Thread: Steam Cloud for images

Steam Cloud for images

How does the Steam Cloud for MOD images work?
    I 've been using the steam cloud to store the images for my MODs for the last 6 months.

I ended up synching my Steam account with another computer and now all my Steam Cloud images don't work anymore?

What's up with that?

I figured once I uploaded an image to the Steam Cloud, it would stay there forever so anyone who played my MOD would have access to it.

Now I've inexplicably wiped them all out! It shouldn't be that easy to accidentally wipe out your entire Steam Cloud.

I hope there is an easy fix for this issue.

Anyone familiar with this issue and how to fix it?

Andy

Maybe when you tried, there was a blip with steam cloud? If you try again now, is it still blanked out? My understanding was pretty much anything we put in there was in there indefinitely. And logging in from different computers wouldn't impact that. I didn't even think there was a "delete everything" method for TTS's use of steam cloud

Nope, No blip with steam cloud. Just Gone.

When I log onto my other machine, and check the Steam Cloud, It looks like all my images are there, It shows a place holder for each image with its URL Link, put it says image not found (Instead of being able to see the image like before).

I tried using that arrow button to upload all images again and it says "No update needed" which implies to me the the images are on the steam cloud.

It would be very bad if I had to upload every image again from inside each MOD one at a time - take forever

When I was on the other machine, Steam gave me the out of synch message, Which files do you want to use, local or online files message. I assumed it was just talking my save game files so I chose local.
    Apparently it also meant everything related to Steam (including the steam cloud).

Since I didn't have my images on the local machine I think it synched my Stream Cloud with no images.

Would it do that? I hope not but it looks like it.

Any solutions out there?

Andy

If I reload all my images, will all the url links change?
    Can I reload multiple images all at once or is it one at a time?

Any way to reload an image for a url link already in the Steam Cloud that has lost its image?

As I troubleshoot this issue, I believe my images are still on the Steam Cloud, but they are now inaccessible - I think their url links have been changed/corrupted.
    Steam Cloud still says I have about 7GB used in the Steam Cloud, and I have the space holders for the images with the url links (I can still copy the url links when I tap the image holder) but when I try to look at the image I get the 404 error saying image not found. So the url links are no longer good.

If I load up the image again, I get a new url link for that image. Not totally new, only the beginning part of the url link is different. Everything after the "/" in the link remains the same for each image.
    So I guess it's possible for me to reload all the images, and then edit the JSON file and do a replace for all the url links except for the part after the "/".

Still a bunch of work for 1000 images I had on the Steam Cloud.

Is there a way to load all my 1000 images at once, instead of one at a time?

Sure would be helpful.

Andy

If you copy an image URL (that links to your steam cloud) and open up a web browser and paste that URL into it, does the image load?

When I copy an image url from one of my images from steam cloud and open it up in the web browser it returns a big fat
    Not Found

That's not good, I'll see if I can get any help from someone who understands the steam cloud service better, but that doesn't sound good.

Thanks
    I have a sinking feeling Iíve zapped my steam cloud and will have to upload all the images again

Iíll wait a couple days before I start doing anything Incase somebody comes through and has a solution for recovery

Do you have the "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Tabletop Simulator" checked under Properties - > Updates?

2017-12-12.jpg

You could try contacting Steam and see if they're able to help you restore your Steam cloud to its previous state.

Yes, I have have the "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Tabletop Simulator" checked under Properties - > Updates.

I sent a message to Steam asking if it were possible to restore my Steam Cloud to a time prior to this unfortunate event.

Researching the issue though, I learned that all the images that one uploads to the Steam Cloud are in the exact same place where your Steam Cloud save games go.

Steam Cloud saves are generally very persistent, and to some players rather annoying, so there are techniques that can be used to wipe your Steam Cloud game saves.

TTS Developers who use the Steam Cloud though, should avoid these techniques so they don't wipe their Steam Cloud out. I accidentally stumbled into this without realizing Game Saves and uploaded Images are in the same spot.

It's rather unsettling knowing your uploaded images are more vulnerable than originally thought on the Steam Cloud.

By the way, when the Steam Cloud gets wiped, it doesn't actually delete anything from the Steam Cloud, it just zeroes out all the URL links and makes all the images inaccessible. They still reside on the Steam Cloud taking up space, just permanently inaccessible.

Received a response from Steam.
    They informed me the Steam Cloud is not a storage platform and thus not subject to back-up.
    The only purpose of the Steam Cloud platform is to provide synchronization of Save Games and images between different computers.

So I ended up reloading all my images to Steam Cloud and updating my MODs with the new URL Links.
    Mildly painful.

I won't make that mistake again.

Andy