Thread: Chat logging (Text Roleplaying Priority!)

Chat logging (Text Roleplaying Priority!)

Currently there is no way to log what is said in chat. This is a very important feature for text roleplaying as it gives everyone a reliable backlog of events that have transpired.

Suggested implementation would be to have it log the last 5 chats or so by default, with a slider that can increase the number, with the farmost side of the slider simply setting it to infinite.

Naming scheme should be year first, then month, then day, all numerical, for proper sorting.

Hello, I made this suggestion over two years ago, and it's still really important to me. I would very much like to see it implemented, thank you.

Would it be fine if host had to run an application alongside TTS and it would log your chat into a file next to it? That's doable.

If you mean logging chats in-game (to notebook, on-screen note, whatever) it's totally doable through scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by dzikakulka View Post
    Would it be fine if host had to run an application alongside TTS and it would log your chat into a file next to it? That's doable.

If you mean logging chats in-game (to notebook, on-screen note, whatever) it's totally doable through scripting.
    I'm requesting a feature for Tabletop Simulator, not a separate program. I would like it to log the text of the chat somewhere in Documents\My Games\Tabletop Simulator, perhaps requiring a 'log chat' setting to be enabled with an option to choose how many days worth of logs to save.

It's super niche request, doubt it would be added especially since we have the tools to do that ourselves. If you're interested in that, look up "sendExternalMessage" and TTS editor API, it's capable of sending stuff outside TTS. But of course nothing is stopping you from waiting till it's added

Quote Originally Posted by dzikakulka View Post
    It's super niche request, doubt it would be added especially since we have the tools to do that ourselves. If you're interested in that, look up "sendExternalMessage" and TTS editor API, it's capable of sending stuff outside TTS. But of course nothing is stopping you from waiting till it's added
    It is not niche to anyone who wants to run a RPG campaign in Tabletop Simulator. Having to program something to do simple logging of the Game tab is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Can you please stop trying to make a case against this being added?