Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabletop Simulator hangs on startup when launched in VR mode.

As of the current SteamVR beta, the issue is still happening. I've PM'ed you a link to the system report.

Okay hello guys, I've did a google search and found absolutely nothing to help me with this. Found this thread, still not much going on. Had a quick look around the files and found a solution.

So, in the TTS directory in steam. "\Steam\steamapps\common\Tabletop Simulator".
    There is a shortcut, "Tabletop Simulator VR".
    Now this shortcuts target was absolute nonsense for me.
    I Clicked on the properties and the Target was something like "C:\Tabletop Simulator - unity5\blah blah blah\Tabletop Simulator.exe" -force-d3d11 -vr.
    It's completely wrong instantly because my games are all installed on my D drive. In the target location, it mentions nothing about steam either.
    The Start in line is mostly the same.
    Basically just change that to where your game is installed.
    For me it looks like this;
    Target: "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Tabletop Simulator\Tabletop Simulator.exe" -force-d3d11 -vr
    Start in: "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Tabletop Simulator"
    Hey presto, it now works.

I tried to just add in the -force-d3d11 -vr to the steam properties - set launch options and it didn't work, before anyone tries.

Why did this happen to me? Devs?

EDIT:
    Okay, it looks like it only runs while A) Steam VR isn't running first. B) From that VR shortcut.
    Last edited by FlibbertyJibbit; 07-09-2016 at 02:43 PM.

^^^ This worked for me! Thanks so much!

For the people affects by this bug you can send your "vrclient_Tabletop Simulator.txt" to BerserkGames@gmail.com which can be found in "Program Files (x86)\Steam\logs" folder. Thanks!

It's a little more complicated than that.

With the linked folders workaround, the log can be found in Program Files\Steam\logs, but with that workaround it's not affected by the bug, so there's nothing to see in the log.

Without the workaround, there is no log file in Program Files\Steam\logs because the log ends up in the wrong directory (which is what the workaround tries to fix)

So, I'm posting the contents of vrclient_Tabletop Simulator.txt from my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\logs directory instead.

Code:
    Thu Jul 07 16:56:24 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Thu Jul 07 16:56:24 2016 UTC - PID 17248 connection attempt 1...
    Thu Jul 07 17:02:34 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Thu Jul 07 17:02:34 2016 UTC - PID 13316 connection attempt 1...
    Thu Jul 07 18:05:20 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Thu Jul 07 18:05:20 2016 UTC - PID 5372 connection attempt 1...
    Thu Jul 07 18:14:29 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Thu Jul 07 18:14:29 2016 UTC - PID 16732 connection attempt 1...
    Fri Jul 08 02:54:56 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Fri Jul 08 02:54:56 2016 UTC - PID 3484 connection attempt 1...
    Fri Jul 08 03:02:20 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Fri Jul 08 03:02:20 2016 UTC - PID 17132 connection attempt 1...
    Tue Jul 12 17:18:14 2016 UTC - vrclient startup with config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\vr\runtime\config
    Tue Jul 12 17:18:14 2016 UTC - PID 16104 connection attempt 1...
    I think there's been some dancing around the issue, but I'm going to address it directly: I do not think this is a bug with steam. I think this is a bug in TTS. It's clearly accessing a directory that no other VR game is trying to access, and it's a problem that no other VR game has. I think that the 'default vr directory' changed in the SteamVR beta, and when the beta went live, it affected more people. Somewhere TTS is hardcoded to access /vr/runtime/config when it should be getting %vr_root%/config or something.

The people that aren't having this issue likely have a bunch of extra config files left over in the old /vr/runtime folder. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a clean installation of steam with a clean installation of TTS is going to have this bug.

Unfortunately I don't set the directory for the this, I'm using the Unity SteamVR plugin which handles all of that. Also on a fresh OS and Steam install the VR mode works perfectly fine on my machine. I don't even have the "Steam\vr\runtime" folder on my machine.

That is actually insightful.

Turns out, you don't need to set a symlink from the /vr/runtime folder to the steamroot, if you just rename/delete the /vr/runtime folder outright, it also fixes the bug and TTS starts right up.

So whatever is looking for the right config file is looking in /vr/runtime first and checking steamroot later.

What might be happening is if TTS or some other game is running while the SteamVR beta is updating/switching, it can't properly delete the /vr/runtime folder because some game's vrclient log file is open.

Quote Originally Posted by grant10k View Post
    That is actually insightful.

Turns out, you don't need to set a symlink from the /vr/runtime folder to the steamroot, if you just rename/delete the /vr/runtime folder outright, it also fixes the bug and TTS starts right up.

So whatever is looking for the right config file is looking in /vr/runtime first and checking steamroot later.

What might be happening is if TTS or some other game is running while the SteamVR beta is updating/switching, it can't properly delete the /vr/runtime folder because some game's vrclient log file is open.
    Awesome thanks I'll pass this along to Valve hopefully they can fix this up soon for everyone. Awesome troubleshooting for us

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    Awesome thanks I'll pass this along to Valve hopefully they can fix this up soon for everyone. Awesome troubleshooting for us
    Sounds like Valve simply needs to delete that directory in an update.

That's what I passed along to them, haha, we shall see what they end up doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12