Thread: VR Players as Interactable Objects

VR Players as Interactable Objects

Hey There,

I run a DnD campaign for a couple of friends with VR headsets (and am a player with the same group as well). First off, great job on the VR, it really adds to the whole experience and is now our preferred way to play DnD even though we live minutes away from each other.

As the title states, we are making a push for VR players to be objects, much like a die, that can collide with other objects, be picked up and moved, maybe even shaken around. (Whirlwind anyone?)

Of course, it would not be a permanent state and will most likely be a toggle option set by the player him/herself.

This could open up a ton of immersive gameplay such as sneaking past something and if you bump them you fail, actually flying through the air, having to dodge a rolling bolder (hard to tell if you succeed without collision confirm), getting caught in a whirlwind and failing your save...

I hope it would be as easy as adding the "die" property to the player and positioning the hit box about chest level, although, I would be rich if my hopes were dollars.

Anyway, that's it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. If this gets through, awesome, if not, we will still be playing table top simulator in the future, so its never too late!

I normally don't do this, but I think having a player as a physical object to my modified would be a bad idea. One of the first things that I learned with VR is to not move the player (the player camera) without their input. I think this would create a lot of really sick player really quickly. Even as an opt-in option, I don't think it's a good idea.

maybe it could be scripted with https://api.tabletopsimulator.com/player/#lookat ?

It's a good idea.
    You could attach a camera to a car, and keybind movements to the car, and have VR tabletop racing.
    could even do it with space ships. Or making VR guided tours of things.

Nice, some comments!

Quote Originally Posted by FoaS View Post
    I normally don't do this, but I think having a player as a physical object to my modified would be a bad idea. One of the first things that I learned with VR is to not move the player (the player camera) without their input. I think this would create a lot of really sick player really quickly. Even as an opt-in option, I don't think it's a good idea.
    That is definitely a valid concern for some, but not for everyone. Me and my friend group don't seem to have any problems with VR motion sickness and we've played games like Windlands, Adr1ft, Elite Dangerous. I believe having a toggle option will prevent those with motion sickness from using the feature and thus prevent them from getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by customKarma View Post
    maybe it could be scripted with https://api.tabletopsimulator.com/player/#lookat ?
    Oh, I haven't looked into the TTS scripting at all. I didn't realize it could move the players camera around. Although, it looks like the #lookat command forces the third person. I don't know how that would work in VR.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_03 View Post
    It's a good idea.
    You could attach a camera to a car, and keybind movements to the car, and have VR tabletop racing.
    could even do it with space ships. Or making VR guided tours of things.
    Is this with the Lookat command that was mentioned? I am always down for a little VR racing.