Thread: After 9.6 setposition from hand not working

After 9.6 setposition from hand not working

Code:
    function return_reward(card, coach, color)
        local return_zone
        if card.getDescription() == coach_states[coach][color].player_name then
            return_zone = coaches[coach].stash
        else
            return_zone = skill_zone
        end
        local p = return_zone.getPosition()
        p.y = 1
        local r = face_down(return_zone.getRotation())
        card.setPosition(p)
        card.setRotation(r)
    end
    This used to work, but now the card goes to the specified position and then smooth-moves back to the hand.
    Last edited by onelivesleft; 08-05-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Yeah there's a bug currently where you can't use setPosition to move cards out of a hand. Or setPositionSmooth only works sometimes.

This is why I'm not happy with the new hand feature. They don't fix the problems pointed out by the community and add features that seem pointless. Why do I need to have chess pieces, dice, poker chips, tokens, tiles, etc in my hand floating? Why can I rotate them, roll them, etc? I get it. It is supposed to be your hand and you're holding them, but why? Does it need to be everything that can go into a hand?

What features did you want hands to have that this patch didn't address? The developers read this forum and if they agree it might be helpful, they may add it.

And I personally can see a lot of games that could use hands, and the unique hiding mechanics they have. Even in the official DLC, Abraca...What? uses reverse hand hiding and could have benefited from this. Custom majong tiles. These are just off the top of my head. Not to mention being able to use multiple hands.

There are some bugs to iron out, but this adds at least a couple of features I have seen suggested on this forum. And I've never really seen the devs just ignore major bugs unless they are caused by something out of their direct control (like unity engine bugs, bugs from 3'rd party plugins, etc)

Florinaia,

Being able to place objects, and rotate objects and cards in your hand have been a long sought after ability with requests going right back to the original Kickstarter.

Tabletop Simulator is still in its growth phase, so the to do list is long...very long and a balance has to be made between adding new (long asked for) features and fixing bugs that Crop up.

If you are concerned that a specific bug needs a fix right now, marshal and argument why you think it needs bumping up the list, and if it gains support from the community then it will get looked at sooner.

If it garners no or little support you just need to accept that that particular bug will need to wait a bit longer.

Squeaky wheels get the grease. . .

There's definitely a use case for players holding objects in hand (I'm assuming they become hidden from other players?)

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    Yeah there's a bug currently where you can't use setPosition to move cards out of a hand. Or setPositionSmooth only works sometimes.
    Smoothmove from hand was always ropey (I never got it to work; called a setposition first to get it out of hand, then setpositionsmooth), but setPosition to get something out of hand worked until now and is something I've used in every game I've made, so I'm sure there will be a lot of broken games until it is fixed.

It was fixed =)

EDIT: Note jk
    Last edited by MrStump; 08-05-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Florinaia,

Being able to place objects, and rotate objects and cards in your hand have been a long sought after ability with requests going right back to the original Kickstarter.

Tabletop Simulator is still in its growth phase, so the to do list is long...very long and a balance has to be made between adding new (long asked for) features and fixing bugs that Crop up.

If you are concerned that a specific bug needs a fix right now, marshal and argument why you think it needs bumping up the list, and if it gains support from the community then it will get looked at sooner.

If it garners no or little support you just need to accept that that particular bug will need to wait a bit longer.

Squeaky wheels get the grease. . .
    It might help is there was a feature tracker / bug tracker.

They most likely have an internal but tracker and just take entries from the forums. There are not so many dozens of reports a week, like maybe 3 or 4, that you can't take a look in the bug forum and get a feel for what people are having trouble with. I agree getting a bit more feedback on what can and can't be easily fixed and why would be useful, and we do sometimes get that information. But this is also a 2 person operation haha

I have the same bug in my game but I've noticed that it only effects the host, all other players are able to have the scripted buttons take objects from hands properly.

Interesting

Yep my script is broken too using setPosition from a Hand.
    Was this intentional as part of the update or will it get fixed?
    When you put a lot of effort in to create a scripted TTS Mod and overnight, what used to work now doesn't, it does not incentivise Modders to keep producing stuff.

It's definitely a bug; I just confirmed that it only affects the host. For the other player it worked fine.

Thanks for confirming it @onlivesleft

I also have some script borkery from this bug, but I believe it will be fixed in short order. I think it was just difficult to pin down fully and, you know, it is the weekend haha

Yeah, feels like one they'll patch pretty quick. If they don't I'm gonna have to make a dummy deck in the place I want and then putObject into it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Creative Guy View Post
    Yep my script is broken too using setPosition from a Hand.
    Was this intentional as part of the update or will it get fixed?
    When you put a lot of effort in to create a scripted TTS Mod and overnight, what used to work now doesn't, it does not incentivise Modders to keep producing stuff.
    Its annoying .. but really its the price you have to pay for growth.. Its almost a guarantee at this point that even minor changes to any of the mechanics of this game will cause problems for some ones pet project. Such is the curse of games with truly massive amounts of community content. Other than collating and investigating the bug reports as they come rolling in there isn't really a way to proof any change entirely, even with the aid of a BETA group, which they do use.

Best thing we can do as a community is to be as thorough as possible with our error reports, give samples and examples of what is or is not happening and give the two Developers as much backing as we can, just to help iron out the kinks that inevitably will occur with any given update.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Its annoying .. but really its the price you have to pay for growth..
    How long do we have to wait for bugs to be fixed for this 'growth'?

Considering we're currently at 0 working days on this bug, maybe let them at least have Monday before gathering up the pitchforks?

While you were posting that Flolania, it was fixed. It was apparently an elusive bug that took a couple of hotfixes to fully correct. Hotfix 3 has it working, and I've tested it any number of ways once it came out and am not finding any issues.

setPositionSmooth doesn't work from hands, but it never has. It is more of a feature adding request than something that would be a bug.

Tested and working