Thread: Changing Local Image Links to Hosted?

Changing Local Image Links to Hosted?

So I've been working on my first boardgame port (Barbarian Prince) into Tabletop Simulator for, oh, about 18 hours straight now (I got on a roll, what can I say?) Anyhow, I finished everything to my liking, was considering sharing it on Steam Workshop, and then realised... Steam Workshop doesn't actually host the images, does it? - I don't think so anyhow. So I guess we would still need to host our images elsewhere. Fine. But I painstakingly assembled dozens of counters using square cards with images hosted locally, and I cringe at the thought of doing all of that over again after reimporting the same decks using hosted links. Is there ANY way I can manually edit the save file and change the links there or am I stuffed? I opened up my save file in Notepad++ and some of the links look human-readable, but loads of the save file looks like machine code gibberish, so I don't want to mess up the file by tooling around when I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Thanks,
    jTenebrous

Have you tried the deck building tool combine all individual cards on a spreadsheet? I would put them up on Imgur. I would love to play this game and I have played almost all their games! Their is a problem with uploading it to workshop though, Copyright. The makers "Dwarfstar" put up a "Distribution Agreement" so they will most likely take it down (like Tailsmen ). Ask permission first before uploading to workshop! That doesn't mean you can't make it for your self though and sharing it with your friends so I don't think they will know, unless they work for Reaper Miniatures.

I wanted to do Star Viking, but i remembered seeing this:

Any sort of scripting language that can read and change the content of files can do it. I personally use PHP but that's because it's what I know. If you are going to try it, keep in mind that the character immediately before the URL contains the decimal value for length of the string. So if you have currently say: file:///c:somelocationfile.jpg the character before that would be chr(33) or in this instance, an exclamation mark (!). If you were to change the string, you'd need to include the character for the new string too. A typical Imgur string (http://i.imgur.com/81nJaG2.jpg) is 30 characters long.

madmon121 said

Have you tried the deck building tool combine all individual cards on a spreadsheet? I would put them up on Imgur. I would love to play this game and I have played almost all their games! Their is a problem with uploading it to workshop though, Copyright. The makers "Dwarfstar" put up a "Distribution Agreement" so they will most likely take it down (like Tailsmen ). Ask permission first before uploading to workshop! That doesn't mean you can't make it for your self though and sharing it with your friends so I don't think they will know, unless they work for Reaper Miniatures.

I wanted to do Star Viking, but i remembered seeing this:

[Image]

Thanks for your response. I have indeed combined all of the cards into 3 decks: Items, Locations, and Followers. Though, I did not use the deck building tool (for square cards, I find that using a square grid w/ snap enabled in PS does a fab job). Now, I did see that distribution agreement, and read it a number of times - the way it reads to me is that Reaper grants permission to distribute digitized copies of the game, providing that it's not done for commercial gain, and that a copy of the distribution agreement is posted conspicuously with the distributed files. In the case of the Steam Workshop page I set up for it (still set to private), I have included an attributions section with copyright information, designers, re-designers, etc. and a link to the Distribution Agreement, as well as posted the .jpg image of the Distribution Agreement as the first image in the Workshop Gallery for this module. Is there any reason you can think of why this would contravene the Distribution Agreement? - it seems like it should be ok to me after multiple read-throughs, but I definitely want to be on the safe side.

Karmond said

Any sort of scripting language that can read and change the content of files can do it. I personally use PHP but that's because it's what I know. If you are going to try it, keep in mind that the character immediately before the URL contains the decimal value for length of the string. So if you have currently say: file:///c:somelocationfile.jpg the character before that would be chr(33) or in this instance, an exclamation mark (!). If you were to change the string, you'd need to include the character for the new string too. A typical Imgur string (http://i.imgur.com/81nJaG2.jpg) is 30 characters long.

Thanks for the info! Will give that a try.
    *Edit* Try as I might, I'm having no luck. I can't see most of the file in any viewer I've tried and can't see the decimal values you mentioned, etc. This is not my field of expertise, unfortunately - can you recommend a program which would be useful in making these edits?

madmon121 said
    I would love to play this game and I have played almost all their games!...

Well, potentially good news then. I have written lengthy letters now to the Dwarfstar Games website maintainer (BoardgameGeek User: The Maverick) as well as the BP2 fan re-design creator (BoardgameGeek User: dumarest123) explaining my project in detail, what I am asking for permission to do, and including screenshots of the completed module. For now, I'll just sit back and wait for a response - hopefully positive! If all goes to plan, I'll be able to share the module soon - fingers crossed!

I hope they say you can put it up! I would be so happy . when I put something up on the workshop I always worried about copyright! I just want to let you know there is an agreement for these games. Also could make all of their games if you get the permission? My friend had all theses games, but hes out of state so I cant scan his games and I don't have permission obviously .

jTenebrous said
    *Edit* Try as I might, I'm having no luck. I can't see most of the file in any viewer I've tried and can't see the decimal values you mentioned, etc. This is not my field of expertise, unfortunately - can you recommend a program which would be useful in making these edits?

You're going to need a script to do it most likely or maybe something like a hex editor (I haven't tried with one).

The DEC values I'm talking about are these.

Thanks Karmond. I ended up going back to the beginning and rebuilding the save file from scratch with only hosted links this time - hopefully in the future it'll be easier to change files from local to hosted for the people making them. But for now, I guess I've learned my lesson.

Hey Madmon - I received an interesting reply from Reaper today regarding my request for approval of placing a TTS module for Barbarian Prince on Steam workshop. Unfortunately, they declined, but their reasoning was that they're going to develop the title internally. There was no further explanation, so who knows what they've got planned? In all my years as a Reaper customer, I've never seen them develop a traditional boardgame, nor a digital one (minis and mini-based tabletop gaming products and hobby accessories only)... so, I guess this raises more questions than it answers. But one answer is certain for now - no Steam Workshop distribution of this particular free, currently out-of-print, 30+ year old game. Curious, eh? My guess is that if I were to ask about adapting Star Viking or its brethren, I might get a similar answer. Hey-ho... you can still make your own personal version out of assets from the Dwarfstar website or boardgamegeek. Since they're solitaire games, it doesn't really matter. Still, a bit of a shame I can't share my little project.

Man that sucks! I could imagine if they were still actually making money off the game (Highly doubt it) they would say no, but its old as hell and no one cares to buy it anyway (Since we have VIDEO GAMES now). hell I would say yes because people would see it and might buy the real deal (I bought Carcassonne and a deck of bicycle cards because of TTS). That doesn't mean you can't make it for your self though and sharing it with your friends so I don't think they will know, unless they work for Reaper Miniatures as I said before. I say just make it, upload it anywhere IE Tiny upload send it to people who want it bad!!! (like me)