Thread: UI Issues

UI Issues

Very nice work with the new UI system! I requested something like this a long while back and never expected something so powerful to be available to users. I've noticed a few small issues:

1. As far as I can tell, fontStyle="BoldItalic" does not work on Text. It seems to simply revert to normal text.

2. Toggle does not seem to be resizable. I have tried changing the width and height properties, but it seems to always be the same size.

3. RESOLVED: Cannot access a UI element via scripting if the UI is attached to an object. For example, if I have a custom UI defined as custom_object.xml with an element with an id="dropDownList" and I try to call UI.setAttribute("dropDownList", "active", true) from custom_object.ttslua, it does nothing. If you have the same id defined in Global.xml, though, then it will successfully change the attribute.

RESOLVED:
    Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    To edit an objects UI you need to access the UI field on that object obj.UI.setAttribute()
    4. RESOLVED: Cannot use Global.call from a function called from a UI function. For example, I often use
    Code:
    if Global.call('checkControlPanelPrivileges', {sColor = sPlayer}) == false then return end
    which calls my global function to check if the person that pushed the button has privileges. This works fine with a button created from code, but from an XML-defined UI I get this error:
    Code:
    C:\Users\<user>\.atom\packages\tabletopsimulator-lua\lib\tabletopsimulator-lua.coffee:2405 Error in Script (Control Panel p. 1 - 45460c) function <toggleDropDown>: Object reference not set to an instance of an objectObject reference not set to an instance of an object
    handleMessage @ C:\Users\<user>\.atom\packages\tabletopsimulator-lua\lib\tabletopsimulator-lua.coffee:2405
    C:\Users\<user>\.atom\packages\tabletopsimulator-lua\lib\tabletopsimulator-lua.coffee:2405 Error in Script (Control Panel p. 1 - 45460c) function <call/checkControlPanelPrivileges>: chunk_1:(2483,4-41): cannot access field  of userdata<LuaGlobalPlayer>chunk_1:(2483,4-41): cannot access field  of userdata<LuaGlobalPlayer>
    RESOLVED: This was my misunderstanding. The player that is passed in the onClick parameters is the actual LuaPlayer reference, when I was expecting a string color like with the Lua buttons. Once I corrected this, I no longer had an issue.

5. Button icons do not work if the UI is attached to an object. Using the same UI in Global correctly displays the icons.

WORK-AROUND: set the icon in the onLoad() method of the object.

6. When changing between different states of a stated object, any changes made to the UI in onLoad() don't seem to work. This makes it a bit more difficult to modify the UI dynamically, since it will reset each time you change states. Un-stated objects work just fine. Even when saving/loading, the onLoad() method can update the UI elements before they are seen.

7. Tool-tips don't seem to work for UIs attached to objects.

In case you are curious what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to localize my control panel. In the onLoad(), I am setting the text of various elements based on the current language setting.
    Last edited by Sancho; 07-15-2018 at 06:24 AM.

To edit an objects UI you need to access the UI field on that object obj.UI.setAttribute()

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    Thank you, Knil I marked #3 resolved.

I found a work-around for problem #5. Simply set the icon attributes in the onLoad() method of the object and they will appear. Would still be nice if this was resolved, but I'm happy with the work-around.

I consolidated the list in the original post and added a #6. I also marked #4 resolved, which was my fault all along.