Thread: 9.6 Update Breaks Custom_Model (Dice)

9.6 Update Breaks Custom_Model (Dice)

Custom Models of Dice no longer have sides for die.getValue() to work.
    You're unable to set the sides for dice in code as well? maybe?

Flo

Have you tried to use the new UI to set up the die? By default a custom model die was only ever a D6 and had certain sides.

Its in the GIZMOs. You click your die, rotate the die to be face-up to the value you want, and add that. Then you repeat for each side. You can also change what value is shown for each side (1 or "One" or "Skull" or whatnot.

I really don't want to set up die. Put the in infinite bags. Then takeobject on the bags. I'm just pointing out that when you spawn a custom model die it should come with default sides not nothing or at least a default_sides = true setting or something.

Moral of the story: They changed the behavior of spawning custom model dice when they did the latest update. I just want a way to use the old behavior.

I take your point, you don't want to go back and make changes. My reason for continuing this conversation is I do not see an easy way to work this into the current systems. Having a toggle property in the menu seems wrong, and it doesn't fit as a scripting property (like object.tooltip, etc). The custom_model import tool doesn't have type-selection-specific options in it, and I'm not sure how that type of menu would work that wouldn't clutter it. I just don't see a way they could work in what you're asking for. If you have some specific ideas, I'm quite sure I haven't thought of everything and maybe it will give them some ideas.

In my opinion however, by default, side-assigning should just be off for custom_model/assetbundle. Custom_die can already automatically assign sides, so when people use assetBundles or custom_models instead in the future, I imagine it will be because their die doesn't confirm to that standard pattern. But if you like, I could make a scripted tool that assigns sides to an object. Maybe a bag that you put something into and it is assigns the default rotation-for-sides that a D6 has. That would save you effort on the manual setup, just pop a handful of dice into the tool bag then put them back on your table or into their infinite bags.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you understand what the problem is. They changed how they handle custom model dice. If you set up a custom model dice and call getCustomObject() you cannot get the table of values for the face values (which is why the problem is there). So I have to, in code now, spawn the dice, rotate them to each side face up and call setvalue(). Seems like in script they need a .setdefaultsides or something in code for the old behavior. I can set the sides pretty easily and just clone them or whatever, just seems like they had a major oversight of the old system and that is why I posted it as a bug.

I believe I get what you mean. By default, custom_model and custom_assetbundle that were set to be a "dice" were given the same ability to use getValue that a D6 had. You couldn't change it, but you could use it for some things.

Maybe you haven't seen the new UI for the rotation tool? It didn't get highlighter super clearly in the update. You don't have to script anything new at all if you don't want to. In the GIZMO section on the left menu is a tool you can use to set these sides for you. Takes about a minute. You just rotate the die to be on the face you want, click on it with that "Rotation Value" tool and hit the + at the top and say what number that side is.

If you wanted to do it with less manual effort, it would be an easy script to write to use getRotationValues() on a standard die (like the default D6 would be the exact some one you had) and then use setRotationValues with that data onto your custom die. I believe, as long as you save, that this is a PERMANENT change to that object from then on. So do this once and its done. Same for using the UI. This is another version of the tool I'd be happy to write for you. I could have it done in all of 15 minutes for you =)

What is this getRotationValues() setRotationValues() call you're referencing? I Still see the need to call .setrotation (1) .setvalue (1) then .setrotation (2) .setvalue (2) etc.

Its new in the latest update (listed in the patch notes). Again, they didn't go into a lot of depth for it, so I totally get why you didn't see them.

This new command can get or set an entire table of those new rotation values. I just made that tool I mentioned if you want it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1101560209

It isn't in the Knowledge Base yet, I assume that will be applied sometime over the weekend or next week. But check out the Rotation Tool in Gizmos (the Gizmo menu down the left side, with the other tools). It gives you a UI so you don't need any scripting to assign values to rotations.
    Last edited by MrStump; 08-05-2017 at 02:57 PM.

I read them, and didn't even notice them. I even checked the github and they were not there. Why not get in the habit changing that, too, guys. I guess someone can change this post to solved.

All the API has been updated - there were a lot of changes, so it took some time. Thanks for your patience.