Thread: Hold cards in hand rather than on table?

Hold cards in hand rather than on table?

I'm curious about this one. The way the card hands are currently spread on the table makes things a tad difficult for me in VR so far. Grip-zooming one card at a time to get a better look isn't quite as fast as running the mouse over each card with the alt key held down.
    Similar to the ghost hand suggestion, perhaps if you could make your alt-hand show a fan of cards, it would be easier to view and pick from them?

You might be able to leave the table-based "hand" mechanics as is, and have your alt-wand basically be a mirror for convenience.

This is something I suggested in my thread as well and added on to that with changing the Dpad on the "hand controller" so that right and left selects cards in your hand and makes them larger versions much like we are use to in many online card games. This could push the other cards to the side so they are still visible and recognizable while letting us have a better view of an individual card. This obviously relies on the card being a higher quality so we can read it but most tend to be.

I've debated on how to implement this. The more immersive option is to have the on-table hand as is, and a selection area/trigger just behind it that allows you to then pick up said hand and have it attached to and fanned out on your in-game controller. Alternatively you'd pick up cards and only when passing them from the holding hand, holding the object with the trigger, to the receiving hand, not holding any buttons, would it snap into the static controller hand (instead of just being held by one hand like a single normal item and passed to the other where it can be dropped upon releasing the trigger). Obviously you'd then use your other hand to pick the cards out and place them either on the table, into the table hand, or reorganize them within your controller hand like one normally would IRL. If you wanted something a bit more simple and convenience oriented though (in the vein of the auto-dealing functions that are already in TTS) you'd simply have a "summon hand" option that would fly it from the table to your controller and back again on a second press. Placing cards would then happen by radially selecting the cards with the touchpad like a deck search and then placing them with the same hand with a press of a button on the controller.
    Lemon curry?

I've debated on how to implement this. The more immersive option is to have the on-table hand as is, and a selection area/trigger just behind it that allows you to then pick up said hand and have it attached to and fanned out on your in-game controller. Alternatively you'd pick up cards and only when passing them from the holding hand, holding the object with the trigger, to the receiving hand, not holding any buttons, would it snap into the static controller hand (instead of just being held by one hand like a single normal item and passed to the other where it can be dropped upon releasing the trigger). Obviously you'd then use your other hand to pick the cards out and place them either on the table, into the table hand, or reorganize them within your controller hand like one normally would IRL.
    you've pretty much described the mechanic I'd like to see implemented a holding hand you load up with cards with the other hand used for grabbing and placing and such like.

If you've seen it the VR game "budget cuts" it has a set up that's pretty much ideal for this sort of thing..

and cards is really just the start why not have the same mechanic to turn one controller to a bag with the contents represented in 3D on one of the hands in a similar manner....possibilities are huge

Edit: Adding a quick video of the Budget cuts holding action to better illustrate the idea.

Obviously for cards you need to ensure they follow the Hidden hands rule when you pick them up and hold them.
    Also it would be sensible for the player to be able to pick up whole hands and even decks with a single grab as well as the one at a time action shown here.....quite like the ability to change the "head" of the controller that's also briefly seen here as it would allow more action specific functions during the game ...
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 06-04-2016 at 01:41 PM.