Thread: .atom broadcasts then...

.atom broadcasts then...

...nothing.

What happens is I'll be making changes to scripts and I'll hit CTRL + SHIFT + S to "Save & Play" and that will work about 90% of the time. Then I'll save on the ~10th time and it'll say "broadcasting" like normal in the .atom client but TTS doen't get the message.

I change nothing at all in TTS (no new objects, didn't change a settings, didn't update an object).

The only way I can make it start working again is to manual reload the game in TTS which also removes all my edits as the "new" (old) scripts are broadcast to atom. I have since learned to Copy All before doing this and just slapping it back into the "reloaded" script I was working on but I really need this behavior to stop.

Any ideas? I use #include which has worked since I started using it and it's a lifesaver in so many ways but the behavior sort of started around the same time. Possibly related?

I have this problem as well. not sure why it happens.. but updateing doesn't work.. you need to load the game again, and sometimes even then reload atom and connect... I have gotten in the habbit of copy the entire script of I have been working on to clipboard before committing... that way if it has a problem I can just paste it back in. The sucky part is that you have to work on a single page at a time.
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables

To try to narrow down what's happening, please enable extra logging at each end:

In Atom, go to the package settings (ctrl-, -> packages -> tabletopsim) and tick Verbose Logging in the Developer section. Hit ctrl-shit-i to display the developer console.

In TTS, in the system console type 'edit autoexec', and add
    Code:
    +debug_external_api
    and then reload your game.

Now when you Save & Play, atom should log everything it sends, and TTS should log whatever it receives. You should be able to tell if atom is failing to send, or if atom is sending and TTS is failing to receive.

As an aside, I recommend having nothing but #include in your top level code. i.e., Global.-1.ttslua should just be one line: an #include pointing at a file on your hdd. Same for any objects. In those files you can #include more and have your actual code. See http://blog.onelivesleft.com/2017/08...r-package.html for a better description; the point being if you do it this way you will never lose any code because of reloading in TTS, and you can check your code into svn|git|w/e.

All extra logging on in both atom and TTS.

Also, thank you for the tip of putting all code in the included files. Done. No more having to remember to CTRL-A and paste it all back in. -cheers

Thank you much, it was far too difficult to figure out what was going on because one time it would do it when I had a run time error then the next time no errors at all in TTS but it would still stop working. It *seems* completely random but programming for a very long time (somewhere around the first SSI games coming out; heh) I know nothing is actually random... except my cat. He' totally random.

Is there a way to turn off auto-saving in TTS?

I've looked under the system tab "help all" "commands" and "variables" and I'm not finding it.

I want to shut it off completely to rule out something funky going on between TTS autosaving and me broadcasting with .atom at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by onelivesleft View Post
    As an aside, I recommend having nothing but #include in your top level code. i.e., Global.-1.ttslua should just be one line: an #include pointing at a file on your hdd. Same for any objects. In those files you can #include more and have your actual code. See http://blog.onelivesleft.com/2017/08...r-package.html for a better description; the point being if you do it this way you will never lose any code because of reloading in TTS, and you can check your code into svn|git|w/e.
    Ok.. but what would be a good workflow system for that.. If I was only going ot use includes includes in all the scripts and no code.. I would need another editor other than atom to do the work right? As I do not think I could handle not having the autocomplete stuff and all that that I am used to using..

Like I would need Atom Open and connected with and still do "send to TTS" but it would only have includes on each page right? So I would need another editor open for the actual editing that is not connected to edit the include files that has autocomplete?
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables

Quote Originally Posted by berserk3k View Post
    Is there a way to turn off auto-saving in TTS?

I've looked under the system tab "help all" "commands" and "variables" and I'm not finding it.

I want to shut it off completely to rule out something funky going on between TTS autosaving and me broadcasting with .atom at the same time.
    There isn't, but that would be a good thing to expose so I'll try and get it in next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by onelivesleft View Post
    As an aside, I recommend having nothing but #include in your top level code. i.e., Global.-1.ttslua should just be one line: an #include pointing at a file on your hdd.
    Your aside was the fix it seems. I'll be sure to jump back here if I was mistaken but I'm 8 hours in deep now with a 0% occurrence rate... or restarting my computer this morning did it (got hit with a windows update). ~laughs

All the same, I think that may of fixed it.