Thread: TTS Loses More Content To Unlawful DMCA Claims

Angry TTS Loses More Content To Unlawful DMCA Claims

This is basically a copy of a post I already made on the Steam Discussions page but it might not have a lot of longevity there so I'm also posting it here to enlighten on the situation many mod makers are suffering from...

As a presence here I can say for a fact that the majority of content we play/make has an existing basis, probably 90% of it is just a virtual replication of what already exists - which is fair enough.

But Valve once again, as always, has little regard for who they eliminate in their DMCA witchhunts. Some of you might be familiar with some of my content, Scoobie's Scrolls (which was Spotlighted) and a few others, like my Legendary Metal Coins Collection which were these little pretties here: https://i.imgur.com/bvlwpXA.png

Well it turns out that someone had the bright idea to purge 'Legendary' from the Workshop here because clearly they are the rightful holders of that IP, including the word apparently.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I received and a list of the other poor mods which were unrightfully purged alongside my own: https://i.imgur.com/07eVX52.jpg

Although I can't speak about other content there, my mod which is based on coins for use in TRPGs or any other tabletop application really, is made by a European company called Drawlab Entertainment. I actually own these coins in real life and essentially made a virtual representation, all credit was given to Drawlabs and I don't profit from this in any way.

But then again that doesn't really matter, Upper Deck - the ones who filed the DMCA who describe themselves as:
    We're not just a "trading card" company; we're a worldwide sports and entertainment company. We're a company with PASSION and ATTITUDE...about sports...about authenticity...about quality and innovation.
    Decided that my coins infringe on their rights, well Steam/Valve were too lazy to actually find the legitimate copyright content and decided to purge anything with the term 'Legendary', not just that but also punish the uploader which now means I can't rectify any of my content or make any new stuff until 5th of November, 2013. Oh yes this is true: https://i.imgur.com/sHOsUcP.png

Already put in a support claim to Valve but I doubt they will take any notice, this all stemmed from the links to my Scrolls going down, and I couldn't seem to update the description with my new links, how odd I thought? Then I decided to look online for this issue and that's when I saw this in my e-mail.

So there you have it folks, unless anyone has a time machine my mod posting days on TTS are over, and likely all the other poor sods like me. I can't even fathom doing a Counter-Complaint nor am I capable so it's the end for me pals.
    ⊰✤⊱ Looking for a large and active Dungeons & Dragons community? Join The TTS D&D 5E Guild here! ⊰✤⊱

It is sad to hear about your mods... I backup all the mods I enjoy with TTS Backup as well as upload a PRIVATE copy to my workshop with no description and a truncated name... etc.... it is the only way to be sure that you can keep your content.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
    As a presence here I can say for a fact that the majority of content we play/make has an existing basis, probably 90% of it is just a virtual replication of what already exists - which is fair enough.

But Valve once again, as always, has little regard for who they eliminate in their DMCA witchhunts. Some of you might be familiar with some of my content, Scoobie's Scrolls (which was Spotlighted) and a few others, like my Legendary Metal Coins Collection which were these little pretties here: https://i.imgur.com/bvlwpXA.png

Well it turns out that someone had the bright idea to purge 'Legendary' from the Workshop here because clearly they are the rightful holders of that IP, including the word apparently.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I received and a list of the other poor mods which were unrightfully purged alongside my own: https://i.imgur.com/07eVX52.jpg

Although I can't speak about other content there, my mod which is based on coins for use in TRPGs or any other tabletop application really, is made by a European company called Drawlab Entertainment. I actually own these coins in real life and essentially made a virtual representation, all credit was given to Drawlabs and I don't profit from this in any way.
    Just to offer a counter opinion...

I have to say that "90%" (just plucked that figure out of thin air) of content IS copywrite infringement. Just because you own the original stuff, dose not mean you have the writes to publish it and it is Steam's duty to protect publisher and designer rights. If the publisher and the designer want it gone, then Steam absolutely has to, and is morally obligated to, remove it with out ANY discussion. Also it matters not one jot if it is in Vassal or OCTGN or LackeyCCG or any other online sources. The fact it is available elsewhere isn't reasoning for it to be available in a new location as well.

Do not fool yourself. The vast majority of the players user TTS for and much of the TTS content is a form of piracy allowing players to play games for free that would otherwise cost a lot of money. Also, please to anyone reading that do not offer the erroneous and absolute garbage argument that "if I wasn't going to buy it anyway, then it doesn't count". That is just weapons grade baloney.

But then again that doesn't really matter, Upper Deck - the ones who filed the DMCA who describe themselves as:
    We're not just a "trading card" company; we're a worldwide sports and entertainment company. We're a company with PASSION and ATTITUDE...about sports...about authenticity...about quality and innovation.
    Decided that my coins infringe on their rights, well Steam/Valve were too lazy to actually find the legitimate copyright content and decided to purge anything with the term 'Legendary', not just that but also punish the uploader which now means I can't rectify any of my content or make any new stuff until 5th of November, 2013. Oh yes this is true: https://i.imgur.com/sHOsUcP.png
    This dose sound a little harsh. Take downs can often pick up "legitimt" people. I am really into video blogging YouTube and get copywrite problems now and then from randoms as well. You just have to live with it unfortunately : (

Already put in a support claim to Valve but I doubt they will take any notice, this all stemmed from the links to my Scrolls going down, and I couldn't seem to update the description with my new links, how odd I thought? Then I decided to look online for this issue and that's when I saw this in my e-mail.
    What you need to do is contact the makers of the coins and other content you had taken down and get written permission to use their art assets. Then send that to steam and everything will be good.

So there you have it folks, unless anyone has a time machine my mod posting days on TTS are over, and likely all the other poor sods like me. I can't even fathom doing a Counter-Complaint nor am I capable so it's the end for me pals.
    I know you are angry, but that seams extreme. Your mods are good ones, maybe you could email them to me and I'll post them up again. Also you can of course repost with new names once you ban is up (which is why the ban is there in the 1st place)
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables

DMCA is a controversial subject. Basically, a rights holder or their representative files claim with a company (like Steam) to quickly remove content they claim is infringing on their ownership. This can be done incorrectly and abused, and often is.

The good news is, if you are legitimately the rights holder of what you publish, or publishing with the owner's consent, then you are able to counter-complaint. Typically then the person who filed will be informed and can choose to move ahead with legal proceedings. This is where mistakes would typically be noticed by someone, since they don't want to press forward with a complicated ,expensive lawsuit over an accident.

The bad news is, in other to counter-complaint, you need to know you aren't infringing on someone else's ownership. I am not a lawyer, so don't take any of this as legal advice, but simply "giving credit" and expecting not to get something DMCA'd because you don't feel it should be is asking to be disappointed. In this case, it very much sounds like Upper Deck (or their representative) made a mistake. Which means you should be able to simply respond claiming that you do not have any of their works contained in that workshop item. But if you aren't comfortable doing that, or cannot because you HAVE infringed... well... yeah. That is how it is.

Also for the counter-complaint, the requirements (summarized) are (1) Link to what got remove, (2) State (under penalty of perjury, so do not lie) that you believe the item was removed do to a mistake, (3) Your name/address/telephone and (4) agree that you consent to your local federal District Court (sorry sovereign citizens), then (5) sign it.

It isn't much more than what you would have sent to steam support to outline your issue. But if you DID indeed infringe, this opens you up to a lawsuit.

I really think this is a shame. I was hit by this due to my Legendary Encounters: Firefly mod and I fully accept they had every right to hit it, but I don't like they just picked a keyword and banned a bunch of stuff under it without checking first.

If Upper Deck, or many other game companies for that matter, offered a better solution (such as having an official DLC on TTS) then I wouldn't be as frustrated. I've bought many games after playing them on TTS. TTS is what even got me back into playing board games. But the truth is I don't get a lot of time to play physical board games, my primary reasons for making mods are not only to show people these games they might be interested in, but to have a way to play them because there's just no one here to play them with.

Unfortunately there's no perfect solution and for now I simply will keep encouraging people to support the games they like by buying the official products

Just thought I'd update the situation, Steam reneged on their ridiculous ban so I am now able to edit/upload my content again. I still have to fight for the coins though which I may do at the start of the new year. I'll get in contact with Drawlab Entertainment and see if they'd be willing to provide me with consent, unlikely but it is what it is!
    ⊰✤⊱ Looking for a large and active Dungeons & Dragons community? Join The TTS D&D 5E Guild here! ⊰✤⊱

Yeah, it is a lot like fan games. They want to be a part of something they love and want to share it with others and the rights holders typically need to step in to protect their ownership. We're lucky many developers feel as we do and are happy to let their games be playable in TTS