Thread: Khronos Hunter initial feedback

Khronos Hunter initial feedback

I've posted this on the DLC announcement thread on the Steam forums as well, but here's the initial feedback I have for Khronos Hunter:

1. For whatever reason, it seems Purple's player piece is Black instead of Purple. Admittedly, it's a minor issue (it's distinguishable from the rest), but stands out to me regardless.

2. The "Level Marker" tokens are only sized correctly for a character card that is in the specific place indicated for a SINGLE character card for each player, since these zones enlarge the card. Since players will most likely end up with multiple characters (due to defeating bosses) and those characters will NOT necessarily start at Lv1, the only two ways to work around this is either make use of an oversight (detailed below) or to shrink the level marker tokens (which at most you'll have to do for 6 of them, though that is unrealistic).

3. The method that shrinks the character card back to normal size when picking it up only fires if the card is touching the scripting zone. It is possible to pick up an enlarged card by dropping the character card in such a way that it is enlarged and then enters a player hand, and then rotating the card sideways and picking it up while it is not in the scripting zone for the character cards (which prevents it from being shrunken back down). This technically bypasses the need to shrink level marker tokens, but shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

4. The english section of the rules is a bit lacking, with some... weird text and typos. Among the ones that made me do a double-take are as follows (courtesy Insanity Wolf-Chan on steam):

One Level-up Acution allow you to ONE level-up in your roster.:you members are added by Victory to the Boss. (sic)
    This seems like it should be "One Level-up Action allows you to level up ONE character in your roster. (Additional characters are gained by defeating bosses)" (although strictly speaking, one boss doesn't give a character when you defeat them)

You can pay double the to obtain the rights to that space from the player. (sic)
    This seems like it should be "You can pay double the cost to take ownership of that card from the player." As far as I can tell from the rules, the only thing this does is replaces the previous owner's marker on the card with your marker, the card itself stays on the same space.

The DLC itself does look and otherwise feel impressive. It's mostly these (mostly minor) things that I feel are holding it back a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Zeta View Post
    ...2. The "Level Marker" tokens are only sized correctly for a character card that is in the specific place indicated for a SINGLE character card for each player, since these zones enlarge the card. Since players will most likely end up with multiple characters (due to defeating bosses) and those characters will NOT necessarily start at Lv1, the only two ways to work around this is either make use of an oversight (detailed below) or to shrink the level marker tokens (which at most you'll have to do for 6 of them, though that is unrealistic)....

...3. The method that shrinks the character card back to normal size when picking it up only fires if the card is touching the scripting zone. It is possible to pick up an enlarged card by dropping the character card in such a way that it is enlarged and then enters a player hand, and then rotating the card sideways and picking it up while it is not in the scripting zone for the character cards (which prevents it from being shrunken back down). This technically bypasses the need to shrink level marker tokens, but shouldn't be necessary in the first place....
    There has [a couple of days ago] been an update for TTS that has addressed DLC issues correctly noticed here by Kitsune Zeta - most importantly the absence of established spaces for additional earned-characters to be placed and level markers for them of the correct scale to be available.

1. For whatever reason, it seems Purple's player piece is Black instead of Purple. Admittedly, it's a minor issue (it's distinguishable from the rest), but stands out to me regardless....
    The reason for this is the simple technical one that Tabletop Simulator assigns "Black" as a player-colour to the "Game Master" role, rather than to a standard player. Thus the real-life boardgame's black pawn needed to be assigned to a different player-colour, i.e. purple in this case [the mod mostly uses black with some purple reflective gleams on it to do its' best to suggest a synergy between the two colours].

...4. The english section of the rules is a bit lacking, with some... weird text and typos.
    Very true, though there is a simple explanation for this: It's an authentic reproduction of the Japanese rulebook itself as originally written. No changes were made for the TTS DLC so as to fully preserve the "Japanglish" experience of playing the game from the perspective of Westerners; the eccentric, slightly zany feel of English from a Japanese viewpoint is always enjoyable for the afficionado of these things.

The creator of Khronos Hunter is also working on updating the English rules, so we'll hopefully see an update to them sometime in the future.