Thread: Update v2.1 - Promote a player, visual grid, custom rules, more! (Feedback and Bug Reports)

Update v2.1 - Promote a player, visual grid, custom rules, more! (Feedback and Bug Reports)

Custom Grid Added:
    • You can now enable visual grid lines. This is very useful for your RPGs.
    • These grid lines can also be used to snap the location of objects for easier placement.
    • The size of the grid can be adjusted to fit your games rules.
    • Offset can be enabled so that the object snap location is in the middle of squares instead of the lines.

Promote Player:
    • As a host you can now promote a person so they have many admin powers like the host.
    • Promoted player can change the game, spawn objects, and many other host abilities.
    • Promoted player cannot save or load mods, may be possible in the future.

Rules Added:
    • Most of the built in games have an included rules for the game that can be read.
    • You can also modify this for the rules of your modded game.
    • Rules have a 6,000 character limit, so it is a great place to store information that can't be on the notepad.

UI Changes:
    • Games selection menu has been redesigned into the current minimal UI.
    • Tweaked positions and anchors on different elements for a more consistent spacing along of the edges of the screen.
    • Top bar will draw on top of everything else keeping it from being covered up.
    • Spawning is now working properly for Hosts that are in spectator.
    • Drag spawning now uses the position of the UI element instead of the hand.
    • Spectator/Grey color selection is disabled when in hotseat mode.
    • Escape Menu for clients no longer has workshop upload, save, and load.
    • You can now change your color from the escape menu.
    • Server name can now be seen in the escape menu.
    • All the chest windows can now be dragged around, and the chest no longer covers rewind buttons
    • Close buttons have been added to all the windows that were missing them (Settings, Host Options, etc).
    • Ping is now shown next to the players name, it’s color coded (Green <100, Orange 200).

Features:
    • Deck animation added for shuffling.
    • Workshop now supports an infinite amount of subscribed mods, no longer capped at 50.
    • IRC lobby now asks what you want to be named before you connect to the lobby

Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed issues with collision on certain custom objects not working properly on load.
    • Direct connect is now working properly again, color selection issue and Improper info resolved.
    • Custom Table texture will no longer mess up when rewinding.
    • Fixed client custom textures and meshes accidentally being deleted, when a duplicate model is removed.
    • Hidden custom cards in hand now properly load and are no longer white until removed.
    • Fixed spectator/grey host end turn crash.
    • UI code optimization for name plates.
    • Name clipping on circular table reduced by shrinking names.
    • Linux, opening Cards in Chest will no longer crash the game.

To Do:
    • More UI updates
    • RAM Optimization
    • Stability improvement
    • Third Game Mode
    • More Steam Integration
    • and much more!

Update v2.1 - Promote a player, visual grid, custom rules, more! (Feedback and Bug Reports)

This update is great!

2 bug reports related to it:

the shuffle animation doesn't scale to scaled cards (meaning it's not visible when cards are too big) and there's no way to determine who's speaking on mic

Someone64 said

This update is great!

2 bug reports related to it:

the shuffle animation doesn't scale to scaled cards (meaning it's not visible when cards are too big) and there's no way to determine who's speaking on mic

Thanks for the feedback on the cards! On the opposite spectrum of that, the "mini" cards are all out of whack when it is shuffled xD. We'll look into the mic icon not showing up in multiplayer as well. Just tested that out. Thanks again!

This update turned out awesome! Thank you.

Some tweaks that should be sorted out that haven't already been mentioned:

• You can't tell what status a player is (whether they're promoted or not). Maybe a red-coloured crown would be a good option for promoted players.
    • On the instructions menu, the old crown still appears on the "Admin" section. Would it be more appropriate if the new crown was put up there?
    • Changing colours when it's your turn removes the green star next to your name. Turns still work as normal though otherwise.
    • Opening settings doesn't put the window in front of others, which it probably should. Also it's not draggable, when it seems like it should be.

Also I'd like to see a voice-activation setting in the options. Having to press ctrl a lot can be a bit tedious.

EDIT:

• Workshop Update doesn't show you the entire Workshop Image link when you copy+paste
    • Pressing enter in the IRC chat to input what you say starts the in-game chat.
    • It would be better if the grid would only apply to certain objects, for example Tsuro and Carcassonne would both benefit from this. Right click > Snap to Grid checkbox.
    • The old flip table icon still appears in Multiplayer.

Here's a graphical representation of some of my suggestions for continued polishing of the UI..

Couple things to notice,
    1. the search bar for the Game menu
    2. Display options - pull down menu
    3. Multi-page navigation

In the next couple of posts, I'll further explain my vision..

My thinking is, we can do away with the Workshop menu entirely, if a user chooses to subscribe to a mod, it should simply be added to the game modes menu with equal treatment along side the built-in mods..

Notice that the Pretzel mod has been added so one of the original mods has been moved onto the next page.

I would especially feel like the master of my game-room if I could be given the tools to organize my game shelf however I see fit. for this reason I think it would be very intuitive if users could move, or even delete their games in whatever way strikes their fancy.

Long press on a particular game mode and a yellow box appears around the icon along with a red X in the upper right corner (similar to how IOS icons shake and can be deleted after long pressing)

At this point the user could delete the chosen game mode, if so it could look something like this (if there were no additional modes on the next page)..

Or simply drag a mod to another location, a black reticule appears indicating where the icon would be inserted if the user let's go of the mouse button

Then the icons would simply re-arrange themselves accordingly

Chris_Walker said

My thinking is, we can do away with the Workshop menu entirely, if a user chooses to subscribe to a mod, it should simply be added to the game modes menu with equal treatment along side the built-in mods..

(notice the pretzel mod as en example)

The display modes option would then allow the user to quickly filter their game modes in other convenient ways.

This makes finding a game/mod so much easier than it is now. I like the examples that you made. You should also add "Favorite Modes Only". What this does is only show the mods that you Favorited on the workshop.

For the Display options there could be any number of filter options (including Madmon's suggestion of Favorites, perhaps based on most often played, most recently played or simply allowing the user to tag certain game modes as favorites.)
    For example, a user may wish to restore all previously deleted original game modes, the Restore Defaults option might be handy for something like that.

Likewise, a user may wish to temporarily move all of the built-in game modes aside by clicking on the "Custom Modes Only" option..

Of course if you're like me and you want to have a game shelf full of hundreds of games, the Search bar will be especially helpful, as it filters in real-time hiding more and more game modes as you type leaving only those modes remaining that match what you've typed so far etc.

I do think that a UI like these suggestions would be really cool, intuitive and time saving!

Now this next UI improvement would be in my a opinion, a giant leap forward for TTS. I'd like to suggest that Save/Load behavior be standardized to a familiar format, doing away with Save slots in favor of standard file management.

1. Save to File: Change the :Save" option to "Save to File" where the user is then prompted to name the file, and perhaps include a link to a thumbnail for the .cjc file. A view of current files on the HD could then be shown in the default directory, allowing the user full control over where game saves are stored and how the .cjc files are named.
    2. Add as Game Mode: Allow the user to quickly and easily add custom game modes in two simple clicks, with the option of including a custom thumbnail.
    3. Load to File: Similar to the Save menu, the Load option can be changed to "Load to File" resulting in a load menu (see below) this would allow the user to navigate the user's HDD starting with the default TTS Saves folder in order to locate infinite numbers of .cjc files and load them.