Thread: About Spirits of the Rice Paddy

About Spirits of the Rice Paddy

We have partnered with Ape Games once again to bring their game Spirits of the Rice Paddy to Tabletop Simulator as DLC, which was released on Steam on October 7, 2016.

2-4 Players | 13+

~Approximately 90 minutes

Ancient Balinese legend describes a host of powerful spirits who help poor rice farmers achieve success. These farmers have long used a sophisticated irrigation system to organize rice cultivation by integrating religious devotion and social responsibility with traditional farming methods. Even modern farmers seek to placate the spirit world in their quest to produce an abundant harvest.

In Spirits of the Rice Paddy, players must compete with fellow rice farmers to construct and tend rice paddies. Oxen can build walls and remove large rocks. Ducks can be employed to eat harmful pests and fertilize the fledgling crops. Weeds must be kept at bay. And, most importantly, water must be conserved and released with the greatest of care.

With a little luck, all that back-breaking labor will pay off in the end. The good news is that the spirits are eager to assist, granting many special abilities, blessings and magic. The farmer who produces the most rice over seven rounds wins the game.

NOTE:
    Only the host needs to own the DLC for everyone to play.

IMPORTANT:
    Everyone must own Tabletop Simulator in order to play Spirits of the Rice Paddy.

Hosted a couple of games of this. I have to admit it's far more interesting than I thought it would be. Nice find.

A review to that effect on the Steam Store page wouldn't be unhelpful, I think, since at present the DLC has received only one review and that a negative one, meaning that at the moment when people go to the link they're seeing the dreaded "red Negative" for "User reviews: OVERALL:"

I might just have to put a review up. For now I will say this in case the devs take a look:

While I love the game itself (it's surprisingly compelling) I have major issues with the actual mod. I love the work the devs put into making the 3d rooms and making the table look interesting with the unique assets, this table feels like it was designed much more about aesthetics than it was for actual gameplay. The board used for putting your spirit cards on is pretty cool and it makes it easy to see spirits side by side, but it's so hard to actually use because it's FAR too steep. The assets you commonly use (walls, gates, weeds, fertalizer, etc) are too far away from any player to be useful without zooming in and out constantly, they should have been much more centralized. While I think it was this way in the physical game, the water tokens are really just too big to use without being far too fiddly on the game boards. In real life I imagine you could easily pick up the objects, but removing and adding water to a hex when you've got a plant, weeds, pests, etc is just a bit hard to do in a virtual space like TTS. If the water itself was only partial sized so you could just place it in the hex NEXT to everything, it might be more useful.

Other mods have some usability issues as well such as Scythe, but those are easily overcome by copying resources around the table with minor work. This one takes quite a bit of moving around to make it feel usable. Certainly I have some major issues with the mod, but the game itself was fun to play. Hopefully the TTS devs will take some of this to heart for either this or future DLC updates. In the meantime, I think I'm going to attempt to make my own changes and upload my own version to the workshop (which will still require the DLC of course).