2 boxes for Colors. The default is Black, and White. The Top color is the Foreground color selection, and the bottom is the Background Color selection. As mine is ATM, Black is the Foreground, and White is the Background. You can double-click either box, and get a Color Selection dialog, to change the color. Since the Background color is already set to White, the easy thing to do would be to set the "Fill Type" for the Bucket tool to "BG Color Fill", so that it uses the Background color. Right under that is the "Affected Area option. Set it to "Fill similar colors", and then click on the white area you intend to make transparent, and it should erase it, and you'll see a grey checkered area instead(to indicate transparency). Once you're done, go up to File > Export and you'll get a Window named "Export File" where you can point it to where you want to save your file to, and save it as a particular file type. So in the Name field, name your file, and make sure to give it the .png extension at the end. So it'd be "ImageName.png". Then point it to where you want to save the file, and hit "Export" in the bottom right corner. Then you'll have your image where you pointed it to, and you can now find it there and use it in TTS.

Sorry for what seemed like "holding your hand to guide you"(and the overload of pictures lol), but sometimes a visual helps a LOT.
    Last edited by TheRaven81; 05-19-2016 at 12:56 AM.

I freely admit I need hand holding when it comes to image manipulation and I cannot thank you all enough for being so generous with your time and your knowledge.

Well, right off the bat I do not get the same screen when I start up GIMP (mind you....I'm using GIMP 2 if that matters)

This is what I get......

Capture.jpg

@TheRaven81 When describing with pictures it would be helpful to embed the pictures in your post so that the user doesn't have to keep clicking at each step.

So where you've got "http://www.pasteall.org/pic/103303", just replace the "pic/103303" part with "pic/show.php?id=103303" and that will link the direct image.
    I got to that step by opening one of your links, right clicking the image in the center of the page and clicking on "Open image in new tab" which reveals the direct image link.

Then use the [IMG]LINK HERE[\IMG] tags to embed the image.

You can also use the [SPOILER]STUFF HERE[/SPOILER] tag (I don't think that's visible even in Advanced) to create a spoiler so it doesn't use so much space.

Use the "Fuzzy Select Tool", and select the white area you need to be transparent. Then when you use the Bucket Fill tool, set the Affected area to "Fill whole selection", and click inside the selection area. Then the tool will only affect what's selected. Or you can simply use the eraser on just that area.

Anyone have an idea the best way to make a 2d character like the one Lucky Seven did (the Riddler) so it's trimmed?

Thanks

Ok

So I got the base loaded up into GIMP....selected "fuzzy select tool".......clicked the white area......then used "Bucket fill tool"........then I set the affected area to Fill whole selection" and clicked inside that white area....it turned it black....saved it and loaded it into TTS....the area was black...

Not sure what I missed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well a couple of things.. did you have the colour tool set to "color erase" or was it set to Normal ?

Did you remember to add the alpha channel ?

When you do it right you should expose the two tone grey checker pattern that's used to represent The Alpha channel (the transparent layer your image is sitting on)

The fact it turned the centre to black suggests you've used Black as a "Normal" fill color rather than White as a "Color Erase" color.

I'd do you a vid but my screen capture software really doesn't get on with Gimp for Some Reason

Lucky Seven (and everyone else who helped), thank you....I got it to work.

Now, I need to figure out how to "trim" a 2d character image.

Time to practice what you've all helped with and get better!

Thanks again....can't express how much I appreciate the people here.

As far as I know, that's done with transparency too. The shape of your item will conform to the non-transparent edge of the image.

yeah, so what you'll want to do, is basically cut the shape of the character out by clearing the outer areas. Then, I'd say for an easy way, you can use the Custom Token, and enter your image into the field, and then it'll cut it out and make a shaped token of it. Then you'd stand it upright, and joint it to the top of the dial with a fixed joint.

Thank you Raven

Lucky Seven....I followed your youtube tutorial and everything is going great, however, when I get to the character figure.....when I go to "Gizmo" and then click on the figure......the green colored line points downward, not upward like yours and I can't get the 2d standee figure to stand upright.....

I'll keep fiddling with it

thank you

If the arrow points down you should flip over the figure.. then switch to the Gismo tool..

how to you make the image stay up when you move it (before you flip it to make it "stand" ?

Got it....have to lock the image!
    Last edited by acctingman; 05-21-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Lucky

I'm noticing that when I've made my "joint" from figure to base and then base to figure, when I'm done.....I can grab the whole piece, turn the dial, but when I go to put the whole thing down....it tilts a little and hovers above the ground....then slowly tilts more and will land on the surface sideways....

Any idea what I'm missing?

That will either be down to the joints being incorrectly set or a conflict between the snap and grid settings of the various parts.

Go into the toggle mode for each part of the assembly and turn off the snap and grid toggle for each piece and see if that makes any difference before we look at the joint settings you have applied.

So, when they go all wonky....and flip upside down....how does on grab onto the whole thing and place it upright?

Tried taking off all Snap and Grid....it went nuts!

"F" key will flip it over..

Thank you Lucky

Lucky

Think everything is working now. I still need to tweak a few things, but so far, so good.

One last question for the night!

Is there a way to place that black dial on top of the white numerical dial so it's exactly on it without it any overlap? (or is it just a best eye's view?)

Again, thank you so much for all your help. This is a little project I've dreamed of for years

well your limited somewhat by how round the two objects end up which is the down side of not using custom models I'm afraid.

But a simple way to get the centres to line up (which gives you the least worst edge lap) is to use grid snapping or set a single snap point for the two objects to "lock" onto when your stacking them one on top of each other. just make sure these toggles are active for each of the pieces.

Hey Lucky

Another question for you.

When I take the Riddler and use "-" to make the piece smaller the figure winds up being a couple inches off the base.

Any idea how I can avoid that from happening?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast