Thread: Some models alt-view form top and others from side? How do I control that?

Some models alt-view form top and others from side? How do I control that?

I have two models.... if I hold ALT over them... one popup is looking from the top of the model, and if I hover over the other it is looking from the side.

example

How can I control this.. why is one doing it one way and the other the other way?

Both models are set to "figurine"

Is there a way to assign what position the ALT-View looks at the object.. top, bottom, left, right.. etc etc.
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables

You can't actively control it, The ALT view shows you the longest axis of your model. with a couple of exceptions like dice for example.

I spy with my little eye a certain coin/token made by me - Tragic let me know if you want some more specific textures for your project.

+1 for being able to set the axis for the alt-view for custom models or most simple objects.

@FoaS - hah.. nice spotting.. yes that is one of your coins. If you look at my other mods I always credit anyone I take data from, but these are actually just place holders. They will be replaced by custom GFX at some point.... . . probably : )

Right click the custom object, click custom, and copy the the objects Model/Mesh URL into your browser to download it.

Visit https://www.blender.org/download/ and download a version for your OS. once it's downloaded, open it up press esscape, press A (the preset cube will highlight) then press x and click delete

deleteblender.jpg

Now click File, scroll down to Import and select the extention type of the model, find the model location then double click the objects file name.

importblender.jpg

Now the object is in your blender, Woop.

Hover over your view screen (where the object model is visible) and press N on your keyboard to open a control panal on the right of your screen.

transformation.jpg

now simply click and drag the rotation axis you wish to edit (Edit the Z LOCATION so the object rests on the grid.

Once you have it in the rotataion you require, simply hit file - export - file extention.

Go in game, click Objects > Components > Custom > Model > find the objects model location, upload VIA CLOUD (or no one will be able to see it)

and you're done.

Hopefully this helps

- - - Updated - - -

(The models BASE rotation in a 3D editing software is the exact rotation you see in the ALT view.

Feel free to change to rotation to anything you want

Being able to control the axis is something I wished for a long time, so a +1 for Alt mode axis control from me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumba View Post
    Being able to control the axis is something I wished for a long time, so a +1 for Alt mode axis control from me too.
    I have developed a very simply brute force fix for this....

It is really simple and kinda dirty.. but it works perfectly (so far)

• Get your object sorted, textured and ready to go.
    • Load it in your editor and select a single pollygon.
    • Clone that pollygon to somewhere above the model. Clone it to an element so it is part of the same mesh and not a different object.
    • Select all the vertex's of the cloned pollygon and scale them teeny tinny.
    • Export to TTS.
    • Delete the pollys / Use original mesh / use custom mesh for the collider so the new poly us 100% ignored by the physical engine.

You should now have a mesh with a small group of vertexes floating outside of the main bulk that you can easily drag select and move up and down at will to adjust the height of the mesh.. this works just as well on length. As you are using a separate mesh for collision, these are basically ignored by TTS.. also as they are scaled to what is effectively a single point, there is no shadows or other lighting issues. Also as this is done AFTER texturing it does not interfere with that either. It is also completely reversible.. just drag select the floating verts and delete them to get back to the original mesh.

A - Mesh in TTS
    B - Mesh with Alt-View
    C - Vertex View of original mesh
    D - Polly view with cloned Polly
    E - Polly has been scaled to a near "point".. this is a polly view.. note the floating polly is basically invisible.
    F - Vertex View.. as you can see the Polly is still there, selectable, moveable and deletable.
    G - Exported Mesh in TTS with the new corrected ALT-View

Also, note that the mesh will "view" from a mid point it seams.. so do not make it to high.

NOTE - For some reason whenever I exported from Max it would delete single floating vertexes.. if you have a way to export this method should work by using just a single vertex, and not a polly.

Yes, that is kind of a "fix".
    But still, +1 for Alt mode axis control.

agreed.. I did say it was a brute force fix and kinda dirty.. but it DOSE work.