Thread: Error loading custom files --- unable to open images in game

Error loading custom files --- unable to open images in game

Hello there!
    I bought Tabletop Sim recently and since I got it I've had this issue where i can't load custom stuff in game.
    Some times its the board, but most of the times the problem occurs with the cards, or at least one face of them.
    I also get a Error in my chatbox where it says 'WWW Error: Couldn't open file ***file URL/Name*** (http://puu.sh/9RonK/d74200a799.jpg --> screencap of the chat box with the error). This happens on multiplayer with fresh downloads and also on singleplayer when i load custom games from workshop subscriptions.
    When i go look for the .jpg in the folder, it is there and i do can see it, so its not corrupted...
    I've already deleted all the URL images countless times and subscribed/unsubscribed items in the workshop as well, but none of these were successful.
    Could anyone help me..?
    I'm really looking forward to playing this game.

Did you try "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache" on steam? It might fix it. If you don't know where it is, Right click on the game in steam library> Properties> Local Files tab.

Thanks for the response!
    But i've already done that....
    I did it again now because I hadn't done one in the new install i made but, again, all files were validated and i still got the same error on servers....

Open the image in paint (the one that comes with windows) and save the image as a .jpeg. Replace the old one in the url folder with the one you just saved. That may help.

I think it might be due to your Username having a special character in the name. I fixed it for many special characters but some still aren't working.

Hello again
    Changing the image type from .jpg to .jpeg didn't work either.....
    About my username characters... I didn't think it was that because i'd seen that it was covered by a past patch, but if some aren't working it could still be the issue indeed....
    Is a fix for it coming soon? I looked it up and its a headache to change the name of that particular folder...

Hey there, its me again.
    Just wanted to say that the last update (2.1) did not fix the problem I'm having....
    Did this update cover the special characters in the usernames name problem?
    Because if it did, my problem isn't could not be that.
    And if the update didn't fixed that, I was wondering if it's gonna be taken care of soon...
    I bought this game 3 weeks ago and still couldn't play it.
    Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same problem in v2.3. My guess is it's connected to my windows username containing and the application not supporting utf-8 characters.

A temporary workaround if you have a special character in your name is to disable mod caching in the settings.

It happens EXACTLY the same with me! I use Windows 10 with Defender. I have even experimented with making copies of both .png and .jpg images. Sometimes it worked. Now not even more!
    In my case they are LOCAL FILES! Nothing has to do with a name.