Thread: Snap-points should have different IDs

Snap-points should have different IDs

At present all snap-points affect all objects toggled to have 'Snap' on. This results in inflexibility in use of snap-points - modders cannot have some objects affected by certain snap-points and unaffected by others, with the result that when objects are intended to be placed atop one another, the snapping interferes with expectations.

To solve this, snap-points should display either a number or colour as an "ID". A right-click on the snap-point then cycles through these available IDs (at present a right-click deletes the snap-point, but so does a left click, so there is redundancy). When setting an object to Snap it should have a drop-down menu to tick which IDs it will snap to, with "ALL" being the default, and particular ones "1", "2", "3", etc., or "Green", "Blue", "Red,", etc. That object will then ignore the snap-points of the other IDs.

That would be a lot of IDs for some of my games. It would be better if snap points don't need to have IDs, but can be assigned one if the mod maker needs to specify what snap points an object snaps to.

So, having snap point IDs (either autogenerated like the object GUIDs, or manually created) would be great to have to be able to programmatically send objects to certain snap points for example. You can do that with coordinates, but if you've gone to the trouble of placing a snap point and making it rotate the right way, why not just use that data since it already exists?

For non-scripting use however, I do agree that it would be nice snap point colors. By default, toggling an item to snap would snap to all colors of snap points but you could also choose to have it snap to only specific colors. Visually, I could see a third list appear on the right of the list of toggles in the context menu where you could select which snap colors to snap to. You probably wouldn't need tons of colors anyway for it to solve most needs (just 4 would already be a huge help). I could really use a feature like that for some of my mods, and (hopefully) it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

+1 for "Snap Channel" feature. I'd rather not see it linked to color, however.

By color, I didn't mean player colors. Though it could be mistaken to be that. Maybe having a little A, B, C, D appear on the snap points would make which channel it belongs to clear

I'd do a freeform text list for each the snap and the object. If the Object's list and the Snap Point's list have even one item in common, the object will snap. Otherwise it won't.
    Example -
    snap A has a snap channel list of ["Health", "Stamina"].
    object 1 has a snap channel list of ["Stamina", "Mana"].
    object 2 has a snap channel list of ["Mana", "Willpower", "Guile"].
    object 1 sill snap to snap A (because they share "stamina"), but object 2 will not.

All objects and snaps would start with "Default" in their list, so that current behaviour continues. If an object or snap point has an empty channel list, assume that "Default" is present in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That would be a lot of IDs for some of my games. It would be better if snap points don't need to have IDs, but can be assigned one if the mod maker needs to specify what snap points an object snaps to.
    All I indicate in my post is that the "ID" would consist of one of a number of set types or channels, from a drop-down - "ALL" being the default, and "1", "2", "3", etc., or "Green", "Blue", "Red,", etc., whatever the matching-scheme used was.