Thread: Green-Backed items

Green-Backed items

I have to say I love the new update to Darkest Night. It brings it right up to the quality of the other more recent DLC. The only down-side though is that some cards will reference to "Green Backed Items". These are supposed to be single use tokens that have green backs on them, but since this version uses its own tokens (which look very nice by the way) we don't have a way to tell what those items are. I noticed that the new asset bundle tokens could be tinted green to make it work, but you may want to consider making it base-line for the mod to prevent confusion. According to Boardgamegeek.com, the developer has stated the Green Backed items are:

1. Base game:
      • Bottled magic
      • Vanishing dust
      • Waystone
    2. Expansions 1 & 2:
      • Charm
    3. Expansion 2:
      • Soothing lyre
    4. Expansion 4:
      • Cursed ashes
      • Skull token

Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26765336#26765336

NOTE: Was reading the rule books for the expansions, thankfully green backed items are mentioned there, but so are GOLD BACKED (the list is in Tales of Old pages 3-4). So if you want to make these clear (so players don't have to hunt the manual) the Gold Backed Items are:

• Base game: Treasure Chests
    • Expansion 2: Tomes of Retraining
    • Expansion 4: Psion Stones

So I was wondering, instead of making the whole back of the token a tint, maybe just put a ring of gold or green around the edges of the tokens so you can keep the really cool wooden look?
    Last edited by KageKaze; 09-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Updated main post with the following:

NOTE: Was reading the rule books for the expansions, thankfully green backed items are mentioned there, but so are GOLD BACKED (the list is in Tales of Old pages 3-4). So if you want to make these clear (so players don't have to hunt the manual) the Gold Backed Items are:

• Treasure Chests
    • Tomes of Retraining
    • Psion Stones

So I was wondering, instead of making the whole back of the token a tint, maybe just put a ring of gold or green around the edges of the tokens so you can keep the really cool wooden look?

I've updated the tokens to match the psion, ash and skull tokens with their respective green/gold backs, these should be added with the next update.

Here's a rundown of the tokens

Green-backed tokens
    • Vanishing Dust
    • Bottled Magic
    • Charm
    • Soothing Lyre
    • Waystone
    • Cursed Ash
    • Skull Token
    • Key - albeit not mentioned, I went ahead and added a unique back to the key as well for uniformity as I do not believe this would cause a problem or confusion.
      If you disagree then let me know and I'll revert it.

Gold-backed tokens
    • Psion Stone
    • Treasure Chest
    • Tome of Retraining

Hopefully that should cover them all. If you find anything else then be sure to let me know, thanks

Thanks KageKaze. As CHRY mentioned, he's got it all fixed up, so we'll have this added to the next update. Thanks!

Been playing a few games since I posted trying each expansion in turn and I love how each one takes a core rule and changes it in some way.

I want to note that after seeing some cards that I don't think Keys should be given a green back as the rules do not call them as such and some cards can give green items. This would change up the base rules for keys, making them a bit too easy to get (assuming a player didn't see the rulebook clarification on green back items, it is easy to miss as it's in the last xpack). Also the Mystery cards have spaces on the cards that the keys are actually supposed to fill. This is impossible with the new larger key tokens. While I love how they look, would it be possible to get a scale version of the key that's just a key cutout like before so they can fit on the cards as they are cleared?

Sorry that my response is so late, hopefully there's enough time between updates still to make a change, if not this wouldn't really make playing the game a problem.

The update rolled out today! (with the changes we originally mentioned), so I'm afraid that will be sticking. Regardless, let us know what you think.

Thanks!