Thread: G'Day Tragic Here....

Wink G'Day Tragic Here....

G'Day...

Been keeping an eye on TableTop Simulator for a while now, and thought I would try it out as it was on sale this week 2 Steam. So far I am pretty impressed and just wanted to drop in and say hi and that I dg what you guys are doing here.

I have made a number of popular plugins for LackeyCCG, OCTGN, Battlegrounds and Vassel so I expect to be doing the same in here... I have a few questions...

What is the etiquette on taking "parts" from other peoples mods. Some mods have nice tables, or cool extra things, while other mods might have better cards... using the "save to chest" function I can poach these and compile my own version of a mod using those parts. is that ok for me to do.. it seams silly to rebuild everything from scratch.

Also I noticed that there is a lot of mods using public image hosting sites, going though some of the older mods it is clear that many images get deleted off these public servers. I'll probably want to make my own "copies" of the mods I like and host them on my own DropBox where I am sure the files are safe. I know I can take some stuff from a mod by saving into my chest, but how do i redirect the file links to a different location.

Anyway, that is about all my questions for now.. I'll probably find a lot more.

One of the reasons I bought this app is that I wish to start getting more serious about game design, and thought it would be a great way to Prototype and possible get playtesting from random gamers.

Anyway, thanks a ton for a great app and any advise you can give me or comprehensive tutorials I could read / watch (in addition to the official ones I have already watched).

Have fun and ROLL HIGH
    --Tragic
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables

Hey Tragic, Welcome to the community

To answer some of your questions.

What is the etiquette on taking "parts" from other peoples mods. Some mods have nice tables, or cool extra things, while other mods might have better cards... using the "save to chest" function I can poach these and compile my own version of a mod using those parts. is that ok for me to do.. it seams silly to rebuild everything from scratch.
    This will vary a little depending on the mod author. But generally if your going to use someone else's material you should at least give credit in the Notes of your Mod when you come to put it up and ideally its polite to leave a message on the page of the mod your borrowing from asking if its cool to use some of its elements.

99 times out of a 100 you'll get a thumbs up from the modder and your much less likely to have some disgruntled creator change the links to the items you've used just to teach you a lesson in etiquette

Unsurprisingly the only big No-No is taking someone else's stuff and passing it off as your own

Also I noticed that there is a lot of mods using public image hosting sites, going though some of the older mods it is clear that many images get deleted off these public servers. I'll probably want to make my own "copies" of the mods I like and host them on my own DropBox where I am sure the files are safe. I know I can take some stuff from a mod by saving into my chest, but how do i redirect the file links to a different location.
    Couple of things to address here.

First, TTS now comes with some Steam Cloud storage which you can access directly through the games interface and Whilst its nowhere near as large as what you have available with the likes of a Dropbox account, its more than big enough for an average modder to host there content from. . . which you might find useful .

As to redirecting Links. . . Honestly I don't know what there is in the way of an automatic method to do this short of opening the .JSON save file and running a Find and Replace search command for each of the elements you want to re-host, as is something I've personally never done.
    But as long as you've got mod cache'ing on in the Games settings any object you've fully spawned onto your table from any mod will now be stored locally on your computer in its Mod Folder and will become the first port of call your game looks to the next time you load up that mod. Its only if it can't find the data there will it fall back to the Mods external links. So once you've downloaded a mod and looked at it you'll have the content at your disposal even if the Modder subsequently take it down . . .which is something to bare in mind if you chose to upload any original content to the workshop as once its out there its out there for ever .

Hope that Was of some help

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    As to redirecting Links. . . Honestly I don't know what there is in the way of an automatic method to do this short of opening the .JSON save file and running a Find and Replace search command for each of the elements you want to re-host, as is something I've personally never done.
    That's how I've done it, personally, using the mod backup tool to retrieve the original images. There's a new tool called TTS Easy Manager that might make some of these things a bit easier, but I personally haven't had the chance to play around with it:

http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/...S-Easy-Manager

4. Modify any asset url location inside a loaded mod