Thread: Feedback for Great Dinosaur Rush

Feedback for Great Dinosaur Rush

Thank you for opening up this forum, I've been meaning to provide some feedback now that I've had a chance to play. While I appreciate the effort put into the DLCs this one just felt a little unpolished. It actually reminded me a bit of Spirits of the Rice Paddy when it first came out (some publisher so maybe not all that surprising) so I'm hoping some minor changes can make it better just like that title.

• Pieces are much too big for the play area
      So the bones fit just fine in the hexes, but the Notoriety tokens are pretty big. Much like Spirits of the Rice Paddy, this seems fine in physical form, but in TTS makes things very fiddly. If the bones and tokens were made smaller so they could all fit on a hex, that might make things a bit easier for players.
    • Not enough room to build dinosaurs within the hidden zones
      So this can be fixed by either reducing the bone sizes (as mentioned above) or making the hidden zones bigger. As things are, your bones easily peek through the zone while you're trying to build. I don't think the bones need to be fully scaled down, maybe just lose a bit of length.
    • Player boards should probably be locked into place
      It's quite easy to accidentally move the player boards while you're manipulating your bones. If this were moved down under the 'sandbox' you could even have more room to make the hidden zones bigger
    • The game board has misprints and is setup incorrectly
      So this is an interesting one: The game board is a misprint. The rulebook clearly states that the TOP of the score board is how the game should be set up, but also later on clarifies that the top is the LOWEST score. If you look at the current board you can see that the highest score is at the top. This can be simply corrected by moving all the cubes to the bottom and honestly this should be the default setup for the game unless you can get a new board. Another problem is that the scoring requirements are swapped. Length (Spine + Tail) has been swapped with Ferocity (Head + Short Limb) which can cause some confusion if some players are looking at the player mat instead of the game board when scoring comes around.
    • The green hidden zone has been setup backwards
      It looks like the green player's hidden zone has been setup to have Reverse Hiding so the green player can't see what's in it, but everyone else can. This is an easy fix for concerned players, hold H and right click the zone, then go to the gear and uncheck Reverse Hiding. Oddly the green zone also has Hide Pointers turned on while the other zones do not.
    • Some rules are a bit obtuse and could use clarification
      So maybe I missed it but some rules don't really seem to be clear, especially when it comes to bones and placement. Like can they only be connected at the end like a joint, or can they be connected in the center. This isn't a dig at the mod, this is a publisher thing. Maybe they can provide errata or an FAQ that can be added like zombicide did. This just kinda reduced enjoyment a bit, and me griping.

I think that's it off the top of my head. Overall I had fun in my first game and I'd love to see some changes. I might make a modified version to upload to the workshop like I did with Rice Paddy in the meantime. Thanks for all the hard work (even if I gripe a little).

I really like these feedbacks. Thank you =)

Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze View Post
    Thank you for opening up this forum, I've been meaning to provide some feedback now that I've had a chance to play. While I appreciate the effort put into the DLCs this one just felt a little unpolished. It actually reminded me a bit of Spirits of the Rice Paddy when it first came out (some publisher so maybe not all that surprising) so I'm hoping some minor changes can make it better just like that title.

• Pieces are much too big for the play area
      So the bones fit just fine in the hexes, but the Notoriety tokens are pretty big. Much like Spirits of the Rice Paddy, this seems fine in physical form, but in TTS makes things very fiddly. If the bones and tokens were made smaller so they could all fit on a hex, that might make things a bit easier for players.
    • Not enough room to build dinosaurs within the hidden zones
      So this can be fixed by either reducing the bone sizes (as mentioned above) or making the hidden zones bigger. As things are, your bones easily peek through the zone while you're trying to build. I don't think the bones need to be fully scaled down, maybe just lose a bit of length.
    • Player boards should probably be locked into place
      It's quite easy to accidentally move the player boards while you're manipulating your bones. If this were moved down under the 'sandbox' you could even have more room to make the hidden zones bigger
    • The game board has misprints and is setup incorrectly
      So this is an interesting one: The game board is a misprint. The rulebook clearly states that the TOP of the score board is how the game should be set up, but also later on clarifies that the top is the LOWEST score. If you look at the current board you can see that the highest score is at the top. This can be simply corrected by moving all the cubes to the bottom and honestly this should be the default setup for the game unless you can get a new board. Another problem is that the scoring requirements are swapped. Length (Spine + Tail) has been swapped with Ferocity (Head + Short Limb) which can cause some confusion if some players are looking at the player mat instead of the game board when scoring comes around.
    • The green hidden zone has been setup backwards
      It looks like the green player's hidden zone has been setup to have Reverse Hiding so the green player can't see what's in it, but everyone else can. This is an easy fix for concerned players, hold H and right click the zone, then go to the gear and uncheck Reverse Hiding. Oddly the green zone also has Hide Pointers turned on while the other zones do not.
    • Some rules are a bit obtuse and could use clarification
      So maybe I missed it but some rules don't really seem to be clear, especially when it comes to bones and placement. Like can they only be connected at the end like a joint, or can they be connected in the center. This isn't a dig at the mod, this is a publisher thing. Maybe they can provide errata or an FAQ that can be added like zombicide did. This just kinda reduced enjoyment a bit, and me griping.

I think that's it off the top of my head. Overall I had fun in my first game and I'd love to see some changes. I might make a modified version to upload to the workshop like I did with Rice Paddy in the meantime. Thanks for all the hard work (even if I gripe a little).
    Hellooo, Mr. Maker here! Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated!

#1 - Never really had the chance to actually play it, so had no idea those went into the hexes as well. I'll look into it and see what I can do about the size.

#2 - Again, didn't actually play what I made yet, so the size for those was just a guess and I wasn't positive if it'd be big enough, so I figured I would wait for feedback on it.

#3 - Good idea, will be done.

#4 - not sure which one is actually wrong, the board or the book, but I'll get hold of them to see which one is the problem and it'll be fixed.

#5 - not sure how this happened, but it'll be fixed.

#6 - If you want to take some time to write out any specific questions you have about them - including the one you mentioned, I can see if the developer has answers for you, and then I can write up an FAQ section in the Notebook.

Also Henry Fairfield Osborn's card says "Osborn was named the Tyrannosaurus Rex" which would be cool, but is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Unifont View Post
    Also Henry Fairfield Osborn's card says "Osborn was named the Tyrannosaurus Rex" which would be cool, but is wrong.
    I think that is referring to the nickname he has. The others have similar names. But if what is on the card is wrong, then what is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
    I think that is referring to the nickname he has. The others have similar names. But if what is on the card is wrong, then what is correct?
    He named the Tyrannosaurus Rex, he wasn't called that (as far as I know).

Here's a picture of the card from the physical copy of the game:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/camo/af7d9...7368322e6a7067
    While the way it is written could mean both that the was named the T.Rex and he gave a name to the T.Rex, he definitely gave the species the name Tyrannosaurus rex in 1905.

Edit: Okay, I just got my physical copy of the game in the mail today and the card definitely says "Osborn was named the Tyrannosaurus Rex." So it's not your mistake, it's theirs.
    Last edited by Unifont; 09-08-2017 at 06:51 PM.

We've updated The Great Dinosaur Rush in our latest update. Thanks!

• New Model and image for the board to fix misprint.
    • New tracker cube Assetbundles.
    • The player mats have been moved down closer to the Hand Zone.
    • The hidden zones are a lot bigger now, about 2x as big, and moved above the player mats.
    • Bones and Notoriety Tokens are smaller so they all fit into the hexes on the board now.
    • "Start Game" script has been modified to adjust to board and other changes.
    • Fixed green hidden zone so it's no longer reversed.

Haven't played a game on the new board yet, but I did take a look at it. Looks good, I like the new cubes.