Thread: PBR - Unity Metalness Workflow

PBR - Unity Metalness Workflow

Hey guys! I'm wondering if it would be possible to update the Model/texture importation to allow fully PBR textures... The present Diffuse/Normal map with some preset broad-brush options for Specular values is very limiting visually. I would love it if there was an albedo/metalness/normal workflow or albedo/specular/normal workflow. I realize Unity unlike some other engines isn't quite as friendly towards modern material development, as Albedo/Gloss/Spec/Normal/Additional maps per necessity is the ideal, but there are some improvements that have been introduced to the engine since the release of Unity 5 that would benefit Tabletop workshop developers enormously.

Given the already existing standard of lighting based on skybox/HDR in Tabletop the visuals of your game could be improved dramatically with minimal code implementation, and only one additional overhead streaming texture. As the implementation goes... it's just scripting a link to texture slots in the standard unity shader... I'd even be happy to lend a hand in coding this feature. I realize this is a largely technical topic, and despite increasing popularity, PBR is still unknown to a lot of people. Here's an article that explains the basics of it pretty well as a starting point if you're unfamiliar. Cheers, keep making an awesome game and I hope to hear from you soon!
    "Time waits for no one." - 時をかける少女

Hey 3DFIX, welcome to the community

What you're suggesting is already here. With the use of Assetbundles we can now work in Unity and import directly into TTS.

Have a look here in the Knowledge base for more info

http://berserk-games.com/knowledgebase/assetbundles/
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 05-31-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Hey 3DFIX, welcome to the community

What you're suggesting is already here. With the use of Assetbundles we can now work in Unity and import directly into TTS.

Have a look here in the Knowledge base for more info

http://berserk-games.com/knowledgebase/assetbundles/
    My bad, glossed over this somehow Just tried it out, works great.

vey36ji.jpg
    "Time waits for no one." - 時をかける少女

It would be nice to have emissive and metalness part of the custom model options, though, despite the asset bundle system. Reason is primarily because if I have five models that use different obj files but all the same textures that's a lot less of a bandwidth and memory footprint than five asset bundles.

It would be nice to have emissive and metalness part of the custom model options, though, despite the asset bundle system. Reason is primarily because if I have five models that use different obj files but all the same textures that's a lot less of a bandwidth and memory footprint than five asset bundles.
    Then why are you not turning them into assetbundles ?

You do know you can turn a material or groups of materials into there own assetbundles and add them in the secondary slot across a range of models for just this reason.
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 05-31-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Maybe I'm not getting it. Can i have three materials, all sharing a normal, emissive, and metal map, but with different diffuse maps, all in the secondary asset, then have the model in three different primary assets, each using one of the three materials in the secondary? I can go visual when I get home if I'm not being clear.

Right think of it like this. . .

What you want to do is group all your "Textures" together whether there Diffuse, AO specular Normal or whatever they may happen to be, You just want to add them once even if you've got many, many materials that draw from this data.

So taking the DLC Scythe as an Example. that's almost entirely made of Assetbundles. The entirety of the materials for that game are stored in only Half a dozen or so "Material" assetbundles.

The "Object" Assetbundle that goes in the primary slot only hold the mesh data and the "name" of the Assetbundle that contains all the necessary materials. which you will then place in the secondary slot.

To make a material only Assetbundle simply select all the materials in unity and give them an Assetbundle Name. Every time you want to add another material to that bundle, just give it the same Assetbundle name.
    now when you "Build" your Assetbundles in Unity if a material is in its own Assetbundle it wont incorporate that data into another object in the same project, mearly make a note of where to look when the object that needs it asks for it.

Now personally I stick to a self imposed limit of about 30mb for one of these "Material Assetbundles" so I do have to pay some attention to which materials get grouped together in there respective bundles but its not unusual on some of my more complex projects for a single Assetbundle to hold a 100 plus materials.

This means I often I end up with a Rinky dink object in the primary assetbundle slot and a massive Group Material assetbundle in the secondary slot as its material is contained within that group. Now this does not matter as a score of other objects on the table also have that same material Asstbundle in there secondary slot as well. So you end up with any given texture only loaded into memory across the board . . . just the Once
    Last edited by Lucky seven; 06-01-2017 at 08:24 AM.