Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to create AssetBundle

Trying to create AssetBundle

I installed unity, made a model, and attempted to follow the instructions in the Knowledge Base. However, in the most current version of Unity, there is no "Build Assetbundles" to click to create a file with the unity3d extension. Using the other export that is available gives me a unitypackage extension, which TTS will not read. Have I incorrectly created my asset or what?

Do I have to figure out a way to use an older version of Unity? Here is a screenshot, showing the missing "Build Assetbundles" from the bottom.

http://screencast.com/t/wDjdI3xH4j

You need to use the Unity project that we provide. Make sure to read the start of the assetbundle page.

Hey MrStump

what you need to do is move the contents of the folder you downloaded from Github into the asset folder in the Project pane as it contains not just example assets but the necessary scripts to enable you to create your Assetbundels for TTS

EDIT:Ninja'd

Thank you. I couldn't figure out how to use the Github, and I didn't realize what the scripts were for. Thank you!

Well, now i have a new problem. Following the guide and the animated images, I am able to create a 3d object, attach a material to it, create a prefab for it, name the prefab then export and load it into TTS. Except the material isn't showing up. http://screencast.com/t/PtQVO2VuJC

I've checked, and I am having the same issue with the prefabs that were included as examples. If I export them, they also only show up as shadows. Here's the material settings on the object: http://screencast.com/t/1GsiDssSd and the other settings http://screencast.com/t/8l8Hrtx7L1 . I don't seem to be able to sort this one out either. I am betting it has to do with my lack of experience in Unity.

I've just exported the Zombie to an asset bundle and it appears in game with material and texture. I guess, you must be missing a step.

Are you using Unity 5.3.4?

No, 5.4.1

Try using that version.

Giving it a try, but now I've run into exciting new problems. I can't get it to compile a unity3d at all. It is throwing an error I am failing to correct. Stating that it is not supported in this build (5.3.4f1)

Here's a video of me trying and the error at the end. http://screencast.com/t/N4BBLLOm . I know it is me, obviously. Other people are managing it with little to no effort, I just can't figure out where I am going wrong.

@MrStump
    Try opening the File menu on top, then Build Settings, then choose PC, Mac & Linux Standalone and Switch Platform. Then repeat what you did on the video.

I think that will do it, thank you. Turns out I was missing the bundle required for PC standalone builds. Not sure how I managed that, but I am expecting smooth sailing. Fingers crossed.

Yep, that was my issue. Thanks again for all your help getting me going in Unity.

If anyone is interested, this is what I made: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=766028961

Looking good! Glad to see everything is working

That's Great

Once you've got the hang of the process its a fairly straightforward to produce some fantastic results.

Really looking forward to seeing what the community starts putting out now we have access to pretty much the full Unity5 toolkit.

Very nicely done MrStump

@MrStump. Looks great!

After a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth, I too got the unity modder up and running. My problem too was the unity version. Had latest...
    But did I run into small problems with initial testing.
    How do I make my objects non-convex? Is it even possible with an asset bundle?
    Also my clever trick with the one sided faces seem not to work in assets?

Comparison between same object as custom object (works) and Asset bundle(not working): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rsz61xopa...pture.JPG?dl=0

How do I make my objects non-convex? Is it even possible with an asset bundle?
    your going to have to add a mesh collider to your object mesh in the inspector panel.

Use the add component function at the bottom. When its added by default its set to Non-Convex so you will have to set the checkbox in this new frame if you want it otherwise.

Couple of things to remember.

If your model is very complex your better off recreating it in a more basic form and using that as the collider (it defaults to using the objects mesh otherwise)

If the object needs to retain its non-convex shape and move you will need to take it a step further and break up the collider into convex parts and create a compound collider to follow the shape of your object.

As to not being able to see through one side like you'd used to ....assuming your only using a single sided normal to do this I'd check to see if you've got Back-face culling on or off first.

Oukkey, that solved that.
    Thank you very much Lucky Seven!

My test ended with some really weird collision results when not locked. When locked the tray works nicely.
    How about copying and resizing assetbundles in TTS?
    Copying does nothing at the moment.
    Resizing resizes meshes, but not effects...
    Or have I done my assets wrong somehow?
    Pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnxg557ql1...ture2.JPG?dl=0

Unity doesn't scale effects based on the scale of the object. It might be something that I can manually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumba View Post
    Oukkey, that solved that.
    Thank you very much Lucky Seven!

My test ended with some really weird collision results when not locked. When locked the tray works nicely.
    How about copying and resizing assetbundles in TTS?
    Copying does nothing at the moment.
    Resizing resizes meshes, but not effects...
    Or have I done my assets wrong somehow?
    Pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnxg557ql1...ture2.JPG?dl=0

I'd wager you used a mesh collider for your object. Unity5 does not support non-convex colliders (which your mesh collider most likely is ) for dynamic (moving) objects but its fine with Non-convex colliders on Static (locked down) objects. which sounds like what you're describing.

if you need to move your object whilst keeping its non-convex ability you'll need to replace the single mesh collider with a number of separate Box,sphere, capsule..etx colliders that when taken together approximate the shape your after.

As to copy paste issues.. they should work fine for objects and particle effects like I see your using so you might have messed up there somehow I'm afraid.

My "Object" consists of several parts. So I guess it consists of several objects. Each has a identical mesh set as non convex collider. The dicetray is intended to be locked when used so this is ok. I'm just baffled that when not locked there are collisions detected a good deal outside the mesh. Almost like the collider-mesh for the tray part is somehow 50% displaced. I will scratch my head on it today evening. I'm a total n00bie in Unity so I probably messed up a lot.

I have one major problem with particles. If I add a particle effect directly to an object, the effect will appear above the object and there seems not to be any way of moving it without moving the object. I can bypass this by creating a "free" particle effect and then place it under the object in the hierarchy tree. The bypass seems a bit cheesy and maybe it is the problem with copying. Another effect of the bypass seems to be that when rotating the asset in TTS the effect will not rotate, but stays same no matter what direction the asset faces.

Is there a good way to have a "flat" particle effect that just happens on one plan on the surface of the object?
    I'll accept, "Search youtube" as an answer.

Each has a identical mesh set as non convex collider
    Except there Not supposed to be Non-convex, each of the Colliders you've made should be Convex in shape and set to Convex in the collider menu. Unity is not regarding them as a single Non-Convex object.. merely a group of convex colliders placed next to each other...so its treating each one individually rather than the group collectively for collision purposes.

I have one major problem with particles.
    If your talking about creating an empty game object to put your particle effect in, moving it to the correct position then putting it in the main objects hierarchy then that a perfectly fine thing to do. This Way you can re-use the same particle effect on lots of different objects without the need to recreate it for every object you want to add it too

Is there a good way to have a "flat" particle effect that just happens on one plan on the surface of the object?
    You want to alter the Shape parameter within the particle system.

Find the Shape line in the Particle your working with expand that line to access its options, then change it from its present shape to say....circle (mess around with them till you find the one you like) and adjust this new shapes orientation in the Scene window till its emitting in the correct direction for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Except there Not supposed to be Non-convex
    Ok, will check that.

If your talking about creating an empty game object...
    Exactly. Good to hear that is an ok way of doing it. Was just worried that the rotation/scale problem I encountered in TTS was because of this...
    Knil already answered to the scale issue (Thanks Knil!) but could it be that the rotation problem is something TTS could fix too?

You want to alter the Shape parameter within the particle system.
    Find the Shape line in the Particle your working with expand that line to access its options, then change it from its present shape to say....circle
    Done exactly that. Showing 4x4 tileset particles in a circle and rotating. Result seems to be that the effect is shown as 4 distinct "layers" with some space between them.
    But as you suggested, I will do some additional testing.

Thanks everybody. Will do some testing in the evening and let you know how it went.
    T:T

1. Changed the the collision mesh to one instead of several. Using one non convex mesh (it's ok that it works only when locked). All anomalies from using several non convex meshes are gone. Strange finding: When adding the mesh to the top item of hierarchy, the mesh appears and functions as around 50% smaller than it is. When applying it to one of the underlying objects it's size is normal. Mysterious... But fixed bu using one of the underlaying objects.

2. Rotating is still a problem. Also extreme zooming...

3. Tweaked particle effects. Now flat. Didn't originally use empty object to hold particle effect. So could not rotate the particle source. Fixed.

4. Strange problems with mesh sizes in Unity. I already mentioned the top level collider-mesh strangeness. Also trying to use a mesh as a particle emitter, results in the mesh appearing different size as it actually is... Will investigate further...

Quick video of how the Asset behaves in TTS if someone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFY...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast