Thread: Request: A State of the Union

Lightbulb Request: A State of the Union

I thought it would be nice if there was a "State of the Union" post regarding the near and future development goals for TTS.

Let me begin by saying that I appreciate that game development is not a set thing, and that today's goals may not make sense in a few weeks time. But at the same time, the community has been polled for their opinions on features, ideas etc (not to mention our ability to generate them unsolicited haha) and I think it would be nice to know, even if it is only in a vague sense, what (beyond UI improvements) is in the future? Is there a version of TTS that would be considered "complete" where feature improvements would slow down or stop? What sort of features would that have at that point? I'm not looking for a promise of future features, but a disclaimer filled list of possibilities for where else TTS might be headed.

I, for one, am very happy with the way TTS has continued to develop and, if we're all lucky, it will continue to evolve in the way it has. But that doesn't mean I'm not very curious about what is going on in the mind of our developers and on the future of TTS. If we could get a short write-up to give us a bit of insight as to where we're all headed, I think the community would enjoy that. As being a member of that community, the least I can say is that I would enjoy it quite a bit.

Thanks

Whilst its not comprehensive by any means have you seen the Planned feature section of the Knowledge base ?

http://berserk-games.com/knowledgeba...nned-features/

I have, but thank you for pointing it out Lucky! But the community has been polled a few times about scripting specific and general features they would like to see too. So I'm not sure if the scope of planned features was going to encompass some of those changes, if updates to tools or systems were planned, etc.

We're not exactly left in the dark, but there is also a lot about the development roadmap that is a mystery.

Once Tabletop Simulator released out of Early Access, that was technically released and complete. However, we'll never be satisfied since it's a platform with so many possibilities and we're always looking for ways to improve on it. It's really hard to give you any info, because it's just the two of us working on this. We are in the process of opening up our studio out in Austin, TX and we're looking to hire a few programmers to get more cool stuff added in (and fix some broken stuff like the Tablet for Mac/Linux users). Once we have a little bit bigger team and can plan out some goals, then we might be able to give more info, but being such a small team, it's really hard to focus on one thing and to promise things as well, because things can change, etc. That's why in our Newsletter and Scoops (which haven't really had a need for lately), I try to give some updates of stuff that we definitely want to work on.

So the UI improvements is a definite, but most importantly is having more control of your games and how they will show up in the menu, etc. So we'll be doing away with the old crappy stuff and make something that is a big more modern that fits our current theme, but easier to look at - especially for Workshop mods, and Saves.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the response. I appreciate that it is very much a "finished" game that you continue work on to grow. I'm glad to hear you guys are expanding, too. Thanks for the heads up about where you are. I'll stay subscribed to the Newsletter for more info.

No problem, thanks for your support!