Thread: Do cards, tokens, tiles, and scripted spaces use different amounts of memory?

Do cards, tokens, tiles, and scripted spaces use different amounts of memory?

I'm making a card game similar to nanofictionary (but for professional screenwriters as opposed to children). This is going to require several hundred cards, spanning several decks. The board will have spaces above and below each card where you can place a token, tile, card, or select a choice from a drop down menu that modifies the main card. I'd like to use tokens or tiles for the modifiers because they need to be different sizes. However, placing multiple modifiers next to several hundred cards is going to add up quickly. So I want to do what's most memory efficient. Do tokens and tiles use more, less, or the same memory as cards? I've tried looking up the answer and can't find it.

Can you make drop down menus with a script, and would that use more memory than placing tokens, tiles, or cards? Can you put a drop down menu on anything? It would useful to put some on board spaces and some on cards. Thank you very much if you can answer these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise sloth View Post
    I'm making a card game similar to nanofictionary (but for professional screenwriters as opposed to children). This is going to require several hundred cards, spanning several decks. The board will have spaces above and below each card where you can place a token, tile, card, or select a choice from a drop down menu that modifies the main card. I'd like to use tokens or tiles for the modifiers because they need to be different sizes. However, placing multiple modifiers next to several hundred cards is going to add up quickly. So I want to do what's most memory efficient. Do tokens and tiles use more, less, or the same memory as cards? I've tried looking up the answer and can't find it.

Can you make drop down menus with a script, and would that use more memory than placing tokens, tiles, or cards? Can you put a drop down menu on anything? It would useful to put some on board spaces and some on cards. Thank you very much if you can answer these questions.

I do not know about the drop down menu thing.. there is a new UI system just introduced that uses XML that may be able to do this..

As for the memory thing. I do not think it would be a problem.

For starters you could place your tokens in bags and then use the script to take them out of the bag when needed. In TTS, anything in a bag is "out of memory" and loads as it comes onto the table. So you can store huge amounts of data in bags with no effect to the main table.

Also, you may have many tokens, but most likely only a few unique ones. The main memory issue is the bitmap. Once that it loaded it is not much more expensive to have 500 tokens or 1 token. As long as they have the same image.

I have made a few card games that have lots of tokens and use infinite bags. I place 1 token in each bag and the scripts just grab them as needed.
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables