Thread: Hmmm... pretty quiet around here.

Hmmm... pretty quiet around here.

I and my group of gamers have been a little frustrated with the scripting in the game. The algorithm that deals quest cards is buggy, getting into a mode where any action in the card row including moving a movement card causes the game to turn another card from the quest deck into a growing stack in the first quest space. My friends also note that the markers for health, max health, power, and max power are a bit hard to manipulate. Finally they have trouble seeing essential information because the fonts and images are too small relative to screen real-estate.

I would like to address these and possibly publish a version for the "hard of seeing". I post this here, as I have found no direct way to contact the developers of this game.

Thanks for the feedback!

As for the scripting, the way it was set up to work is that when a player drops a card, the game checks that "quest card" area for the 3 cards it is meant to have. If it is missing one, it moves cards if necessary and draws one out into that first slot. It also makes sure that both quest and movement cards are available and cycles the cards if one type is not (a rule for the game).

The reason you are having this trouble is somehow a deck was formed in that first player space. I am unable to make this happen without manually putting a card on top of another card up there. If you can figure out a way to reproduce how the deck was formed, please let me know how to do it so I can fix that, but it may have just been slight human error.

Either way, I will be building a fix for this that also checks for decks and the cards they contain, but it may not be out until the next major patch. It should treat a "deck" just like a single card with the face-up card. I may also look into adding a feature so the drawing script will only trigger after you drag a card out of the row.

As for publishing a version for the vision impaired, if you meant you are interested in changing item sizes/layouts/scripting and uploading it to the workshop, that is allowed. Users would still need to own the DLC but would be able to play your modified version. You just don't have access to the original art assets.

I've written the fix, it will be in a future update. Now, if a deck forms in the quest card row, which I believe can only be done by a player until I hear of a way to force it to happen automatically, you get a printed warning message in game chat advising you to remove the deck then drop any card anywhere to restart the automatic dealing.

Thank you!

Oh, and you are right that the cause of the discarding behavior is player clumsiness. We often grab a card and immediately drop it unintentionally. The other thing we do is pick up a card and then realize we shouldn't. Silly user!

I just looked at onObjectDropped. Instead of keying on tag = "Card", might it be more effective to use something more specific such as string.sub(o.description, -6, -1) == "Quest"?
    Last edited by cche; 03-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Ah you mean for testing if the drawing script should be activated? I do have lists of card names I think (I have to tell the movement quest from collection quest cards to suit that game rule requiring at least 1 of each type to be present in the row).

I can't argue that the check wouldn't be better practice for coding, but is the current system using onObjectDrop not working well? I only ask because if I went back re-doing scripting in DLC over and over until it was ideal, I would probably never be able to stop haha