Thread: Preventing user from picking up other user's objects

Preventing user from picking up other user's objects

Hello - I have created a script that tags objects to certain players and prevents other players from picking those objects up. I do this by locking the object during the objectPickedUp event if the owner doesn't match the holder, and moving that item back to its last dropped position. However, as soon as I unlock the item, the item will zip back over to whoever was trying to touch it (I suspect this is a bug in Tabletop Simulator, but it might be a 'feature' too). I've tried setting interactable to false, locking, moving, etc., but all to no avail. Short of destructing and recreating the item, I'm kind of at a loss. Destructing and recreating is okay for one or two items concurrently, but what will often happen is that someone rage quits and selects every item on the board and tosses it. Cloning every item on the board... probably won't end well. Is there a better way to force a player to drop an item, or to prevent a player from picking up something that they don't own? Thanks!

It would be nice if the onPickedUp function allowed a true/false return value. Allow the pick-up action for no return value or true is returned, force the object to be put back at origin and released from holding if false returned.

Not a bad idea. The only way I've come up to prevent this kind of thing is to destroy the object in the person's hand and duplicate it. A messy solution to say the lease

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    The only way I've come up to prevent this kind of thing is to destroy the object in the person's hand and duplicate it. A messy solution to say the lease
    Agreed, on method and how ugly that method is - but it is the *only* way to do it right now.