Thread: Tablet URL Length Increase

Tablet URL Length Increase

Currently it seems that the URL length in the address bar of a tablet is limited to 999 chars, however the tablet in fact supports links to URLs much longer than this. With some websites this makes it difficult to copy and paste URLs from the tablet address bar. As far as I can tell there wouldn't be much of a problem with increasing the length of the string used for the address bar (or even removing this limit). If this could be done I would appreciate it.

what links are more than 999? or are you saying when you click in the address bar only a section is highlighted?

It goes by pretty fast. I just clicked a random link on fb and it looks like this
    HTML Code:
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fjellopcrowdfunding.com%2FPaix-rd-6937383455.html%3Fref%3D3fe9y1%26utm_source%3Djellop%26ja%3Djcf%26utm_term%3D5.jellopcrowdfunding.com%26utm_content%3DPaix-CL7&h=ATMSQYf3yoPoZg3yRiFJlFYCOSGf1XubLufRchRo02tHwLXmP73Vz8oAkeQyf_OLVFslG22u-vKe6k1MAjdcLXTqbXkb438O7chm67eaepkcTsE-liFpxW2J0VY8JiFL3jFfHY4WZ1gKdegK2lvg0vp9dKHyF9HYLI9T5jTwbmSsF6NhuUdazEqPYwrlgAIUJ92gKL-6HEIOBmBHsFUpc2YDLqI8EMShc4x8SCtLZrFz0THO9Ltl1JkUUwN8mrY__4o9lGlPyvoBpWuFqsyH7_7BDRreIFldeRFmNLXe2SL6NM30h1QGvTW7S6NQP6N12VQAYk2TE_9XZrVl38vwZrFVWfnqAxA1IcjqaHiZuch21Gq7DfJWWAJnSR8mMdlpIu8hol8wfgyQwPo0dxv2KNjXE2Lqs_10qybFfYyw9JER3QpD2ON8hSaFlAux5GZwt7y-XEocGlT1Q7vWBS36QkNN2OPqoGgb4hBhlVqXGAO1Azn36EwVM413l_9geKq1M6YD9Fv8kVSk5I0QTmOrTuhmtONfRdGGswepfwOuRQE
    That's 761 characters. So the 999 limit can be reached pretty fast. I second the suggestion.

I was messing with the tablet lately and pages can redirect to URLs muuch longer than 999, something around 11000 worked fine. So that's some input box limitation, tablet works fine with these.

Yes it's most likely an input field limitation not an actual limit placed on the tablet.

So, does that mean you can't do anything about it until Unity fixes it?

That is correct.

I say more input fields !! Then again I really don't care.

Unfortunate. I'll keep my hopes up for a possible fix from unity at some point.

I did know that the tablet was able to handle links far longer without problem and that it was just an issue with the address bar, but I didn't know it was a input limitation. Perhaps as a quick fix in the meantime the tablet could directly copy and paste from the clipboard without an intervening input.

The reason I came across this issue was an implementation of a character sheet I've been working on that saves information in the URL. Unfortunately, as the tablets currently work you can create, copy, and save characters on tablets very easily, but you cannot copy the URL in or out of tabletop simulator for easy editing and sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by LastTalon View Post
    Unfortunate. I'll keep my hopes up for a possible fix from unity at some point.

I did know that the tablet was able to handle links far longer without problem and that it was just an issue with the address bar, but I didn't know it was a input limitation. Perhaps as a quick fix in the meantime the tablet could directly copy and paste from the clipboard without an intervening input.

The reason I came across this issue was an implementation of a character sheet I've been working on that saves information in the URL. Unfortunately, as the tablets currently work you can create, copy, and save characters on tablets very easily, but you cannot copy the URL in or out of tabletop simulator for easy editing and sharing.
    Have you tried the notebook?

A workaround would be to use a URL shortener. I know it's an annoying extra step but it definitely works if you have a really long URL