Thread: Call from same named card in a different deck

Question Call from same named card in a different deck

In Cosmic Encounter, players draw two cards randomly from a deck of powers (flares) and choose one to keep, discarding the other. There's a second deck (aliens) with the same number of cards and with the same names, but with detailed instructions unique to each power. Once a player has chosen a flare, they are supposed to take the same named alien card from the other deck. There are game variants where alien powers stay hidden until they are used later in the game.

Players searching through the aliens deck last have the advantage of identifying through deduction which aliens were chosen by the players who searched first.

Is there a way through scripting (or otherwise) to provide a same-named card (aliens) as a chosen card from another deck (flares) without needing to search the aliens deck?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Last edited by SmahChinSki; 11-26-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Clarity

Thinking it over, a non-scripted method could be to spawn a new complete alien deck in front of each player, have them select their power, then delete the unused alien cards from each player. It would rely on the honor system, so it's not perfect, but it works.

A total of 10 flares, including the flare for each player's alien and random others to make up the difference, are added to the main play deck. The main deck list could be searched at the end of the game to ensure each player's flare cards are there. If someone has an alien power and the corresponding flare is not in the main play deck, we know they cheated and chose an alien other than than the two dealt to them at the beginning.

In this case, could there be a way to script something that compares the names of two side by side face down cards and reports to chat if they're not the same?

picking a named card from a deck is not a difficult thing to do in scripting, as long as all the cards are named correctly. I could write a small tool for you pretty easy, if you like.

Just to be clear...

Both the cards have the EXACT same name?
    My Boardgame uTube chan - Tragic's Table Top
    BGG Guild of BoardGame uTubers - Tube Tables

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    Just to be clear...

Both the cards have the EXACT same name?
    If they don't currently, they will. And it would be optimal if the named card wasn't announced to the rest of the players. The purpose of this is to prevent the other players from knowing the card you picked, while at the same time preventing you from seeing the remaining contents of the deck.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by SmahChinSki View Post
    If they don't currently, they will.
    Unfortunately I have to take that statement back. If the alien card is "Barbarian", the flare card is named "Barbarian Flare". I want the "Barbarian Flare" flare card to call for the "Barbarian" alien card.

Sorry for the confusion.

Are these cards hidden from other players?

No. Both decks are visible. I could probably hide either deck if necessary.

Ok.. when I find some time I'll look into this....

I was thinking a small tool.. you could place next to the deck.. the player drops their card onto it, and it draws the new card for them.. then they can just pick the both up.

This is exactly what I was envisioning. Like a card sorter.

Thanks for your help!

Ok there you go...
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1577283316

Basically just drop your card on the cog and it will fetch other cards by the same name. Even if there is more than one.

• Right click on the deck and go to SCRIPTING and click on GUID to copy the deck GUID you want the tool to work with.
    • Right click the COG and paste (ctrl+v) the deck guid into the DESCRIPTION
    • Now simply drop the card on the cog to fetch

• In the corner is Stumps DECK FIX tool.. if you find problems... try putting the deck onto that tool and resetting all the card GUIDs.

I havn't extensively tested it, but the position data uses the size of the cog for the offset, so you should be able to scale this and place it anywhere and it will work. It also means you can replace the cog with any shaped custom obj and it should also still work.

I'll test it out tonight. Thanks so much!!

It works like magic even without the need for the deck fix tool. Could I have you make just a couple slight tweaks? Then it would be perfect:

- Remove the announcement of the card name in chat
    - Bring out both cards face down instead of face up
    - Place the card drawn from the deck beside the original card instead of being dropped on top of it. You can even leave the original card on the tool and not move it at all after being dropped if that's easier.

Thanks again!

oh gee... it is never enough!! haha.

UPDATED : 30/11/2018

ADDED : I have, as per-request, added a second tool that deals the new cards out into separate decks and face down. It works exactly the same. Just choose the tool you would prefer to use.
    CHANGED : I have removed the txt print out debug stuff I always seem to forget to silence before publishing my mods lol

ADDED : I have added a 3rd version of the tool. This one deals the found card into a single deck. (like the original version) but the cards are face down, so are hidden.

It should be noted that imo, the tools that form a deck is a much better option, as the player can simply mouse over the deck and press a number to automatically draw the cards into their hands. So if there are 2 cards, hover over and press "2". This dose not work on single cards.

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH
    --Tragic
    Last edited by Tragic; 11-29-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Thank you! I really appreciate the work you put into this.

The goal isn't to draw cards from the top of the deck. It's to find a mate to a different card with the same name in a different deck without giving any player an opportunity to browse the deck and determine which card was chosen by process of elimination.
    It keeps the draw secret to only the player taking the card without giving any unnecessary information away.

BTW, it works perfectly.

ur welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SmahChinSki View Post
    The goal isn't to draw cards from the top of the deck. It's to find a mate to a different card with the same name in a different deck without giving any player an opportunity to browse the deck and determine which card was chosen by process of elimination.
    It keeps the draw secret to only the player taking the card without giving any unnecessary information away.
    Yeah that is what it dose.. what I meant is that when it fetches the card one of the versions will place the found card AND the original card into a 2 card deck face down. Once it has done that the player can hover the mouse over those 2 cards and simply press "2" and instantly draw both cards into their hand, the found card and the original card. This is just a way to streamline the functionality of playing the game.