Thread: Immobilised objects now lift others about regardless of whether can be moved itself

Immobilised objects now lift others about regardless of whether can be moved itself

This appears to be a bug introduced fairly recently (it's difficult to imagine how a bug so striking could have escaped notice for long):
    If an object is immobilised by Joint, or otherwise unable to move due to being weighted down in some way;
    If the object is toggled to Sticky: When the user attempts to lift that object then any others sitting on top of it will all be simultaneously lifted instead.
    If it is not toggled to Sticky: Then they will fall through it.

In other words, it is as though the immobile object had in fact been lifted anyway, either carrying away the objects on top of it or letting them fall through in the normal way.

This renders, for example, the use of immobilised boards liable to be frustrating, since a player clicking on the wrong area could find themselves scooping up every single game asset in play all at once - though it is liable to be confounding in many different cases.

Reproduction: Put an object (2) on top of another (1).
    Joint (1) to a locked third object (3).
    Attempt to pick up (1).
    (2) will be picked up instead (if (1) is Sticky) or will fall through (if (1) is not Sticky).

New information:

I've discovered that, in fact, toggling off Stick for the immobilised object DOES workaround the problem. Although it had appeared to me that it merely meant the objects sitting on top merely fell through the main one, it seems I was thrown off by other settings I'd been playing around with (setting mass to 0).

Therefore there is a workaround for the bug to be recommended.

Thought I'd add to this as I believe its related to the recently reported issue with the Battle for Souls Double Dials.

http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...-the-dial-work

The lower dial is being pulled through the top locked section when you grab and try to rotate it . I've striped the double dial down to just its colliders in this vid so you can see this happen more clearly.

Turning off the AutoRaise toggle for the bottom most dial is a Workable fix but the way the dials then move and interact isn't quite right. So could probably do with being looked at.

I cant be entirely certain but I feel this and Cluny's observations might have a similar root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Thought I'd add to this as I believe its related to the recently reported issue with the Battle for Souls Double Dials.

The lower dial is being pulled through the top locked section when you grab and try to rotate it . I've striped the double dial down to just its colliders in this vid so you can see this happen more clearly.

Turning off the AutoRaise toggle for the bottom most dial is a Workable fix but the way the dials then move and interact isn't quite right. So could probably do with being looked at.

I cant be entirely certain but I feel this and Cluny's observations might have a similar root cause.
    That's quite the weird bug any idea around which patch it started occurring?

Honestly...no idea I'm afraid it was only brought to my attention recently

here.

I do recall checking over all the DLC's after the jump to Unity5 just in case any of the joints had been effected adversely by the move....and it all seemed to work fine then..

Its not the narrowest of Window to focus on....But I'd tend to think it was one of the more recent ones or this would have been reported sooner as it pretty much makes these dials unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Honestly...no idea I'm afraid it was only brought to my attention recently

here.

I do recall checking over all the DLC's after the jump to Unity5 just in case any of the joints had been effected adversely by the move....and it all seemed to work fine then..

Its not the narrowest of Window to focus on....But I'd tend to think it was one of the more recent ones or this would have been reported sooner as it pretty much makes these dials unusable.
    Thanks I'll shall figure it out soon hopefully!

Looks like The problem with the dials has been fixed during one of the last two updates but the issue Cluny originally raised is still present

So it now seems these two bugs were not in fact related by the same root cause.

Hmm I followed his steps and it worked fine when it's sticky for me. Obviously without sticky on the object will fall through (that's intended), but after a couple tries of following his instructions, it worked for me each time.

So let me know if I'm missing something here Glad the dials thing is working again though. Thanks.

I've checked again and the problem is definitely still there - try to pick up the immobilised object underneath and every single object sitting on top of it will be picked up at once instead.