Thread: Need fix for picking multiple cards off the top of decks

Need fix for picking multiple cards off the top of decks

Process: Create a new deck, search it and take a note of the first ten cards. Close the search window, then try to pick up ten cards by dragging the top card, then picking up cards by successive rightclicking

Result: The resulting pile often does not have ten cards, and do not stack in the right order.

I hypothesize that this is because the cards are picked up as individual objects with problem-causing physics interactions. It may perhaps be better if the behavior when picking up cards this way is to automatically merge them into a deck within your hand.

Hover the pointer over the deck, and type "10". It will take the top 10 cards, and put them into your hand, in order. The main reason you see a randomness in the order, when you pick them up by repeatedly right-clicking, is because the right-clicking action is actually a shuffle action. You'll see this a lot clearer, if you pick up the whole deck, and repeatedly right-click - if you do it fast enough, you end up shuffling the deck. So picking them up by right-clicking over the deck will, by design, shuffle the order.

Oh I know about the drawing thing. Problem is that I want to take 10 cards off the top of the deck without changing their order or looking at them.

I think your only real solution then is to take them one by one.

Want a script to do it, Spheniscine? It'd be a quick and easy one to write.

I think your only real solution then is to take them one by one.
    Yeah I thought so but it's really annoying especially when you want other people to reliably do it, as the best way to keep them in order without making a mess everywhere is to first deal the ten cards one by one to a new pile, then reverse their order by dealing from that pile into another new pile. It's rather time consuming, in comparison to just counting out ten cards IRL. Really it all comes back to wanting arbitrary-number cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    Want a script to do it, Spheniscine? It'd be a quick and easy one to write.
    Sure.

Ok, here ya go. There are 3 variables that you can edit at the top of the script to change where the cards are placed, if they get pulled out into a stack or into a row, and how many to pull.

Its a simple enough tool, but I got to fiddle with a concept I've had in mind for a while (locating a deck by its relative position to something else). Anyway, hope it helps.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=764915159

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    Hover the pointer over the deck, and type "10". It will take the top 10 cards, and put them into your hand, in order. The main reason you see a randomness in the order, when you pick them up by repeatedly right-clicking, is because the right-clicking action is actually a shuffle action. You'll see this a lot clearer, if you pick up the whole deck, and repeatedly right-click - if you do it fast enough, you end up shuffling the deck. So picking them up by right-clicking over the deck will, by design, shuffle the order.
    Um, that's not true. Shuffling happens when a deck is shaken; repeatedly pressing right click while holding a deck imitates this behaviour.
    Seems to be working in v8.0 now anyhow. The picked up cards when placed on a table don't automatically merge into a deck like before.

EDIT: Also, to pick up 10 cards you pick up the 1st card and then right click on the top of the deck 9 times. Then move the stack to the side and drop. This should form a non-deck pile of cards in the right order.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-19-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Also, to pick up 10 cards you pick up the 1st card and then right click on the top of the deck 9 times. Then move the stack to the side and drop. This should form a non-deck pile of cards in the right order.
    Nope, in fact this is the issue I was referring to. The cards, are, in fact, not in the correct order if you do this.

I think it has more to do with the cards clipping into eachother and them merging out of order because of it.

For instance, if a script puts multiple cards on top of eachother, but not enough height offset, you can end up with out-of-order draws. A put function would make life a lot easier, scripting wise. But not sure how this could be fixed phyusically

Quote Originally Posted by Spheniscine View Post
    Nope, in fact this is the issue I was referring to. The cards, are, in fact, not in the correct order if you do this.
    It was in the right order when I did it?

I don't know what to tell you, Mark. To me, if I pick up several cards at once that way, the cards are kinda loosely held together and collide with each other.